    Anyone else experienced this? It could be a destructive exercise when
    I would Shft-Del without checking :-(

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Feb 14, 2009

  2. I would advise caution in general, I always look careful before
    clicking/pressing delete.

    I Luv Carrots, Feb 14, 2009

  3. Jud Hendrix

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 13:45:00 -0800, "I Luv Carrots" <>
    wrote:

    >I would advise caution in general, I always look careful before
    >clicking/pressing delete.

    I do too, but this is just risky.

    Jud Hendrix, Feb 17, 2009
  4. Jud Hendrix

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Re: Vista64 filehandling oddity - new discovery :-(

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 17:12:59 +0000, Jud Hendrix <> wrote:

    >Folks, discovered an oddity with Vista64 + SP1, which I want to warn
    >you about. I sometimes get a bunch of files e-mailed to me in 10MB
    >sections.
    >I put them in a directory and un-RAR them by Right-clicking the first
    >file and do an Extract Here.
    >Next step is I drag-scroll down to the end and then do a
    >Shift-Ctrl-End to select all the files up to the end.
    >Now oddly enough the file which is unpacked, the first one in the
    >list, is also automagically selected. So if I would simply delete the
    >files, the one I needed, would be deleted.
    >Anyone else experienced this? It could be a destructive exercise when
    >I would Shft-Del without checking :-(

    Got one of these e-mails again today, and I noticed that it's not only
    when I select the files per key, also when I scroll down and click the
    last file, the one before the first selected file, is also selected.
    It looks like it has to do with the file being unpacked, appearing
    before the packed files. Let me explain:

    These are my files

    aaa.r00
    aaa.r01
    aaa.r02
    aaa.r03
    aaa.rar

    I now right-click aaa.r00 and via context-menu extract to the current
    folder. So far, so good.
    The new file is created before the compressed files, so the folder
    looks like

    aaa.psd
    aaa.r00
    aaa.r01
    aaa.r02
    aaa.r03
    aaa.rar

    If I now hold the Shift-key, and click the last file in the list,
    being aaa.rar, the aaa.psd file is also selected!!!!!! It's as if
    Vista doesn't look at the filename, but at the position in the folder
    window to make the selection. So if I would delete the files now, the
    one which I needed, is also gone. This works with selecting by mouse
    or keys. Try it for yourself.

    I am testing Vista64 Ultimate with SP1, but this flaw made us decide
    to post-pone any further conversion of our systems. We are currently
    also running a test of Windows 7, so what I'll do now is to see if
    this also occurs on Windows 7. "I'll be back" ;-)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Feb 28, 2009