    Hi, one of my friends says he is going to learn Visual Basic. Not wanting to
    sound stupid, I just replied, "Good Choice". What is Visual Basic and what
    does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.
    Paul, May 28, 2004

  2. Paul

    Doug Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Hi, one of my friends says he is going to learn Visual Basic. Not wanting to
    > sound stupid, I just replied, "Good Choice". What is Visual Basic and what
    > does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

    Visual Basic (more commonly called "VB") is essentially a development
    language, like C++ etc.

    As to whether its any good, and worth learning, I couldn't comment. Last
    time I saw VB was version 3.0, which was 10 years ago now.

    Don't mean to be rude, but a Google on "visual basic" would have
    answered this. Oh, and for the record, this is the wrong group for this
    sort of thing. There's a VB group, no doubt.
    Doug, May 28, 2004

  3. Paul

    Leythos Guest

    In article <SPDtc.24189$>,
    says...
    > Hi, one of my friends says he is going to learn Visual Basic. Not wanting to
    > sound stupid, I just replied, "Good Choice". What is Visual Basic and what
    > does it do? Is it any good, Worth Learning? Thanks for any help.

    VB is Visual Basic. It's a programming language that lets people quickly
    develop applications of all types in an easy to learn (compared to
    others) language.

    VB6 was the last version of VB that was produced by MS before they came
    out with the .Net version. As a programmer of 20+ years, I would tell
    your friend that it's a waste of time to learn VB and to start learning
    VB.Net instead. The friend should also strongly consider C# (pronounced
    as C-Sharp).

    While I still code in VB (as well as many other languages, VB is going
    by the wayside and is considered to be out-of-date at this time. With
    the new systems (XP Prof and 2003) on the market VB.Net is a much better
    choice. I personally found that moving from VB to VB.Net was a challenge
    since I had the VB programming mind set and VB.Net is not really like
    VB.

    When I get jobs that I hire programmers for, it's VB.Net or C# skills
    (in the MS world) that I look for.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, May 28, 2004
  4. Paul

    paul boyd Guest

    Thanks! Much appreciated

    Paul.

    paul boyd, May 28, 2004
  5. Paul

    johns Guest

    The advantage of learning VB 6 is that Visual C++
    or C# is nothing but eye candy with absolutely no
    documentation at all. Both are impossible to do
    serious work that is not just re-writing some kind
    of word processor or low-end CAD app. VB 6
    will allow top down code to be embedded in a
    visual model with ease, and there is a world of
    documentation supporting it. I challenge a beginning
    programmer trying to have a good learning experience
    to add 2 + 2 in Visual C++. That is something you
    should try right away, and get clued in to what a
    total waste of time it is.

    johns
    johns, May 28, 2004
  6. Paul

    Leythos Guest

    In article <c97noj$nmq$>,
    says...
    > The advantage of learning VB 6 is that Visual C++
    > or C# is nothing but eye candy with absolutely no
    > documentation at all. Both are impossible to do
    > serious work that is not just re-writing some kind
    > of word processor or low-end CAD app. VB 6
    > will allow top down code to be embedded in a
    > visual model with ease, and there is a world of
    > documentation supporting it. I challenge a beginning
    > programmer trying to have a good learning experience
    > to add 2 + 2 in Visual C++. That is something you
    > should try right away, and get clued in to what a
    > total waste of time it is.

    While you may like VB, and I do too, VB is on it's way out and being
    replaced by VB.Net. C++ and C# are great languages, but not for the
    casual programmer.

    VB is a great language for beginners, but, in my experience, once a
    person learns VB they will have a harder time learning C++ or C#.

    What's really a shame is that MS didn't create an easy porting method to
    move from VB to VB.Net.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, May 28, 2004
  7. Paul

    Will Dormann Guest

    Leythos wrote:

    > What's really a shame is that MS didn't create an easy porting method to
    > move from VB to VB.Net.

    VB.NET has a built-in utility to convert existing VB applications to
    VB.NET. Or are you talking about something else?

    -WD
    Will Dormann, May 28, 2004
  8. Paul

    Leythos Guest

    In article <nVJtc.433$>,
    lid says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    > > What's really a shame is that MS didn't create an easy porting method to
    > > move from VB to VB.Net.

    > VB.NET has a built-in utility to convert existing VB applications to
    > VB.NET. Or are you talking about something else?

    VB.Net does not properly convert a LOT of VB objects properly. I have
    every version of VB and VB.Net and not one of my applications has fully
    ported from VB6 to VB.Net.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, May 28, 2004
  9. "Will Dormann" <> wrote in message
    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    >> What's really a shame is that MS didn't create an easy porting method to
    >> move from VB to VB.Net.

    > VB.NET has a built-in utility to convert existing VB applications to
    > VB.NET. Or are you talking about something else?
    >

    > -WD

    It will not even convert the simplest of applications without going back and
    manually editing a truck load of code. You will never find anyone attempting
    to convert anything of any real size, as only a re-write would make sense.
    John E. Carty, May 30, 2004