    Hi, one of my friends says he is going to learn Visual Basic. Not wanting to
    sound stupid, I just replied, "Good Choice". What is Visual Basic and what
    does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

    Paul, May 28, 2004

  2. Paul

    Thor Guest

    It's a scripting language created by Microsoft. Sort of akin to what
    JavaScript does.

    Thor, May 28, 2004

  3. Paul

    GTS Guest

    VB is a programming language and set of tools for software development.
    (Strictly speaking it's not a language, but a Microsoft implementation of
    the BASIC programming language.) It's popular because of it's relative ease
    of use and learning, large set of built in controls and capabilities, and
    large 3rd party market for add in tools.

    The other post confuses VB and VB Script. VB Script is a scripting tool for
    web development. It is based on the VB language and is similar to Java
    Script in purpose. The new Visual Basic.Net blurs the distinction somewhat
    as it supports both general programming and web development using the Net
    framework.

    GTS, May 28, 2004
  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I am relatively new to programming although I like to think I am clued up.
    How hard is VB.NET to learn,how long should it take and is this the best of
    all VB's to learn??? If you all had a choice of programs to learn, what
    would you start on and why?

    Paul, May 28, 2004
  5. Paul

    Thor Guest

    > The other post confuses VB and VB Script. VB Script is a scripting tool

    for
    > web development. It is based on the VB language and is similar to Java
    > Script in purpose. The new Visual Basic.Net blurs the distinction somewhat
    > as it supports both general programming and web development using the Net
    > framework.

    Yes, you are quite right, thanks for setting the record straight on that. I
    just plain forgot about VB, versus VB script.

    Thor, May 28, 2004
  6. Paul

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in

    > I am relatively new to programming although I like to think I am clued
    > up. How hard is VB.NET to learn,how long should it take and is this
    > the best of all VB's to learn??? If you all had a choice of programs
    > to learn, what would you start on and why?
    >

    > "GTS" <> wrote in message
    >> VB is a programming language and set of tools for software
    >> development. (Strictly speaking it's not a language, but a Microsoft
    >> implementation of the BASIC programming language.) It's popular
    >> because of it's relative

    > ease
    >> of use and learning, large set of built in controls and capabilities,
    >> and large 3rd party market for add in tools.
    >>
    >> The other post confuses VB and VB Script. VB Script is a scripting
    >> tool

    > for
    >> web development. It is based on the VB language and is similar to
    >> Java Script in purpose. The new Visual Basic.Net blurs the
    >> distinction somewhat as it supports both general programming and web
    >> development using the Net framework.
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Hi, one of my friends says he is going to learn Visual Basic. Not

    > wanting
    >> > sound stupid, I just replied, "Good Choice". What is Visual Basic
    >> > and

    > what
    >> > does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

    You should be learning Visual C# .NET or Visual C++ .NET. Visual Basic
    ..NET is locked in on the .NET Framework and Managed Code.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 28, 2004
  7. Paul

    VWWall Guest

    Thor wrote:
    >>The other post confuses VB and VB Script. VB Script is a scripting tool

    > for
    >
    >>web development. It is based on the VB language and is similar to Java
    >>Script in purpose. The new Visual Basic.Net blurs the distinction somewhat
    >>as it supports both general programming and web development using the Net
    >>framework.

    > Yes, you are quite right, thanks for setting the record straight on that. I
    > just plain forgot about VB, versus VB script.

    See Karen's writeup about Visual Basic Runtimes:

    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/runtimes.asp

    for a good description and for the run-time routines needed.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    VWWall, May 28, 2004
  8. Paul

    GTS Guest

    > You should be learning Visual C# .NET or Visual C++ .NET. Visual Basic
    > .NET is locked in on the .NET Framework and Managed Code.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Visual C# .NET or Visual C++ .NET are also "locked in" to the NET framework.
    (Personally I prefer C# to VB.NET but they're both .NET tools.)

    GTS, May 28, 2004
  9. Paul

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "GTS" <> wrote in news:OQOtc.1634$:

    >> You should be learning Visual C# .NET or Visual C++ .NET. Visual
    >> Basic .NET is locked in on the .NET Framework and Managed Code.
    >>
    >> Duane :)
    >>

    > Visual C# .NET or Visual C++ .NET are also "locked in" to the NET
    > framework. (Personally I prefer C# to VB.NET but they're both .NET
    > tools.)

    Sorry on this one, but they are not locked into the .NET Framework and
    either one of the solutions can produce Unmanaged Code. C# .NET is more
    geared towards the .Net solution and the .Net Framework. C++ .NET can use
    the .Net Framework as well. However with C++ .NET, one can create
    complete applications/programs using Unmanaged Code (not needing the .Net
    Framework) at all.

    VB.Net is totally Managed Code and must use the .Net Framework.

    Hell, the company is not slamming this .Net training down my throat for
    nothing. :)

    Doing the company training and studying for the MCSD .Net certification,
    I know more about .Net than I ever wanted to know about it to this point.
    :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 28, 2004
  10. Paul

    GTS Guest

    That depends on your goals and interests and on what platforms you want to
    address. If you want to learn some programming relatively quickly for a
    hobby or general interest, then VB.NET is probably a good choice. It's
    relatively easy to learn and will replace VB 6 (the last pre .NET version)
    over the next few years. It can be used for both local and Web related
    development (with Microsoft Web servers). It is substantially limited to
    the Windows platform, though in theory other platforms could support the
    Common Language Runtime embodied in the .NET framework. There is also
    starting to be some demand for .NET skills in the job market. Note that C#
    is a C based .NET language that can be used with the .NET framework, and is
    another possibility, though you might find it a bit more difficult. How
    long is also a difficult question. To become a versatile and skilled
    programmer maybe 3 to 5 years. To be able to write a few simple programs
    for personal use much less.

    If you are looking toward developing professional skills, I would recommend
    getting some exposure to C++. It's more difficult to learn but forces one
    to develop deeper skills and system knowledge and is transferable to
    non-Microsoft platforms.

    The important core skills in programming are not specific to a particular
    language and you'll acquire certain basic skills with whatever you choose.

    GTS, May 28, 2004
  11. Paul

    GTS Guest

    > >> Duane :)
    > >>

    > > Visual C# .NET or Visual C++ .NET are also "locked in" to the NET
    > > framework. (Personally I prefer C# to VB.NET but they're both .NET
    > > tools.)

    > Sorry on this one, but they are not locked into the .NET Framework and
    > either one of the solutions can produce Unmanaged Code. C# .NET is more
    > geared towards the .Net solution and the .Net Framework. C++ .NET can use
    > the .Net Framework as well. However with C++ .NET, one can create
    > complete applications/programs using Unmanaged Code (not needing the .Net
    > Framework) at all.
    >
    > VB.Net is totally Managed Code and must use the .Net Framework.
    >
    > Hell, the company is not slamming this .Net training down my throat for
    > nothing. :)
    >
    > Doing the company training and studying for the MCSD .Net certification,
    > I know more about .Net than I ever wanted to know about it to this point.
    > :)
    >
    > Duane :)

    Thanks. I stand corrected. I do recall, as I see your comment, that
    C++.NET can create Unmanaged Code. I didn't think that was true of C#
    though. Are you sure on that?

    GTS, May 28, 2004
  12. Paul

    PCportinc Guest

    >What is Visual Basic and what
    >does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

    it sucks!
    The only BASIC you should learn
    is Commodore64 BASIC not Microsoft's Visual Basic.
    Perhaps you should try TRS-80, or VIC-20 BASIC as well.

    PCportinc, May 29, 2004
  13. Paul

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "GTS" <> wrote in news:DpPtc.1120$:

    >> > Visual C# .NET or Visual C++ .NET are also "locked in" to the NET
    >> > framework. (Personally I prefer C# to VB.NET but they're both .NET
    >> > tools.)

    >> Sorry on this one, but they are not locked into the .NET Framework
    >> and either one of the solutions can produce Unmanaged Code. C# .NET
    >> is more geared towards the .Net solution and the .Net Framework. C++
    >> .NET can use the .Net Framework as well. However with C++ .NET, one
    >> can create complete applications/programs using Unmanaged Code (not
    >> needing the .Net Framework) at all.
    >>
    >> VB.Net is totally Managed Code and must use the .Net Framework.
    >>
    >> Hell, the company is not slamming this .Net training down my throat
    >> for nothing. :)
    >>
    >> Doing the company training and studying for the MCSD .Net
    >> certification, I know more about .Net than I ever wanted to know
    >> about it to this point.
    >> :)
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Thanks. I stand corrected. I do recall, as I see your comment, that
    > C++.NET can create Unmanaged Code. I didn't think that was true of C#
    > though. Are you sure on that?

    For some reason, C# .Net and it being able to produce Unmanaged Code
    stands out in my mind. I'll have to verify this again. But that will be
    after the holiday weekend when I return to work.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 29, 2004
  14. Paul

    Duane Arnold Guest

    atSPAM (PCportinc) wrote in

    >>What is Visual Basic and what
    >>does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

    > it sucks!
    > The only BASIC you should learn
    > is Commodore64 BASIC not Microsoft's Visual Basic.
    > Perhaps you should try TRS-80, or VIC-20 BASIC as well.

    And what is your definition of VB 6 sucks? What is it that you think VB 6
    cannot do? I been using it for awhile and it has done everything I have
    asked it to do from making COM++ dlls and other dlls used in OPPs
    programming used in N-tier applications, along with ActiveX controls for
    the UI and used it for FAT client applications.

    VB 6 holds its own as a viable programming language.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 29, 2004
  15. Paul

    derek / nul Guest

    On 29 May 2004 02:13:15 GMT, atSPAM (PCportinc) wrote:

    >>What is Visual Basic and what
    >>does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

    >it sucks!
    >The only BASIC you should learn
    >is Commodore64 BASIC not Microsoft's Visual Basic.
    >Perhaps you should try TRS-80, or VIC-20 BASIC as well.

    A lot of other people in the world don't agree with you.

    Derek

    derek / nul, May 30, 2004
  16. Paul

    Robert Baer Guest

    derek / nul wrote:

    > On 29 May 2004 02:13:15 GMT, atSPAM (PCportinc) wrote:
    >
    > >>What is Visual Basic and what
    > >>does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

    > >it sucks!
    > >The only BASIC you should learn
    > >is Commodore64 BASIC not Microsoft's Visual Basic.
    > >Perhaps you should try TRS-80, or VIC-20 BASIC as well.

    > A lot of other people in the world don't agree with you.
    >
    > Derek

    How about Tiny Basic?

    Robert Baer, May 30, 2004
  17. Paul

    PCportinc Guest

    >>>What is Visual Basic and what
    >>>does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

    >> it sucks!
    >> The only BASIC you should learn
    >> is Commodore64 BASIC not Microsoft's Visual Basic.
    >> Perhaps you should try TRS-80, or VIC-20 BASIC as well.
    >>

    >And what is your definition of VB 6 sucks? What is it that you think VB 6
    >cannot do? I been using it for awhile and it has done everything I have
    >asked it to do from making COM++ dlls and other dlls used in OPPs
    >programming used in N-tier applications, along with ActiveX controls for
    >the UI and used it for FAT client applications.
    >
    >VB 6 holds its own as a viable programming language.
    >
    >Duane :)

    wow! have you ever tried moving a balloon sprite in vb from bottom to top of
    screen?
    how about poking and peeking?
    no, you havent, because you dont even know what I was talking about as you
    werent born when I used the C64.

    PCportinc, Jun 1, 2004
  18. Paul

    Duane Arnold Guest

    atSPAM (PCportinc) wrote in

    >>> it sucks!
    >>> The only BASIC you should learn
    >>> is Commodore64 BASIC not Microsoft's Visual Basic.
    >>> Perhaps you should try TRS-80, or VIC-20 BASIC as well.
    >>>

    >>And what is your definition of VB 6 sucks? What is it that you think
    >>VB 6 cannot do? I been using it for awhile and it has done everything
    >>I have asked it to do from making COM++ dlls and other dlls used in
    >>OPPs programming used in N-tier applications, along with ActiveX
    >>controls for the UI and used it for FAT client applications.
    >>
    >>VB 6 holds its own as a viable programming language.
    >>
    >>Duane :)
    >>

    > wow! have you ever tried moving a balloon sprite in vb from bottom to
    > top of screen?
    > how about poking and peeking?
    > no, you havent, because you dont even know what I was talking about as
    > you werent born when I used the C64.

    Is that right? You can hand me one of your Pampers so that I can change
    you. I started in the field in 1971 and started programming in 1972. I
    was into providing program business solutions and not Mickey Mousing it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 1, 2004
  19. Paul

    PCportinc Guest

    >>>VB 6 holds its own as a viable programming language.
    >>>
    >>>Duane :)

    LOL.

    PCportinc, Jun 2, 2004
  20. Paul

    Duane Arnold Guest

    atSPAM (PCportinc) wrote in

    > LOL.

    I see you're no more than an old troll that needs a Pamper, bottle and
    possibly several sedatives in the bottle. You can play with your balloons
    and that old rattle you have had for the last 25 years or so on your own
    time - not mine. In the mean time, I'll use VB, C# and C++ and put the
    $$$$ in my pockets. <g>

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 2, 2004