Visual Basic error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Michael, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I’ve been developing a system in Visual Basic (VB-5. I know it’s
    outdated, but I’m so far along in it that I’ve been afraid to rock the
    boat by rebuilding the project in VB-6, which I have). Anyway,

    I have until now never had any problem building a distribution file
    for transferring to CD for sales distribution, but now I find that
    when I build the file and then try to install from it using the
    SETUP.EXE file that VB supplies, he aborts the installation. I printed
    out the Installation LOG file and this is the message that he gives me
    as the cause of the Abort:

    The file ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\$(DLLSelfRegisterEx)’ could not be
    registered because it was not found.

    I don’t know whether the Installation process is looking for this file
    because he always looks for it or because something in my distribution
    folder is telling him to look for it. Do you know? If it’s something
    in my distribution, any clues as to how I would go about locating what
    it is that triggers the search for the file. If I absolutely must have
    the file in any case, any idea where I might get it (say, the Windows
    Installation CD, the Internet, whatever)?

    I have moved from Windows 98 to a Windows XP recently and I don’t
    recall whether I’ve ever tried to make a distribution CD under XP. I
    suspect this is the first attempt.

    Any help would be appreciated

    Michael, Jun 29, 2003

  2. Michael

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:31:05 GMT, Michael wrote:
    > I’ve been developing a system in Visual Basic (VB-5. I know it’s
    > outdated, but I’m so far along in it that I’ve been afraid to rock the
    > boat by rebuilding the project in VB-6, which I have). Anyway,
    >
    > I have until now never had any problem building a distribution file
    > for transferring to CD for sales distribution, but now I find that
    > when I build the file and then try to install from it using the
    > SETUP.EXE file that VB supplies, he aborts the installation. I printed
    > out the Installation LOG file and this is the message that he gives me
    > as the cause of the Abort:
    >
    > The file ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\$(DLLSelfRegisterEx)’ could not be
    > registered because it was not found.
    >
    > I don’t know whether the Installation process is looking for this file
    > because he always looks for it or because something in my distribution
    > folder is telling him to look for it. Do you know? If it’s something
    > in my distribution, any clues as to how I would go about locating what
    > it is that triggers the search for the file. If I absolutely must have
    > the file in any case, any idea where I might get it (say, the Windows
    > Installation CD, the Internet, whatever)?
    >
    > I have moved from Windows 98 to a Windows XP recently and I don’t
    > recall whether I’ve ever tried to make a distribution CD under XP. I
    > suspect this is the first attempt.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated

    $(DLLSelfRegisterEx) is not a specific file but rather a call to an object
    in the runtime library. Your VB5 files may be calling some control that
    doesn't exist in XP in the same way the VB runtime libraries think it
    should. I think the problem is in the VB libraries themselves and not just
    in a missing system file. Without knowing more I would guess your best bet
    is to upgrade VB to the XP version and debug your code until it runs on VB6/
    XP. Then go back and check compatibility for 98.

    Another possibility is that the way you are finally building the
    distribution file is at fault. The installer that you are currently using
    may be the one making the bad object call. There is a free utility for
    Visual Studio (VB) but it is for VB6:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/vsi11/download.aspx

    A long shot would be that you have to create the distribution copy while
    logged in as the Administrator.

    The move from 98 to XP is quite a leap.

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

    Jimchip, Jun 29, 2003