Vista.....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Apr 2, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 11:09:24 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > Not the huge success it seems
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-microsoft-should-thank-pc-market-growth.html

    That's because it's hideously expensive for what you get - and what you
    get has problems, and in fact doesn't offer more to users than what you
    get with XP.

    Frankly, the "upgrade" path is not from MS WindowsXP to MS WindowsVista -
    unless you want to implement DRM (and who wants that!!).

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    When you want a computer system that works, just choose Linux.
    When you want a computer system that works, just, choose Microsoft.
    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 2, 2007

  3. thingy

    Max Burke Guest

    > In news: thingy Scribbled:
    > Not the huge success it seems
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-microsoft-should-thank-pc-market-growth.html

    Naaaa....
    It's just some tech reporter trying to do his job by making a story where
    none exists. But hey that's what he gets paid to do isn't it.
    One thing: I wonder why he thinks Vista sales should be significantly higher
    if PC sales are higher.

    "The real test for Windows Vista's success will be to see how computer sales
    in this quarter fared compared to last quarter-if they are up significantly,
    it's quite probable that demand for the new operating system was
    responsible."

    I could post stories that tell the opposite; That Vista sales a inline with
    expectations, or that they exceed expectations...
    But I wont

    Except for their 'positive' spin, they're no different to the above.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Apr 2, 2007
  4. thingy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 11:09:24 +1200, thingy <>
    exclaimed:

    >Not the huge success it seems
    >
    >http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-microsoft-should-thank-pc-market-growth.html

    20 million copies in a month? I'd call that a success.

    It's funny, really. Vista has only been out a month, and already it is
    used by more people than use every single version of Linux and *BSD
    combined. Yup, one month folks.

    If that's not success, I'm not sure what is.

    --

    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's
    fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F,
    it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Best Rant of the Year Award:

    "Interesting to see the Green bastard even at a supermarket shopping, instead
    of living off the land growing his own food. At least he's helped to keep the
    cogs and polution of industry going by shopping at supermarkets which sell
    products from large filthy factories [that] use stinking diesel trucks
    polluting the damn countryside just to get the goods to Nandor's favourite
    supermarket. Well done Nandor you two faced tax paid good for nothing bastard"

    - E. Scrooge (1/3/2007), a little unhappy about the Green's proposal to ban
    supermarket bags...
    Fred Dagg, Apr 2, 2007
  5. thingy

    Robert Cooze Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Not the huge success it seems
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-microsoft-should-thank-pc-market-growth.html

    I remember when XP came out PC's were common in the work place but there
    was a lot of win 98 95 out there on old out dated pieces of shit. The
    Difference now is the PC is a seen more as a Home appliance by the
    consumer and the growth of the Internet, And as a Home appliance It must
    be upgraded. I still see old 98 machines in the office place and some
    real dunngy XP boxes.
    In that time My computer was put together It was very fast in its day.It
    did run 98 and win2k later on 98 and XP. XP was a nice improvement on
    user interface and I still had the speed I don't know If Vista will run
    on this machine (well the aero interface) I dont think there is a enough
    incentive for me to upgrade at any stage soon.

    Robert Cooze, Apr 2, 2007
  6. thingy

    Shane Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > Not the huge success it seems

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-microsoft-should-thank-pc-market-growth.html

    I get the feeling that Vista is the ME of the NT stream of OS. The only
    difference is, nobody has a choice but to take it with their new computer
    (save for the Apples)
    I see people making claims about it selling better than Free OS(I wonder how
    the hell thats measured???, nevermind, going by previous attempts at logic,
    its probably the word on the street) but considering Vista is installed on
    most (if not all) shop PC's, then of course the numbers are going to be
    skewed.
    In some ways I am concerned, if Vista does turn out to be a case of the
    emperors new clothes, then thats going to leave a bloody big mess.
    Especially as XP reaches the end of its support cycle (which could be
    shorter than people believe)

    As an addendum to my previous post on Vista, I am still surprised at the
    lack of interest the student body in my comp.sci classes are showing toward
    Vista. Normally I would have expected these young, computer literate,
    geeks, to jump on every shiny new thing computer related, but they just
    arent. The windows boys are sticking with XP, and well, the rest are *nix
    lads so wouldnt be expected to jump for Vista anyways, some students
    however are showing complete indifference.
    It will be interesting how this all pans out.
    Shane, Apr 2, 2007
  7. thingy

    Sonn Guest

    Sonn, Apr 4, 2007
  8. thingy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Sonn <> wrote in news:46133798$:

    > I'm not at all surprised. My sister bought it, installed it,
    > uninstalled it, and flogged it off on TradeMe for half the price. She
    > would have had to upgrade considerable hardware if she'd kept it due to
    > incompatibilities.

    So she didn't run the vista compat diag thingee first to see what would
    break?
    I did , and would have to wait for some drivers for my scanner. I was
    suprised that was all.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 4, 2007
  9. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 11:09:24 +1200, thingy <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> Not the huge success it seems
    >>
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-microsoft-should-thank-pc-market-growth.html

    > 20 million copies in a month? I'd call that a success.
    >
    > It's funny, really. Vista has only been out a month, and already it is
    > used by more people than use every single version of Linux and *BSD
    > combined. Yup, one month folks.
    >
    > If that's not success, I'm not sure what is.

    Business as usual is no big deal...I mean MS could have made those sales
    anyway without spending $ on a "new" OS. So its thrown billions at Vista
    and just wat is the increase in revenue?

    If Vista had not been released, then if 20mil of computers with Xp had
    been sold anyway, Vista is/was a non-event.
    ie people were buying a new PC and it just happened to come with Vista
    as opposed to XP....that to me is not a huge sales success, seeing a
    huge bump in sales (say 20%) and seeing lots of ram being sold
    aftermarket indicates a must have item....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Apr 5, 2007
  10. thingy

    steve Guest

    "Sonn" <> wrote in message news:46133798$...
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Not the huge success it seems
    >>
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-microsoft-should-thank-pc-market-growth.html

    > I'm not at all surprised. My sister bought it, installed it, uninstalled
    > it, and flogged it off on TradeMe for half the price. She would have had
    > to upgrade considerable hardware if she'd kept it due to
    > incompatibilities.
    >
    > S.

    It runs in a very mediocre way on a laptop with 1.7G processor and 512MB of
    RAM.

    Same spec machine with WinXP or Linux runs VERY well and delivers all the
    same REQUIRED functionality.

    What Vista is doing (for no additional benefit to me) is not apparent.
    steve, Apr 10, 2007
  11. thingy

    steve Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message

    > Business as usual is no big deal...I mean MS could have made those sales
    > anyway without spending $ on a "new" OS. So its thrown billions at Vista
    > and just wat is the increase in revenue?
    >
    > If Vista had not been released, then if 20mil of computers with Xp had
    > been sold anyway, Vista is/was a non-event.
    > ie people were buying a new PC and it just happened to come with Vista as
    > opposed to XP....that to me is not a huge sales success, seeing a huge
    > bump in sales (say 20%) and seeing lots of ram being sold aftermarket
    > indicates a must have item....

    I recently bought a laptop.

    Vendors who would supply XP wanted at least $100 more than the same system
    with Vista.

    Other vendors (Acer) didn't offer anything but Vista.....
    steve, Apr 10, 2007