    The price for the software is very high. If I cannot practice on the more
    advanced edition(professsional), how can I obtain the skills needed to have a
    career in development.
    K. Allen, Jan 8, 2006

  2. January 7, 2005

    :) Very goooood question.

    #1 - Almost 95% of the chapters in that book can be done with the Express
    editions. - Only a few select things cannot be, so definitely download the
    free Express editions and start right away.

    #2 - If you are in college, you probably qualify for Academic licensing,
    which was about $99 for the Pro edition of the 03 edition... normally about
    $1400.

    #3 - Trial editions of the higher versions are available, and you usually
    get a 6 month trial with each Microsoft Press Training Kit for the MCP
    Exams. - Which I was able to pass in my first 3 months of .Net programming.
    I know the thought of taking an exam may sound strange to you, but they are
    definitely 'in reach'. When you get close to the end of the Step By Step
    book, I definitely suggest you buy one of the Training Kits.... which should
    have a trial edition of the higher version and if you pass that exam, I
    think you'll definitely want to take yet another exam, which will get you
    another Kit which will have another trial, and so forth. :)

    #3 The Standard/Pro editions are sometimes given out at MSDN events, which I
    highly recommend you go to maybe a few months down the line... :)

    Hope this helps!!! Let me know if you have further questions! :)

    --

    Joseph Bittman
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

    Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD, Jan 8, 2006

  3. K. Allen

    K. Allen Guest

    Thank you, Joseph. I am going to get started on obtaining a copy that I can
    work with.

    K. Allen, Jan 10, 2006
  4. K. Allen

    Vipul Patel Guest

    Best of luck for your quest to become MCAD.

    Regards
    Vipul (MVP)

    Vipul Patel, Jan 16, 2006
  5. K. Allen

    Sean Guest

    In addition to what others have said, Wrox publishers and MS Press now have a
    pretty good system. The books they have are often caterogrized into three
    levels of knowedge. So for example any MS Press book with the words
    "Step-by-Step" are perfect for starters.
    I personally perfer Wrox but I forget how they title theres

    Sean, Jan 17, 2006
  6. K. Allen

    Lydon Bergin Guest

    I believe Wrox starts out with "Beginning....{Title}", then goes to
    "Professional", and finally, "Expert". Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't
    personally think Wrox is better or worse than MSPress, I have had success
    with both.

    Lydon D. Bergin
    MCP, MOS

    Lydon Bergin, Jan 17, 2006