Vistax64 not connecting automatically to internet via yukon 88e800

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by ketzazu, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. ketzazu

    ketzazu Guest

    I have an Asus A8V with an integrated Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
    Gigabit Ethernet Controller. This card will not connect to the internet no
    matter what kind of drivers I use when I was using Linksys routers. Last
    week, I connected it to an Westell DSL modem and I was shocked to connect to
    the internet ( the wireless dongle that I used for over a year to access the
    internet vanished and my kids could not tell me why).
    The problem is that after rebooting Vista Ultimate 64 bit, the computer
    will not connect to the internet again unless I roll back the drivers or
    update the drivers for the ethernet controller. it seems that the computer
    does not remember to keep the working settings and initialize the ethernet
    card to access the internet after booting up. Using a different ethernet card
    requires the same "rolling back or updadating again; the current drivers.
    I never have to do that when I was using the USB 2.0 wireless adapter. At
    boot up, the computer would always connct automatically thru the wireless
    network.
    My question is: how do I get Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit to remember the
    working settings after I reboot so that I don;t always have to perform a
    rollback or an updating of drivers?
    Thanks for your help.
    PS. Asus is no help because they said the A8V motherboard was not built for
    Vista!
    ketzazu, Feb 20, 2008

  2. ketzazu

    Kue2 Guest

    I have a motherboard built by Asus (was not built for Vista!) Same
    controller card.(Marvel) Go here & d/l the latest drivers for the card &
    apply.
    http://www.marvell.com/drivers/search.do
    If you have an older linksys router,make sure you have the latest firmware
    applied.
    I have no problems connecting using the Marvel card & linksys router.I have
    a Asus K8VSE Deluxe MB. I dual boot XP32,XP 64, & Vista 64 no connection
    problems.
    Some older linksys routers only supporting (B) had problems,later version
    supporting (B) did not. (G) versions work right out of the box in Vista 64.

    Kue2, Feb 20, 2008

  3. I have that same mobo, and have had zero problems. But no linksys. Routers
    here are D-Link for the wireless, and a Xincom Dual WAN router for my main.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 20, 2008
  4. ketzazu

    ketzazu Guest

    Re: Vistax64 not connecting automatically to internet via yukon 88

    Kue2,
    i do have the latest drivers from Marvell and I even installed a second
    Belkin card with a Realtek RTL8139 chipset with the latest drivers also.
    There is no network connectivity at all for neither one unless, again, un I
    switch from old to new drivers and vice versa.
    What puzzles me is the fact that in Safe Mode both Nics work fine and
    connect to the network and internet right after bootup????
    Any genius that can explain it to me?

    Thanks!

    ketzazu, Feb 21, 2008
  5. ketzazu

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Vistax64 not connecting automatically to internet via yukon 88

    Since safe mode doesn't load the driver, you should try deleting BOTH
    drivers you have installed and let the default driver be the only one
    available.

    John Barnes, Feb 21, 2008
  6. Re: Vistax64 not connecting automatically to internet via yukon 88

    If I understand this correctly, you had some hardware that used to work, now
    you have some other hardware that sometimes work?

    I believe that a good place to start is to not just change drivers and
    disconnecting the hardware, or ignoring any missing pieces - but to
    completely uninstall every bit of trace of that old hardware. In fact,
    things being what they are now, I would completely uninstall everything that
    connects to the outside world, making sure I reboot for each item. Finally,
    I would make a cold-boot and reinstall the hardware and the drivers that you
    are using!

    If issues then remain, come back here, it will be much easier to figure out
    what is happening.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 22, 2008
  7. Re: Vistax64 not connecting automatically to internet via yukon 88

    I understand the frustration. The Yukon is an integrated NIC on that mobo.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 22, 2008
  8. Re: Vistax64 not connecting automatically to internet via yukon 88

    Which can be disabled in the BIOS, and the drivers removed. If that's what's
    necessary. And yes, I agree, it shouldn't be. But we've all been using the
    "delete it, unplug it, reboot, login, shutdown, plug back in, let Windows
    rediscover" dance since Windows 95. And it's still sometimes the best way to
    get flakey hardware to work.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64