    the following:

    From my Vista x64 machine, surf to the \\server\printers. Right
    clicked and went to server properties. On the driver tab, added a new
    x64 driver. Pointed to the fresh downloaded driver for HP LaserJet
    4250 made May 6th. After doing this, I still get that error message
    above when I try to add the printer share to my Vista machine.

    Any suggestions?
    Jason Chambers, May 23, 2008

  2. Jason Chambers

    propman Guest

    Jason Chambers wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm trying to access 64bit printer share that have been installed on a
    > Windows 2003 x86 server to my Vista Ultimate x64, but I continually
    > get "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be
    > completed. (error 0x0000007e)". I have added the x64 drivers by doing
    > the following:
    >
    > From my Vista x64 machine, surf to the \\server\printers. Right
    > clicked and went to server properties. On the driver tab, added a new
    > x64 driver. Pointed to the fresh downloaded driver for HP LaserJet
    > 4250 made May 6th. After doing this, I still get that error message
    > above when I try to add the printer share to my Vista machine.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Might be an obvious suggestion......

    Did you run the file first to install it before trying to setup the
    print. If you are pointing your setup to the actual file you download
    from HP then it's no wonder it's not working as it's an executable file
    (.exe) which contains the printer drivers. The drivers themselves have
    to be "unpacked" from the exe file and then installed on the server.
    propman, May 23, 2008

  3. On May 23, 2:45 pm, propman <> wrote:
    > Jason Chambers wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I'm trying to access 64bit printer share that have been installed on a
    > > Windows 2003 x86 server to my Vista Ultimate x64, but I continually
    > > get "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be
    > > completed. (error 0x0000007e)". I have added the x64 drivers by doing
    > > the following:

    > > From my Vista x64 machine, surf to the \\server\printers. Right
    > > clicked and went to server properties. On the driver tab, added a new
    > > x64 driver. Pointed to the fresh downloaded driver for HP LaserJet
    > > 4250 made May 6th. After doing this, I still get that error message
    > > above when I try to add the printer share to my Vista machine.

    > > Any suggestions?

    > Might be an obvious suggestion......
    >
    > Did you run the file first to install it before trying to setup the
    > print.  If you are pointing your setup to the actual file you download
    > from HP then it's no wonder it's not working as it's an executable file
    > (.exe) which contains the printer drivers.  The drivers themselves have
    > to be "unpacked" from the exe file and then installed on the server.

    Hi Propman,

    I have sucessfully extracted and installed the drivers into the
    server. The problem is when getting the clients to attach/install to
    the printer shares this message comes up.
    Jason Chambers, May 23, 2008
  4. Jason Chambers

    propman Guest

    Jason Chambers wrote:
    > On May 23, 2:45 pm, propman <> wrote:
    >> Jason Chambers wrote:
    >>> Hi All,

    > (.exe) which contains the printer drivers. The drivers themselves have
    >> to be "unpacked" from the exe file and then installed on the server.

    > Hi Propman,
    >
    > I have sucessfully extracted and installed the drivers into the
    > server. The problem is when getting the clients to attach/install to
    > the printer shares this message comes up.

    Sorry not much use then.....and a little out of my depth to continue
    without a lot of Google'ing on my part! :)

    Might want to try posting your query to.......

    microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing

    .........seems like there some rascals in that newsgroup who really know
    their stuff. I'm subscribed to that newsgroup and so will be keeping an
    eye out for further developments if you do decide to post there. :)
    propman, May 23, 2008
  5. something about the driver is still missing

    winerror 0x0000007e
    126 ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND <--> 0xc0000135 STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND

    the driver names must match exactly. For the most part HP has this figured
    out.

    You can work around the issue by creating a local printer on the x64
    machine. Create a Local Port in the name
    \\server\printsharename

    use the x64 driver you already have

    --
    Alan Morris