VistaBootPro 3.3 released

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 31, 2007.

  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 31, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Doesn't seem to have fixed any of my problems, including it saying that I
    don't appear to have Vista installed, even though it is launched from Vista
    and Vista is the only os on this machine.

    John Barnes, Jun 1, 2007

  3. John:
    I have just uninstalled VistaBootPro 3.3 for good!
    I will stick with EasyBCD from now on.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 1, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    It's not inspiring much confidence, considering that it doodles with the
    innards of Vista. I thought it was a great piece of software during the
    Vista beta days. I have Vista x64 Ultimate in double boot with Win XP
    x64 and no amount of tinkering (or following the advice on the VBP
    message board) makes the boot process find the XP partition. I guess
    I'll have to wait until version 3.4.

    jabloomf1230, Jun 1, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you haven't added a legacy drive entry, do so and point to your XP drive
    as shown in Vista. If you get a boot error after trying to boot to the
    legacy entry, copy the ntldr ntdetect.com and boot.ini files onto the Vista
    drive and correct the boot.ini entries as necessary to point to your XP
    partition. It does work for this. I just used it this week to make some
    adjustments on my wife's computer when removing some drives.

    John Barnes, Jun 2, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    John,

    Thanks, but I tried all that originally when I upgraded to VBP 3.2.
    Those are similar to the instructions on the VBP website. There must be
    something wrong with the boot.ini entry in terms of the drive
    descriptors. I've tried using different combinations of the drive
    numbers in boot.ini, but it still doesn't boot into Win XP. It says
    "Incorrect boot.ini entry", which is weird because everything was the
    same in boot.ini as when I was running the various Vista betas and RCs.
    I thought I would never have to remember how to use boot.ini again. ;-)

    jabloomf1230, Jun 2, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You don't say when you get the error, but you could try two options. Rename
    the boot.ini, so in effect you don't have one. If you are pointing to the
    correct drive in your BCD the ntldr will boot the current drive. You could
    use the Recovery console to rebuild the boot.ini with the correct
    enumeration in it. bootcfg /rebuild

    John Barnes, Jun 3, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    It occurs after the Vista boot loader screen. When I select Win XP x64,
    I can get a variety of errors, depending on the numbers that I plug into
    the two lines in boot.ini that define the Win XP boot partition:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER

    I'm afraid to change boot.ini too much, since I CAN boot the OS from the
    BIOS boot loader that comes with ASUS motherboards. You can do this by
    hitting F8 during the POST, which gives you a choice of booting from any
    hard drive that has a bootable partition. This process bypasses the
    Vista boot loader altogether. Since the Win XP x64 system will boot this
    way, boot.ini must be correct. Something else is conflicting with the
    Vista boot loader. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the
    hard drive order, since I have 3 HDs and two of them have bootable OS
    partitions.

    Thanks for the help, but I've given up on this, since I hardly use Win
    XP x64 anymore anyway and I still can get it to boot via the F8 route.

    jabloomf1230, Jun 3, 2007