VistaBootPro and x64 - multiboot BCD

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by - Bobb -, Jul 8, 2006.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    I had " previous version" , and "Windows" (X86) for boot options.
    After I installed x64 I had :
    1."Previous version" (legacy boot)
    2."Windows" (which was x64)
    3."Windows" (which was x86)
    I used VistaBootPro to identify in better. I called them

    1. XP and X64 (Boot.ini)
    2. Vista x64
    3. Vista x86

    THEN, I wanted to change the ORDER on the screen to be:

    XP
    Vista x86
    Vista x64

    I could NOT change the order because VistaBootPro would only do so if a
    letter assigned to boot. Xp and x86 were Ok - they had a drive letter ,
    but x64 had a PATH like boot.ini \dev.. \.... I checked in the
    leftmost tab and could see the path , but I didn't know - from ITS
    view - what letter is VistaBootPro talking about - the letter from xp
    disk mgmt view ? SO I had to leave it alone. So for others who
    multiboot, by default it is
    XP
    Vista x64 and
    Vista x86

    Bobb
    - Bobb -, Jul 8, 2006

  2. Don't try to change any drive letters that way. You can't change system
    drive letters anyway. You are trying to view the system as a whole but each
    OS has its own scheme independently of the others. They may line up the way
    you want depending how you install each edition of Vista but it will likely
    drive you nuts if you try to sort it out from your perspective. Just go by
    the volume names and let the respective operating systems handle lettering.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 8, 2006

  3. In addition, VistaBootPro has been superceded on my machines by easyBCD.
    More options, and it works with later builds.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 8, 2006
  4. I'll have to check that one out. For 5456 I had to copy bcdedit.exe out of
    the System32 folder and replace the file in VBP with it. Then it worked
    fine.

    > In addition, VistaBootPro has been superceded on my machines by easyBCD.
    > More options, and it works with later builds.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> Don't try to change any drive letters that way. You can't change system
    >> drive letters anyway. You are trying to view the system as a whole but
    >> each OS has its own scheme independently of the others. They may line up
    >> the way you want depending how you install each edition of Vista but it
    >> will likely drive you nuts if you try to sort it out from your
    >> perspective. Just go by the volume names and let the respective
    >> operating systems handle lettering.
    >> "- Bobb -" <> wrote in message
    >>> I had " previous version" , and "Windows" (X86) for boot options. After
    >>> I installed x64 I had :
    >>> 1."Previous version" (legacy boot)
    >>> 2."Windows" (which was x64)
    >>> 3."Windows" (which was x86)
    >>> I used VistaBootPro to identify in better. I called them
    >>>
    >>> 1. XP and X64 (Boot.ini)
    >>> 2. Vista x64

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 8, 2006
  5. - Bobb -

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks for the heads-up Charlie.

    > In addition, VistaBootPro has been superceded on my machines by easyBCD.
    > More options, and it works with later builds.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> Don't try to change any drive letters that way. You can't change system
    >> drive letters anyway. You are trying to view the system as a whole but
    >> each OS has its own scheme independently of the others. They may line up
    >> the way you want depending how you install each edition of Vista but it
    >> will likely drive you nuts if you try to sort it out from your
    >> perspective. Just go by the volume names and let the respective
    >> operating systems handle lettering.
    >> "- Bobb -" <> wrote in message
    >>> I had " previous version" , and "Windows" (X86) for boot options. After
    >>> I installed x64 I had :
    >>> 1."Previous version" (legacy boot)
    >>> 2."Windows" (which was x64)
    >>> 3."Windows" (which was x86)
    >>> I used VistaBootPro to identify in better. I called them
    >>>
    >>> 1. XP and X64 (Boot.ini)
    >>> 2. Vista x64

    John Barnes, Jul 8, 2006
  6. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Guys,
    I wasn't trying to change anything but the order. Let me rephrase it:
    Why did Xp and Vista x86 have drive letters assigned and Vista x64 did not -
    it had just the path ?

    Wait a second - it may have been my oversight - I formatted it from Vista
    x86 - MAYBE I didn't assign that partition a letter in XP's drive view !!
    And I was runnning VBP from XP !

    I'm in x86 now ( sending lots of feedback reports) but when I'm done I'll
    reboot and view disk mgr in XP and update here - for others info.

    Bobb

    > In addition, VistaBootPro has been superceded on my machines by easyBCD.
    > More options, and it works with later builds.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> Don't try to change any drive letters that way. You can't change system
    >> drive letters anyway. You are trying to view the system as a whole but
    >> each OS has its own scheme independently of the others. They may line up
    >> the way you want depending how you install each edition of Vista but it
    >> will likely drive you nuts if you try to sort it out from your
    >> perspective. Just go by the volume names and let the respective
    >> operating systems handle lettering.
    >> "- Bobb -" <> wrote in message
    >>> I had " previous version" , and "Windows" (X86) for boot options. After
    >>> I installed x64 I had :
    >>> 1."Previous version" (legacy boot)
    >>> 2."Windows" (which was x64)
    >>> 3."Windows" (which was x86)
    >>> I used VistaBootPro to identify in better. I called them
    >>>
    >>> 1. XP and X64 (Boot.ini)
    >>> 2. Vista x64

    - Bobb -, Jul 8, 2006
  7. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Thanks Charlie, I'll check it out.

    > In addition, VistaBootPro has been superceded on my machines by easyBCD.
    > More options, and it works with later builds.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> Don't try to change any drive letters that way. You can't change system
    >> drive letters anyway. You are trying to view the system as a whole but
    >> each OS has its own scheme independently of the others. They may line up
    >> the way you want depending how you install each edition of Vista but it
    >> will likely drive you nuts if you try to sort it out from your
    >> perspective. Just go by the volume names and let the respective
    >> operating systems handle lettering.
    >> "- Bobb -" <> wrote in message
    >>> I had " previous version" , and "Windows" (X86) for boot options. After
    >>> I installed x64 I had :
    >>> 1."Previous version" (legacy boot)
    >>> 2."Windows" (which was x64)
    >>> 3."Windows" (which was x86)
    >>> I used VistaBootPro to identify in better. I called them
    >>>
    >>> 1. XP and X64 (Boot.ini)
    >>> 2. Vista x64

    - Bobb -, Jul 8, 2006
  8. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    That's what it was - Doh !
    View from XP shows no drive letter assigned - so I gave it one !

    - Bobb -, Jul 8, 2006
  9. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Uninstalled VBP , installed EasyBCD and ( now that I have a drive letter
    assigned to x64 drive) it looks good.

    Thanks guys.

    - Bobb -, Jul 8, 2006
  10. Looks like a falling out between the person who wrote VBP originally, and
    the folks he was working with. So he went off on his own and wrote a new
    version. It's better, IMHO.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 8, 2006
  11. Yes. The drivers option looks very interesting.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 8, 2006
  12. Use with caution - I've seen reports of drivers loaded that way that then
    blue screened. OTOH, I know Barb is using it to get her Wireless card
    working, since the driver isn't signed.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64