    something. I just bought an Olympus 8080wz and am wondering if my Vivitat
    283 will damage it or even work with it?

    Pbug
    pbug, Aug 12, 2004

  2. pbug

    John Bean Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:35:14 -0400, pbug wrote:

    > Seems like I heard somewhere that you couldn't use just any flash with
    > digital cameras. I think it may have something to do with voltages or
    > something. I just bought an Olympus 8080wz and am wondering if my Vivitat
    > 283 will damage it or even work with it?

    Depends how old it is. New 283 - fine. Old 283, maybe, but if not it will
    fry the camera. Test the voltage across the contacts, the new type will be a
    few volts, the old one runs into hundreds.

    If in doubt don't try it.

    --
    John Bean

    Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin
    with, that it's compounding a felony (Robert Benchley)
    John Bean, Aug 12, 2004

  3. pbug

    Nostrobino Guest

    "pbug" <> wrote in message
    > Seems like I heard somewhere that you couldn't use just any flash with
    > digital cameras.

    Depends on the camera. My slightly older Fujifilm MX-2900 has a standard hot
    shoe and works fine with any standard, non-dedicated flash such as your
    Vivitar 283. Also, my Minolta 7i and 7Hi cameras have a standard PC terminal
    for connecting to any standard electronic flash, though I haven't had
    occasion to use it. These latter also have Minolta's unique hot shoe for
    Minolta flash units, but only the newer D series flash units are recommended
    for it. I don't think using an older Minolta-shoe flash would damage
    anything, but just wouldn't function 100% correctly.

    > I think it may have something to do with voltages or
    > something. I just bought an Olympus 8080wz and am wondering if my Vivitat
    > 283 will damage it or even work with it?

    Doesn't your owners manual tell you this?
    Nostrobino, Aug 13, 2004
  4. pbug

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Nostrobino" <> wrote in message

    [ . . . ]
    > Vivitar 283. Also, my Minolta 7i and 7Hi cameras have a standard PC

    terminal

    Oops. Correction, the 7Hi has that PC terminal, not the 7i.
    Nostrobino, Aug 13, 2004
  5. pbug

    WebKatz Guest

    "pbug" <> wrote in message
    > Seems like I heard somewhere that you couldn't use just any flash with
    > digital cameras. I think it may have something to do with voltages or
    > something. I just bought an Olympus 8080wz and am wondering if my Vivitat
    > 283 will damage it or even work with it?

    Works great with my 5050, but it has protection against high sync voltages.
    Haven't heard that about the 8080. You might want to check the 8080 Yahoo
    newsgroup http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus_405080/ or Alfred Molon's
    8080 site http://www.molon.de/8080.html.

    Dave
    WebKatz, Aug 13, 2004
  6. pbug

    browntimdc Guest

    "Nostrobino" <> wrote in

    > "pbug" <> wrote in message
    >> Seems like I heard somewhere that you couldn't use just any flash
    >> with digital cameras.
    >> I think it may have something to do with voltages or
    >> something. I just bought an Olympus 8080wz and am wondering if my
    >> Vivitat 283 will damage it or even work with it?

    > Doesn't your owners manual tell you this?

    Here's a source of trigger voltages of various strobes:

    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

    Tim

    --

    "The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
    and the second strongest is to resist it."

    Kenneth Graham
    browntimdc, Aug 13, 2004
  7. Try here: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html There are devices
    called "Safe Sync" sold which will isolate high transient voltages from the
    camera circuit.

    Darrell Larose, Aug 13, 2004