Vista x64 excessive HDD loading at startup @ System unresponsive

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Emranius, Mar 17, 2008.

  1. Emranius

    Emranius Guest

    My Vista x64 SP1 (got it from Connect) build currently boots up to the
    desktop and then loads for 30-40mins (with the sidebar, and other startup
    programmes coming up gradually very very slowly), before becoming responsive.
    You can move the mouse but clicking on anything will be very very very slow.
    Before last night, it would take less than 30 seconds!

    All this happened after installing a new Heatsink (Xigmatek Red Scorpion,
    great performer btw). Confirmed it's not a faulty install/cpu problem as a
    dual boot to XP works fine. On first boot, the XP installation did say the
    Vista drive (hooked on a SATA port, XP is IDE) had to be checked for
    consistency, and passed all 3 stages. It did however fix some USN Journals or
    something. At first i thought the SATA drive got fubared somehow, but
    diagnostics on the drive (Seatools) from the XP install proved otherwise. I
    can also browse and use files from the SATA disk while in XP (i played a
    movie clip and opened up some documents).

    Safe mode stops at crcdisk.sys, before loading 20-30 minutes and then
    rebooting (also a common problem judging form the hits on Google). I haven't
    tried booting into safe mode again, since it does boot normally although as
    mentioned, takes 30-40 minutes before becoming responsive.

    Booting off from the SP1 CD and choosing Startup Repair doesn't work (it
    says no boot problems detected).

    1. Short of formatting and re-installing Vista x64, any ideas on what to
    look for ? I might try re-installing over the existing Vista if it's
    recommended.

    2. Any way for me to copy my documents from the Vista drive to another drive
    from within XP ? (besides of course going in Vista, wait 40 minutes and then
    hopefully be able to copy). Currently it says I have no permission to access
    the folder.

    Thanks

    System specs:

    c2d E6600
    4 GB RAM
    DFI P965-S dark
    8800GTX
    Emranius, Mar 17, 2008

  2. Emranius

    RFOG Guest

    It seems to be a SATA cable problem. Other OS than Vista works fine, but
    Vista needs a high quality ones because its way of work with disks. The best
    ones are those that has a metalical slip to press into the HD and mobo
    connector, but they are difficult to find.

    I cannot undertand why, but after about 100 Vista cold boots, you need to
    change the SATA wires. Perhaps for hot/cold changes, but this issue is
    present only with Vista and more freq. with Vista x64...

    I think is a concatenated problem: a bad hardware designer that designed
    very bad connectors. Bad mfrs. that make no quality cables and bad Vista. My
    Vista says defective sectors, looses operating system files and if computer
    unexpected shuts down, at least with 50% of freq you need to reinstall Vista
    due disk problems. I've turned back to XP x64 and it does not present any of
    the issues in same computer: Aus P5E (Intel X38 chipset), 4 GB RAM, Q4660
    and a bunch of hard disks that does not shows any errors in XP x64, XP 32
    bit, linux (gentoo and ubuntu), but it does in Vista. And it works abut 20%
    faster. Visual Studio loads in less than 1 second and with Vista needs about
    10.
    --
    Microsoft Visual C++ MVP
    ========================

    RFOG, Mar 17, 2008

  3. Do note that SATA is an IDE extension, but the BIOS will configure the IDE
    drives before SATA drives on many systems, unless you enter BIOS setup and
    make some changes as to what drive is the first/second - as well as what
    drive has the boot priority. You may have to experiment, but read through
    your Motherboard Manual and see if it has something to say about these
    priorities. In a worst-case scenario, you may have to disable the IDE drive
    manually or tweak the setup with the Vista Boot Manager(s).

    The cables are an option too, of course, but if you can access the drive
    from XP without trouble I'd guess they are more or less allright.

    I understand that this is a Dual-Boot machine now. May I ask in what order
    you installed the two systems?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 17, 2008
  4. Emranius

    Emranius Guest

    Re: Vista x64 excessive HDD loading at startup @ System unresponsi

    I'll give the cables a try, and honestly speaking wish this was the case.
    Saves me a couple of hours of re-installing.

    The installation order was:

    1. Vista on Seagate 320GB Sata. The WD 80GB IDE was plugged out (power and
    IDe cable). So the Vista installer saw only 1 disk.
    2. Install XP with the SATA plugged out. XP also sees only 1 disk.

    This way, the OS'es don't mess with each other's boot manager. All i need to
    boot from either is to press Escape during bootup (a motherboard feature) and
    pick which HDD/OS I want to. Been working since alpha releases of Vista.

    Normal boot sequence will see Vista/SATA boot up, as I've set the SATA drive
    to be the 1st HDD device to boot.

    Emranius, Mar 17, 2008
  5. Emranius

    Emranius Guest

    Re: Vista x64 excessive HDD loading at startup @ System unresponsi

    Thank you all !

    It's a combination of bad connection and/or cable coz after a couple of
    re-connections (to different SATA ports on my motherboard) and change of SATA
    cables, Vista is working again. The SATA drive is currently hooked on the
    same SATA port, but different cable (though I think the previous cable should
    work now).

    I am however experiencing missing system links (such as Windows defender
    initially not working because it "couldn't find the system path"; i solved it
    by registering the .dll's again). Some start menu items are also missing,
    like Administrative tools, Windows Update etc. I managed to restore the
    Administrative tools link, but not the other Start menu items. I have a
    feeling the USN Journal repair by the XP boot has something to do with this.

    Any way to restore my User profile/links/settings ?

    Emranius, Mar 18, 2008
  6. Re: Vista x64 excessive HDD loading at startup @ System unresponsi

    This is good news - errors like these are a troubleshooter's nightmare! Who
    knows what could be the root cause? Luckily(?), the SATA cables are an
    achille's heel and applying and routing them around the case, may require
    twisting the cable to put tension on the connector.

    I have one machine that would randomly and irregularly pop out one of the
    cables when I walked by the box - and it is not like it's rocking or
    anything, when I do, a little twisting solved that one!

    Tricky stuff, this!

    I am not on Vista myself, so cannot contribute to the start-menu troubles. I
    guess you should try and make a system re-store, using the restore points to
    an earlier date - or you could make a 'repair-install' which you can get at
    by booting off the CD/DVD and choose to install (not repair!) and after
    pressing F8 (accepting the EULA) you will have an option to repair any
    personal files and settings (no reason to skip your B/U!), but destroys any
    updates you've got from MS so, mount a couple of day's patience while the
    system updates, and you're back to normal. Do I recall people complaining
    that you may have to 'Activate'? Don't worry, these are just robots, kiss
    their boots and be done with it - nobody suspects you of anything illegal.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 18, 2008
  7. Emranius

    Emranius Guest

    Re: Vista x64 excessive HDD loading at startup @ System unresponsi

    Hi Tony,

    Yeah, a repair install would probably solve it, but I weighed that against a
    clean install; i.e. if I'm gonna install it again, might as well bite the
    bullet and go for a clean system. Until the missing links present a bigger
    problem though, I guess I'll just live with it. :)

    Re-installing over a previous Vista installation will make your copy
    "illegal", due to it it being unactivated. This was cleared by a
    MSVP/microsoft employee in another Vista forum I read.

    Thanks again for the help and suggestion !

    Emranius, Mar 19, 2008
  8. Re: Vista x64 excessive HDD loading at startup @ System unresponsi

    That does not sound right since activation should not be an issue. I was
    advised to perform an in-place upgrade (Vista's version of a repair install)
    by a technician in MS Product Support Services and activation had not yet
    been done on the system being "repaired." Anyway, activation is not
    required, just compliance with the EULA, when installing Windows.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 19, 2008