VISTA X64 WORKS FINE!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by BENAGLIA, Nov 24, 2007.

  1. BENAGLIA

    BENAGLIA Guest

    Thought it would be a good idea to post my experience with my Vista X64
    system and working experience with it.
    Set the system up myself and after some good home work opted for the
    following components:
    M/Board: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
    CPU: Intel Dual Core 6600 @ 2.40HGz
    RAM: 4 Gb
    Vista: Business X64
    HD: Raid 0
    Most of my work is graphics and so I needed something stable and at the same
    time reliable/stable when handling heavy files with quite a range of
    software and so on. My initial problems were what I call "normal
    administration", new drivers, new software but managed to sort it all out
    without big problems, most of the time with the the help of this forum!, and
    now have the system I wanted working way beyond my initial expectations.
    X64 has proved to be stable and works just fine. No great hassle and
    whatever comes up doesn't worry me at all, went through the same experience
    with Xp!, and with a little care the system runs smoothly.

    On reading some of the posts I have the impression a lot of people still
    expect operating systems to function perfectly no matter what and a good
    percentage of Vista users find it difficult to move from Xp simply because
    they expect it to be the same. I have been submerged by people asking for
    help because their new Laptop isn't functioning and end results are 90% due
    to the users and most of the rest due to hardware, a very small percentage
    are due to Vista itself. It took Xp a few years, and a few Service Packs, to
    get through it's initial hitches and Vita will probably be the same. I
    started working with Vista not expecting it to be Xp so handling it as a new
    operating system and found myself getting through all the hitches easily and
    got to understand how it all works a lot better.

    I also work with a Power Mac G5 Quad - 8 Gb ram and the two systems function
    with the same results, which is what I wanted from the beginning.

    Thanks again for your advice.

    AndyB
    BENAGLIA, Nov 24, 2007

  2. BENAGLIA

    John Barnes Guest

    Nice to see a success story. It is a good system and keeps getting better.
    It always helps if those going 64-bit start with the idea that they are
    starting over, and not to try to convert a 32-bit system.

    John Barnes, Nov 25, 2007

  3. BENAGLIA

    Techy Guest

    I also run 64 bit Vista and it works perfectly. Absolutely no problems here.
    Blazing fast, etc. I only wish I could set the 64 bit IE and WMP11 as
    default, but aside from that no complaints!!!

    I hope Microsoft pushes hard for 64 bit to come alive!

    Techy, Nov 25, 2007
  4. BENAGLIA

    BENAGLIA Guest

    As John says one of the problems with x64 Vista is people trying to convert
    to it from a 32-bit system. I've given up on quite a few Pc's and laptops as
    it was to much of a hassle to convert with would be cheaper to start over
    from scratch.
    I believe X64 is the future and hope Microsoft concentrates more on the
    system. Works as it is but can become tomorrows standard. Software is slowly
    going that way and hardware manufacturers too so x64 is here to stay and get
    better.

    Greetings from Milan Italy, it's getting COLD!

    ANDYB

    BENAGLIA, Nov 25, 2007
  5. BENAGLIA

    KevinD Guest

    I have Vista Ultimate 64 Bit on my HP Notebook. Surprisingly it came
    preinstalled with this O/S and I couldn't be happier with it. I had very
    few problems from the get go, specifically one driver that did not come in a
    64 Bit flavor, but the Company already had it in Beta and it was out about a
    month after I got my Notebook. I've now had it for 8 months and it runs
    beautifully - trouble free. All of my software and peripherals run
    perfectly.

    I have read so many complaints about Vista it drives me crazy. Drawing on
    my experience with two PC's now running it I just don't know how people can
    be having so much trouble with it.

    KevinD, Nov 25, 2007
  6. BENAGLIA

    BENAGLIA Guest

    I have the impression people are just expecting have to have an operating
    system
    that works without "understanding" how it works. It just has to work and
    that's it!
    Xp was a great system and lived it's life but Vista is way superior and it
    will
    take people a long time to understand exactly what the difference is between
    the two systems.
    Just today I had a client ask me to load Xp on her laptop as it wasn't
    working,
    I switched the laptop on and everything was just fine. The truth is that on
    seeing things
    different to what she had been used to made her draw back and reject Vista.
    This is very common and it will take time to get people over pre-conceptions
    and so on.
    I'm working on having all my 8 business Pc's converted to Vista and already
    know I'll
    have to problems with any of the peripherals (printers, scanners and
    plotters).
    AndyB

    BENAGLIA, Nov 26, 2007
  7. BENAGLIA

    KevinD Guest

    I work with Software and all I can say is "I HATE THAT MENTALITY"! It is so
    frustrating to be able to offer something that could really make peoples
    lives much easier and they just don't see it, or get it.

    KevinD, Nov 27, 2007
  8. BENAGLIA

    BENAGLIA Guest

    I'm with you on that!, here in Italy Pc's have always been seen as game
    instruments and only in the last 5-7 years have things changed a little. In
    Milan we have 4/5 decent computer stores and what you find on the shelf is
    still entirely focused on this segment of clientele. As soon as you want
    something decent you either assemble it yourself, as I have been doing for
    the past 10 years, or order it online from specialized stores.
    With this kind of market the consequences are that people have trouble
    seeing the positive and productive part of a pc and with the operating
    system/software that come with them.
    A couple of evenings a week I teach youngsters to use Pc's and I avoid
    teaching how to play games with them. They are "productive" tools and it
    takes time to get them to understand that games are not all there is to it.
    As I do it through the local council the main aim is to make people
    understand that it's possible to increase your production simply by using
    the machine as a very powerful working tool. I have a couple of boys
    initially totally concentrated on games and have now become experts and have
    become part of the councils network management team. They simply saw the
    productive part of machine+operating system+software and games have now
    become the past.
    People find it hard to understand the potential of Vista and other software
    and this leads to what we are all going through with Vista non being fully
    accepted.

    Than you all for you comments.

    BENAGLIA, Nov 27, 2007
  9. BENAGLIA

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Andy.

    > I have a couple of boys initially totally concentrated on games and have
    > now become experts and have become part of the councils network management
    > team.

    Reminds me of the story of a couple of boys named Bill and Paul, in school
    near Seattle over 30 years ago. ;<)

    Surely you've heard how the local power company had bought new software for
    their mainframe computers, but didn't have to pay for it until it was
    bug-free. The company invited some boys from the local prep school to come
    in at night and play with the computers - so long as they kept finding bugs,
    thus postponing the payment. One boy in particular was really good at this.
    His name was Bill Gates. He and his friend, Paul Allen, started their own
    software company, called Traf-O-Data. A few years later, they started
    Micro-Soft. And the rest, as they say, is history.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 28, 2007
  10. BENAGLIA

    Mike Douglas Guest

    I too have purchased retail 64 bit Vista Utimate and did a clean install of
    64 bit. It installed all drivers for me without a problem. I only have 2 gig
    of memory so I changed the view to Windows Classic and runs faster. I'm happy
    with it. Don't get better than 64 bit. Here is what I got to run sucessfully
    on 64 bit.

    Anti Vira anti virus and Avast anit virus
    Spybot 1.5
    Winzip
    Winrar
    Office 2000,XP,2003,2007
    Nero 7.10
    TubemAll
    Java
    Flashplayer
    Adobe Reader
    GOM Player
    Yahoo Messenger 9.0 (install TP codec for voice chat to work)
    Windows Live Messenger
    I Tunes/Quicktime latest versions
    Camtasiane Studio 3

    What is there to complain about? Nothing on this end.

    Mike Douglas, Nov 28, 2007