    them. The upshot here, would the XP driver work as an interim until he gets
    a proper card for his machine? I have no experience with Vista so I thought
    I'd ask here...

    chuckie®, Dec 21, 2008

  2. chuckie®

    chuckcar Guest

    "chuckie®" <> wrote in
    news:qQw3l.6554$:

    > I know this is probably a dumb question. Will some XP drivers work in
    > Vista? My son has a computer with Vista installed (32bit version), and
    > his on board video took a dump. I have a couple of 'spare' video cards
    > laying about, however, none of them support Vista as they are fairly old
    > versions of AGP cards. Specifically, ATI Radeon 7000 and NVidia TNT2
    > series cards. While I have the XP and Win2000 drivers, there are no
    > Vista drivers for them. The upshot here, would the XP driver work as an
    > interim until he gets a proper card for his machine? I have no
    > experience with Vista so I thought I'd ask here...

    You *know* there's no Vista drivers included with windows itself or you
    didn't get Vista drivers with the video cards? Generally windows includes
    drivers for any hardware older that the release of windows. If the card
    was manufactured before Vista was released, there's a good chance Vista
    comes with drivers for it. As far as it working with Vista or not, there
    was an option in Xp to use 98 drivers if required. I see no reason why
    Vista would do that as well for XP. Compatibility would be *more* likely
    between Vista and XP than XP and 98.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 21, 2008

  3. chuckie®

    Peeassha Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "chuckie®" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I know this is probably a dumb question. Will some XP drivers work in
    >> Vista? My son has a computer with Vista installed (32bit version), and
    >> his on board video took a dump. I have a couple of 'spare' video cards
    >> laying about, however, none of them support Vista as they are fairly old
    >> versions of AGP cards. Specifically, ATI Radeon 7000 and NVidia TNT2
    >> series cards. While I have the XP and Win2000 drivers, there are no
    >> Vista drivers for them. The upshot here, would the XP driver work as an
    >> interim until he gets a proper card for his machine? I have no
    >> experience with Vista so I thought I'd ask here...
    >>

    > You *know* there's no Vista drivers included with windows itself or you
    > didn't get Vista drivers with the video cards? Generally windows includes
    > drivers for any hardware older that the release of windows. If the card
    > was manufactured before Vista was released, there's a good chance Vista
    > comes with drivers for it. As far as it working with Vista or not, there
    > was an option in Xp to use 98 drivers if required. I see no reason why
    > Vista would do that as well for XP. Compatibility would be *more* likely
    > between Vista and XP than XP and 98.
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    I don't think so, remember vista is a pig! Did ya just get done shoveling
    the snow?

    Peeassha, Dec 21, 2008
  4. chuckie®

    chuckie® Guest

    "chuckie®" <> wrote in message
    > I know this is probably a dumb question. Will some XP drivers work in
    > Vista? My son has a computer with Vista installed (32bit version), and

    his
    > on board video took a dump. I have a couple of 'spare' video cards

    laying
    > about, however, none of them support Vista as they are fairly old versions
    > of AGP cards. Specifically, ATI Radeon 7000 and NVidia TNT2 series cards.
    > While I have the XP and Win2000 drivers, there are no Vista drivers for
    > them. The upshot here, would the XP driver work as an interim until he

    gets
    > a proper card for his machine? I have no experience with Vista so I

    thought
    > I'd ask here...

    Found a really good solution! The son decided to buy a new video card. I
    was under the impression that he didn't have the money to do it, hence my
    questions, however, as it turns out, he had a spare $100 and we went to Best
    buy and got a fairly decent one. Thanks to all for help and/or replies, now
    I think its time to clean out the old video cards and such from the
    closet...

    chuckie®, Dec 22, 2008
  5. chuckie®

    chuckie® Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:50:35 -0500, "chuckie®" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"chuckie®" <> wrote in message
    > >> I know this is probably a dumb question. Will some XP drivers work in
    > >> Vista? My son has a computer with Vista installed (32bit version), and

    > >his
    > >> on board video took a dump. I have a couple of 'spare' video cards

    > >laying
    > >> about, however, none of them support Vista as they are fairly old

    versions
    > >> of AGP cards. Specifically, ATI Radeon 7000 and NVidia TNT2 series

    cards.
    > >> While I have the XP and Win2000 drivers, there are no Vista drivers for
    > >> them. The upshot here, would the XP driver work as an interim until he

    > >gets
    > >> a proper card for his machine? I have no experience with Vista so I

    > >thought
    > >> I'd ask here...

    > >Found a really good solution! The son decided to buy a new video card.

    > >was under the impression that he didn't have the money to do it, hence my
    > >questions, however, as it turns out, he had a spare $100 and we went to

    Best
    > >buy and got a fairly decent one. Thanks to all for help and/or replies,

    now
    > >I think its time to clean out the old video cards and such from the
    > >closet...
    > >

    > Give them to the local school system. No doubt they could use them.

    Generally, I give them to a local computer store, he, in turn, builds
    computers from these parts and does exactly that, gives them to needy
    schools...

    chuckie®, Dec 23, 2008