    why the other apps?
    there are 2 versions of each app (in program files and program files x86)
    and it seems the default app launched is the x86 version

    John, May 11, 2007

  2. RE: Vista x64 runs 32 bit version of all built in apps by default? (ma

    WMP 64-bit
    If you want to use WMP64 for playing videos enconded in different formats,
    go to
    http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/ffdshow/
    and download
    http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/ffdshow/ffdshow64-rev2546.exe
    Install it and you will be able to play most videos
    There is also a "Vista Codec Package x64Components" v1.2.2 which is updated
    almost weekly.
    Look for it at www.start64.com

    IE 64-bit
    There is currently no Java, no Flash, no ActiveX support.
    Java support seems closer but it is not there yet.
    Eventually we will have it.

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 11, 2007

  3. John

    John Guest

    Re: Vista x64 runs 32 bit version of all built in apps by default? (ma

    thanks, i knew how to make ie and wmp use the x64 version by default :)
    i was just wondering why MS decided to launch the x86 versions of mail,
    calendar, photo gallery etc by default also hehe.

    John, May 11, 2007
  4. John

    John Guest

    Re: Vista x64 runs 32 bit version of all built in apps by default? (ma

    my mistake.
    after looking at the shortcuts and the registry again, the default version
    of mail etc launched is the x64 version although the 32 bit version also
    exists in program files (x86)

    John, May 11, 2007
  5. Re: Vista x64 runs 32 bit version of all built in apps by default? (ma

    I think they chose which to make default based on backwards compatibility
    issues.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 11, 2007
  6. John

    S.SubZero Guest

    On May 11, 1:05 am, "John" <> wrote:
    > my mistake.
    > after looking at the shortcuts and the registry again, the default version
    > of mail etc launched is the x64 version although the 32 bit version also
    > exists in program files (x86)

    FYI - you can always tell which is running by checking task manager.
    The 32-bit versions always have "*32" after their name. The 64-bit
    ones will not.

    S.SubZero, May 11, 2007
  7. John

    Lang Murphy Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    >I think they chose which to make default based on backwards compatibility
    >issues.
    >
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> my mistake.
    >> after looking at the shortcuts and the registry again, the default
    >> version of mail etc launched is the x64 version although the 32 bit
    >> version also exists in program files (x86)
    >>
    >> "John" <> wrote in message
    >>> thanks, i knew how to make ie and wmp use the x64 version by default
    >>> :)
    >>> i was just wondering why MS decided to launch the x86 versions of mail,
    >>> calendar, photo gallery etc by default also hehe.
    >>>

    >>> "Carlos" <> wrote in message

    Colin, glad to see you here.

    Lang

    Lang Murphy, May 12, 2007
  8. Re: Vista x64 runs 32 bit version of all built in apps by default? (ma

    Thanks! I haven't been feeling too good of late. But I try.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 12, 2007
  9. Re: Vista x64 runs 32 bit version of all built in apps by default?

    "S.SubZero" wrote:

    > On May 11, 1:05 am, "John" <> wrote:
    > > my mistake.
    > > after looking at the shortcuts and the registry again, the default version
    > > of mail etc launched is the x64 version although the 32 bit version also
    > > exists in program files (x86)

    > FYI - you can always tell which is running by checking task manager.
    > The 32-bit versions always have "*32" after their name. The 64-bit
    > ones will not.

    So how do you set it up to start 64bit versions ?

    =?Utf-8?B?YnA=?=, May 12, 2007
  10. John

    Lang Murphy Guest

    > Thanks! I haven't been feeling too good of late. But I try.
    >
    > "Lang Murphy" <> wrote in message
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    >>>I think they chose which to make default based on backwards compatibility
    >>>issues.
    >>>
    >>> "John" <> wrote in message

    >> Colin, glad to see you here.
    >>
    >> Lang

    Must admit I don't know what ails you... I've had sciatica for about 8 weeks
    now. That, sciatica, sucks big time. Major pain. Point being... I know what
    it feels like to not feel well for extended periods. Man... it sucks. Sorry
    to hear you're having to endure not feeling well. Best of luck in that
    arena.

    Lang

    Lang Murphy, May 13, 2007
  11. Re: Vista x64 runs 32 bit version of all built in apps by default?

    I would like to know also how do you make 64-bit default for everything or
    atleast IE 7

    =?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=, May 15, 2007
  12. John

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Vista x64 runs 32 bit version of all built in apps by default?

    Sorry, but you can't. You can go thru the registry and change any that are
    defaulted thru the registry, but for the most part any that are launched by
    a 32-bit program will be the 32-bit version of IE.

    John Barnes, May 16, 2007
  13. John

    Dyawlak Guest

    Re: Vista x64 runs 32 bit version of all built in apps by default?

    There is a command line you can run for all the default apps that 64bit
    alternative but for life of me cant remember it!!

    Dyawlak, May 16, 2007
  14. Re: Vista x64 runs 32 bit version of all built in apps by default?

    Well if you can remember the command to make all 64 bit apps default or tell
    me when I need to do in the registry to make IE 64 default, I would
    appreciate it.

    =?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=, May 16, 2007
  15. John

    Dyawlak Guest

    Re: Vista x64 runs 32 bit version of all built in apps by default?

    Found at
    http://www.canucky.net/2007/03/18/how-to-switch-to-windows-vista-64-bit-painlessly.html

    1.. Click on the Start button.
    2.. Click on “All Programsâ€, and then click on “Accessoriesâ€.
    3.. Right click on “Command Prompt†and click “Run as administratorâ€.
    4.. When User Account Control prompts you for consent, click on “Continueâ€.
    5.. In the Command Prompt window, type “%windir%\system32\unregmp2.exe
    /SwapTo:64″ (without the quotes) and then press Enter.
    6.. In the Command Prompt window, type “regedit†(without the quotes).
    7.. In the left hand side of the Registry Editor window, navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\wmplayer.exe
    8.. Create a back up of the settings in this key just in case you wish to
    switch back to the 32-bit Windows Media Player for whatever reason.
    9.. Set the value for the (Default) key to “%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media
    Player\wmplayer.exe†(include the quotes).
    10.. Set the value for the Path key to “%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media
    Player†(do not include the quotes).

    Dyawlak, May 17, 2007
  16. Re: Vista x64 runs 32 bit version of all built in apps by default?

    That command is only for Media Player 11. What about the command for
    Internet Explorer 7?

    =?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=, May 17, 2007