Vista x64/GeForce 7900 GT Random Crash...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=, Jun 3, 2007.

  1. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium x64, an Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT and I
    have an Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard. I have been having some major issues
    with all of these 3 (Vista/Nvidia/A8N32).

    When I install the Nvidia drivers for Windows Vista x64, I get random
    lock-ups. I will be either playing a game, listening to music or surfing the
    net when my computer will just freeze. This is totally random. My computer
    might freeze within 5 minutes of start up or might freeze within 5 hours of
    start up. I had days where my computer will not freeze at all and other days
    where it would freeze several times a day. It is totally random. I have
    been running all the latest nvidia drivers that have been released every
    month.

    If I use the Microsoft Nvidia Drivers (the driver that is auto installed
    when Vista is installed), my computer does not freeze randomly. However,
    when my computer does to sleep and wakes up, I get all these strange lines on
    my screen and I am forced to reboot. Also whenever I play a game and turn on
    Anti-Analzing mode, I also get strange lines on my screen. But if I do not
    go to sleep or turn on Anti-Analzing, my computer works fine and does not
    freeze at all.

    I am not overclocking or anything of that nature. So I dunno what to do. I
    don’t know what else to try. Any suggestions? I am tired of playing around
    and I am considering getting a GeForce 8800 series card but I am worried I
    might experience the same effect that I am going through right now.

    My Comp Specs:

    -AMD Athlon X2 4200
    -2 x 1024 Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR Ram (Corsair)
    -HT Omega Claro Sound Card

    =?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=, Jun 3, 2007

  2. Hi:
    Until last night I had been able to use NVidia drivers (those from
    www.nvidia.com) with absolutely no problem.
    Last ones were the 158.18's
    I bought a brand new 8600GTS, manufacturer MSI.
    As I had uninstalled the previous card (Biostar 7600GT) as well as the
    drivers, Vista x64 booted in VGA because it had no driver for the 8600.
    I installed then the 158.18's that I had downloaded from MSI because I saw
    they included some kind of control panel.
    Rebooted and everything went fine.
    This morning I saw that NVidia (not MSI) had released the 158.24's with
    several improvements.
    It was then that I got MY FIRST BSOD in Vista.
    The 158.24's had detected the previous driver (158.18 from MSI), kindly
    offered to uninstall them, and with the same kindness I received the BSOD.
    Restart, uninstall the MSI 158.18's, restart, VGA screen.
    Install the NVidia 158.24's, restart. BSOD after the appearance of the
    desktop.
    Restart in safe mode, restore to the state where I had removed the 7600GT.
    Restart, VGA, no BSOD.
    Install MSI 158.18's again.
    Bottom line: I will only use the drivers supplied by the manufacturer
    (tapping my fingers on the desktop while waiting for MSI to come up with the
    158.24's)
    You made no mention about your NVidia board manufacturer, check whether they
    have a custom driver (like me) or the use the "regulars" from NVidia.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 4, 2007

  3. Depending on the age of the board, you should go to the Asus site and check
    for a BIOS update. While there, check the date of the chipset drivers
    against those on the system CD that came with the board.

    The Vista graphics drivers are quite new and issues have been reported -
    Carlos, has just reported a new version two posts below that you may try
    out. This sounds as a driver problem and buying another card may be a waste
    if you have no specific use for DX10 enabled graphics.

    Random freezing could also be indicating over-heating - so check your
    temp's.

    Also, when you are fiddling with changing drivers because of troubles,
    remove the old driver and re-boot before re-installing.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2007
  4. Tony:
    There is a beta BIOS dated March 3rd, 2007 in ASUS for that mobo.
    No final release since then.
    On the driver side, ASUS has no updates for this mobo since October 2005, so
    Vista is out of the game.
    I have a similar mobo (ASUS A8N-SLI) running with NVidia NForce4 chipset
    drivers (Vista x64 and XP x64).
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 4, 2007
  5. Yes, there is one for my board too, but there is no description to what it
    is targeting so haven't tried it - I also have no current issues here.

    I think Asus is fairly good with those updates, but like everybody else,
    some products are being phased out this way.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2007