Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redist x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, Apr 23, 2008.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    "The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable Package (x64)
    installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run 64-bit
    applications developed with Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack on a computer that
    does not have Visual C++ 2008 installed.

    This package installs runtime components of C Runtime (CRT), Standard C++,
    ATL, MFC, OpenMP and MSDIA libraries. For libraries that support side-by-side
    deployment model (CRT, SCL, ATL, MFC, OpenMP) they are installed into the
    native assembly cache, also called WinSxS folder, on versions of Windows
    operating system that support side-by-side assemblies.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...df-4798-4fce-8a8b-a8dfe556c8e4&DisplayLang=en

    And here's the x86 version that coexist with the x64 version in Vista x64
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E4-ADAD-4000-ABFE-64628A267EF0&displaylang=en

    Not an imperative update. Doesn't do any harm to install it.
    As I have already mentioned before I have stumbled a couple of times with
    applications that needed these dll's that were not included in their
    installation packages (ffdshow, RivaTuner, to mention a few).
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 23, 2008

  2. Thanks, Carlos!

    Makes me wonder when they will be releasing a 64bit 'Rat Pack Feature'?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 24, 2008

  3. > Not an imperative update. Doesn't do any harm to install it.
    > As I have already mentioned before I have stumbled a couple of times with
    > applications that needed these dll's that were not included in their
    > installation packages (ffdshow, RivaTuner, to mention a few).

    Those writing applications that require them should know better than not
    redistributing files they have dependancies on.

    OTOH, getting those from MS would probably be useful in some environment
    where you want to preload machines with a specific image.

    Homer J. Simpson, Apr 25, 2008