    any results. Do I not need the patch or was a patch not created for my
    situation? Not really a problem as I am currently experimenting with a
    handful of other browsers. Just curious.
    troutman, Dec 18, 2008

  2. troutman

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    That update doesn't seem to apply to IE8.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-078.mspx
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 19, 2008

  3. troutman

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Troutman:
    This article may help
    "http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-Pre-Beta-and-Vista-SP2-Beta-Critical-Patches-for-IE8-Beta-and-IE7-100346.shtml"

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64 SP1
    Dennis Pack, Dec 19, 2008
  4. troutman

    troutman Guest

    Thanks for that link. In the FAQ there, I am led to believe it does apply to
    IE8 -

    Is the Windows Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 release affected by this
    vulnerability?
    Yes. This vulnerability was reported after the release of Windows Internet
    Explorer 8 Beta 2. Customers running Windows Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 are
    encouraged to download and apply the update to their systems.

    I will need to determine if the update can be done manually

    troutman, Dec 19, 2008
  5. troutman

    troutman Guest

    Thanks for this link as well. The way I read it, there is only a patch
    available for IE8 under Windows 7. I looked at all available KB960714
    updates (there are 33 possibilities) and none seem to match my particular
    combination.

    troutman, Dec 19, 2008
  6. troutman

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Is this what you are looking for
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a7-5f4a-4b07-8702-4a445e83011f&displaylang=en
    "Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 in Windows Vista x64 Edition
    (KB960714)"
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 19, 2008
  7. troutman

    troutman Guest

    System requirements on that one specify Service Pack 1. I attempted to
    download it and install as an experiment and received "the update does not
    apply to your system" message. Still no joy.

    troutman, Dec 19, 2008
  8. troutman

    PhilSweet Guest

    The only way I got KB960714 to install was to first uninstall Vista X64 SP2
    Beta. I don't know if reinstalling Vista SP2 Beta will undue the update.

    Phil

    PhilSweet, Dec 19, 2008
  9. troutman

    troutman Guest

    Since I don't use IE as my primary browser and I wouldn't describe any of my
    browsing as "mission critical", I believe I will run unpatched for a while.
    I would prefer not to remove SP2 Beta. Thanks for your input.

    "PhilSweet" <> wrote in message
    > The only way I got KB960714 to install was to first uninstall Vista X64
    > SP2 Beta. I don't know if reinstalling Vista SP2 Beta will undue the
    > update.
    >
    > Phil
    >
    > "troutman" <> wrote in message
    >> System requirements on that one specify Service Pack 1. I attempted to
    >> download it and install as an experiment and received "the update does
    >> not apply to your system" message. Still no joy.
    >>
    >> "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Is this what you are looking for?
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a7-5f4a-4b07-8702-4a445e83011f&displaylang=en
    >>> "Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 in Windows Vista x64
    >>> Edition
    >>> (KB960714)"

    troutman, Dec 20, 2008
  10. troutman

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <>,
    says...>
    > Thanks for that link. In the FAQ there, I am led to believe it does apply to
    > IE8 -
    >
    > Is the Windows Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 release affected by this
    > vulnerability?
    > Yes. This vulnerability was reported after the release of Windows Internet
    > Explorer 8 Beta 2. Customers running Windows Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 are
    > encouraged to download and apply the update to their systems.
    >
    > I will need to determine if the update can be done manually
    >
    > "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > That update doesn't seem to apply to IE8.
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-078.mspx
    > > Carlos
    > >
    > > "troutman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am running Vista Ultimate x64 with SP2 Beta applied as well as Internet
    > >> Explorer 8 Beta 2 x64. No KB960714 browser patch has been offered and my
    > >> internet research regarding this particular combination has not turned up
    > >> any results. Do I not need the patch or was a patch not created for my
    > >> situation? Not really a problem as I am currently experimenting with a
    > >> handful of other browsers. Just curious.

    It could be that Ms update automation does not apply to beta versions.

    --
    Poutnik
    Poutnik, Dec 21, 2008
  11. troutman

    troutman Guest

    Finally found this information today on a Microsoft blog which I accessed
    from Microsoft Connect. This reply was posted by what appears to be a
    Microsoft employee in response to two questions similar to the one I posted
    here -
    # re: IE December Out-of-Band release

    Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:39 AM by Terry McCoy [MSFT]

    @Jan Dzikowski

    @Glen

    Security is the priority here. If you are running Vista SP2 Beta with IE 8
    Beta 2, I suggest you uninstall one of the two beta products to get a patch
    that will make you secure. Vista SP2 Beta was not a released product when
    IE 8 Beta 2 shipped. Technical issues prevented us from building a patch
    for this particular scenario.

    PhilSweet - you apparently did what is necessary to install the patch by
    uninstalling SP2 Beta. Yet another example of why there is sometimes pain
    associated with being on the bleeding edge.

    troutman, Dec 21, 2008