    In Vista, there is a Documents folder, but not My Documents. Is the
    Documents folder the safe place to save stuff now in terms of what System
    Restore will save when a new restore point is set?

    DP, Mar 7, 2007

  2. DP

    Jane C Guest

    Yes. C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents is the Vista equivalent of the old XP My
    Documents.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Mar 7, 2007

  3. DP

    DP Guest

    Thanks, Jane.

    DP, Mar 7, 2007
  4. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Except that My Documents used to contain the folders for My Pictures, My
    Music, etc used to be included in My Documents and their replacements are
    now separate higher level folders.

    John Barnes, Mar 7, 2007
  5. > Smart users of XP knew that My Documents was the best place to save stuff.

    I will have to disagree with that assertion.

    I already had my own personal file management scheme long before MS tried to
    shove this My Documents concept down our throats. I've resisted it for
    years, and moaned and complained that I couldn't permanently delete that
    useless folder since it was introduced in Windows 95.

    Eventually I gave in, and created a 4.35GB partition and moved the My
    Documents folder to it. The size is ideal (whatever'll fit on that
    partition can be quickly backed up to a single DVD) and the relative small
    size forces me not to let useless crap accumulate. The files I would
    consider essential to back up before a reinstall right now total well under
    2GB.

    However nowadays there's so many poorly written programs that just dump all
    their data to it without ever asking (or providing the means to change that)
    that the My Documents folder has become essentially useless. I've now run
    out of disk space on that 4.35GB partition (even though my own data still
    totals under 2GB); after struggling with space for months, I just gave up on
    the whole My Documents folder idea again, rerouted it back to its default
    location on C:, and ignore it. I still have my 2GB worth of *my own* files
    (and nothing else) in its own partition. I've lost the "benefit" of having
    a one-button "My Documents" shortcut in every File Open/Save dialog box (the
    only benefit, really), but at least I'm not dealing with useless third-party
    crap I didn't create myself on my backup DVD.

    This whole effort by MS to take it upon themselves to try to make the user's
    life "simpler" by introducing preset My Documents/Music/Videos/etc folders
    (and taken entirely to the next level with Vista) is a complete waste of
    time, because it's abused by third-party programs (including MS's own). I
    say if these shortcuts are going to be considered useful at all, let the
    *user* define folders for them and *don't* define them as presets that any
    third-party application can query and dump data to. I mean, in "My
    Documents", which part of "My" isn't understood?

    Boy, did I go off on a tangent or what? :) Sorry, had to get this off my
    chest. I'm sure there are others who think like me.

    Homer J. Simpson, Mar 7, 2007
  6. This, of course, can be changed and they can be included under "Documents",
    or in my case D:\My Documents.

    I dual boot and have made this change for the purpose of being able to use
    one store when booted into either Windows XP or Vista. It works fine.

    --

    Regards,

    Richard Urban MVP
    Microsoft Windows Shell/User

    Richard Urban, Mar 7, 2007
  7. Maybe this is why MS changed the name of "*My* Documents" to simply
    "Documents."

    Daze N. Knights, Mar 7, 2007
  8. DP

    DanS Guest

    "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in

    >> Smart users of XP knew that My Documents was the best place to save
    >> stuff.

    > I will have to disagree with that assertion.
    >
    > I already had my own personal file management scheme long before MS
    > tried to shove this My Documents concept down our throats. I've

    <SNIP>

    > abused by
    > third-party programs (including MS's own). I say if these shortcuts
    > are going to be considered useful at all, let the *user* define
    > folders for them and *don't* define them as presets that any
    > third-party application can query and dump data to. I mean, in "My
    > Documents", which part of "My" isn't understood?
    >

    > Boy, did I go off on a tangent or what? :) Sorry, had to get this
    > off my chest. I'm sure there are others who think like me.

    There are many others that think the same. I being one.

    What was it, iTunes, that won't even install if you don't have a 'My
    Music' folder ?

    DanS, Mar 7, 2007
  9. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Sorry to disagree, but I was happy when a standard place to put files was
    introduced. Instead of having to search all over the drive, which was a
    chore in those days, some in the root, some in program files in separate
    folders, and some in the program's own program file in a sub folder. If you
    had many programs making documents, many of which didn't give the
    opportunity to change the location in those days, you need a roadmap to find
    your documents each time you worked with them or wanted to access them.

    John Barnes, Mar 7, 2007
  10. I agree, i like the fact that music, video, etc have their own folders and
    are not IN the documents folder.

    Jeff

    Jeffrey S. Sparks, Mar 7, 2007
  11. Yes, it's effectively the same. In fact, if you have a "My Documents" folder
    that you've moved and share with a dual booted XP, and you repoint Documents
    to it in Vista, you'll see it as "Documents" when in Vista and My Documents
    in XP x64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 7, 2007
  12. DP

    mikeyhsd Guest

    why do you insist on cross posting between xp and vista for vista questions.

    there are plenty of people to provide help and answers in the vista news groups. and not many in the xp groups that can help with vista.

    @sport.rr.com

    mikeyhsd, Mar 7, 2007
  13. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Just for your information, this is an appropriate group for Vista64
    questions. It is not an XP exclusive group and includes IA64 also.
    I personally would like to have Vista split between 86 and 64 since many
    times the solution to problems centers around which they are using. This is
    especially true since Microsoft has eased their policy on all Vista programs
    being required to work in both versions. Many drivers are also still being
    provided only for the 86 version with no signing of the 64 drivers.

    John Barnes, Mar 7, 2007
  14. This group is for all things 64-bit. Not for XP x64 only. This is an
    appropriate newsgroup for Vista x64 questions that are truly 64-bit
    specific. That's what we're here for.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 7, 2007
  15. As far as I'm concerned, it's really up to the user to save all of his own
    files, created with any number of programs, in some common location--you can
    add a distinctive folder for each program as you wish. This one, central
    "My Documents" folder accomplishes that quite nicely, and the OS provides
    convenient shortcuts to it from just about every location, making it easy to
    access wherever you are.

    The *problem*, however, with My Documents is that way too many programs have
    started using that folder to dump their own binary data you wouldn't care
    about if their lives depended on it. You don't see a problem with that?

    Raymond Chen has a blog entry about this here
    http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/12/28/1374334.aspx

    Homer J. Simpson, Mar 7, 2007
  16. DP

    mikeyhsd Guest

    the question did not mention "64".

    @sport.rr.com

    mikeyhsd, Mar 8, 2007
  18. DP

    DP Guest

    >> "mikeyhsd" <> wrote in message
    >> why do you insist on cross posting between xp and vista for vista
    >> questions.

    Thanks, Officer Mikey. "Insist"? I can swear to you this is the first time
    I've ever cross-posted to this and a Vista group. I know, because I had to
    teach myself how to crosspost in order to do it.
    If you can find some other example of when I did so, please provide the
    evidence. If not, then please apologize.

    >> there are plenty of people to provide help and answers in the vista news
    >> groups. and not many in the xp groups that can help with vista.

    I was a user of XP Professional X64 before I was a Vista user. I was reading
    the 64-bit group long before I went to any Vista groups.
    As a result, I appreciate the knowledge of the members of the 64-bit
    group -- a kind of brain trust, as it were. By comparison, I see a lot of
    newbies asking very basic questions in the Vista group.

    One more thing: It was a member of this group who clued me in to the
    importance of the My Documents folder.

    DP, Mar 8, 2007
  19. DP

    DP Guest

    >> Smart users of XP knew that My Documents was the best place to save
    >> stuff.

    > I will have to disagree with that assertion.

    Thanks for the thoughtful post. Let me say what I meant by the line from my
    original post that you repeated. What I meant to say is that if you save
    your stuff to My Documents, you know that you're saving it in a place where
    it will be preserved by System Restore.

    I agree with you that it's nice to put things where you want them. And I
    still do that to a large extent. I guess what I meant was that when I know
    something positively absolutely has to be there if I'm ever called upon to
    do a system restore, the My Documents is the magic folder where I should be
    saving things.

    Yes, it's counterintuitive to save EVERYTHING to My Documents. It seems to
    defeat the purpose of the folder system. Sort of like Using Quicken or MS
    Money and then categorizing all of your expenditures as "miscellaneous."

    One thing I've taken to doing (tho I don't do this exclusively) is to store
    a lot of stuff in My Documents (or that's what I did with XP X64) in their
    own folders and then to use desktop shortcuts to them. So in a way, I'm
    categorizing things in folders, but using the safety of My Documents for
    them.

    One mild criticism of your post, though: It seems kind of silly to criticize
    MS and other software manufacturers because you created a system in which My
    Documents has a maximum size and then exceed the maximum. MS didn't create
    it that way, so it's really a problem of your own making.

    Thanks again. You raise good points.

    DP, Mar 8, 2007
  20. frankly, given the character of the vista general newsgroups, I can't blame
    anyone for posting here. It didn't say it wasn't, and it wasn't clearly off
    topic for Vista 64 or otherwise.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64