Vista64 Locks Up New Dell (!!)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gSw==?=, Nov 19, 2006.

  1. I have a Dell XPS 410 which I purchased one week before the Vista coupon
    program was announced -- argh :(

    In any case, when beta testing the 64-bit versions of RC1 and RC2 I suffered
    from random freezes, where the computer would freeze for about 30-45 seconds,
    and suddenly everything would be fine. This might happen 3-6 times per hour
    and would be especially annoying is music was playing because it would
    studder the same sample.

    I reported this bug and then switched to the 32-bit Vista betas.

    After updating my Dell BIOS and then installing Vista 64 RTM I was
    disheartened to be experiencing the same problems. I don't have this
    problem in 32-bit versions so I have to assume that some 64-bit
    driver/component is at fault.

    My computer hardware is a possibility but so far I haven't been able to
    recreate these symptoms in XP (32 and 64) or Vista 32. Only in Vista64 have
    I seen this issue.

    Too add insult to injury I see that the invited Vista testers got a free
    copy of Ultimate, and I get nothing which I wouldn't mind so much if this bug
    that I had reported were fixed :)

    Video card is an ATI X1300. I experienced the lockups with the default
    Vista drivers, and then tried the beta Catalyst drivers for RTM and
    experienced the same thing.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gSw==?=, Nov 19, 2006

  2. I should add that in the RTM version, the duration of the freeze is shorter
    (about 20 seconds guessing).

    I guess I should consider this progress? :)

    =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gSw==?=, Nov 19, 2006

  3. Have you posted the issue in microsoft.public.vista.hardware_devices to see
    if someone with your same mobo is experiencing similar issues?

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 19, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gSw==?=

    Guest

    I can report the exact same issue with my Dell XPS 410. I have the
    NVIDIA 7950 card. I downloaded the latest from NVIDIA with no change
    in the freeze up.

    Kevin K wrote:
    > I have a Dell XPS 410 which I purchased one week before the Vista coupon
    > program was announced -- argh :(
    >
    > In any case, when beta testing the 64-bit versions of RC1 and RC2 I suffered
    > from random freezes, where the computer would freeze for about 30-45 seconds,
    > and suddenly everything would be fine. This might happen 3-6 times per hour
    > and would be especially annoying is music was playing because it would
    > studder the same sample.
    >
    > I reported this bug and then switched to the 32-bit Vista betas.
    >
    > After updating my Dell BIOS and then installing Vista 64 RTM I was
    > disheartened to be experiencing the same problems. I don't have this
    > problem in 32-bit versions so I have to assume that some 64-bit
    > driver/component is at fault.
    >
    > My computer hardware is a possibility but so far I haven't been able to
    > recreate these symptoms in XP (32 and 64) or Vista 32. Only in Vista64 have
    > I seen this issue.
    >
    > Too add insult to injury I see that the invited Vista testers got a free
    > copy of Ultimate, and I get nothing which I wouldn't mind so much if this bug
    > that I had reported were fixed :)
    >
    > Video card is an ATI X1300. I experienced the lockups with the default
    > Vista drivers, and then tried the beta Catalyst drivers for RTM and
    > experienced the same thing.

    , Dec 8, 2006
  5. I am having the exact same problem with my new XPS 410 mine is vista 32bit
    with the 256 ATI Radeon video card.

    =?Utf-8?B?amVycnliZQ==?=, Feb 21, 2007