    Center? Can i just replace hal.dll from Media Center and place in Vista
    system32 directory?

    Murray
    =?Utf-8?B?TXVycmF5?=, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Please don't tell me you installed Vista into the same partition as MCE? If
    you did, start over completely, using the system recovery disk your OEM
    provided. Vista MUST be in its own partition

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 30, 2006

  3. No.. I setup a new partition on my system with partition magic. each OS is
    separate. the boot Partition is now Vista.. If I try to switch boot partition
    to Media Center then when i switch back Vista fails.

    Booting is now done via the X64 vista partition. It sees other drive but
    before restoring hal.dll from media center wanted to see is anyone else had
    this issue

    Murray

    =?Utf-8?B?TXVycmF5?=, Dec 30, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TXVycmF5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    When in Vista, check Disk Management and confirm which system is your System
    partition. Please list by partition number, left to right, which OS is on
    each partition and which is the System. Making sure you see system and
    hidden files, on which partition is the Boot folder, the ntldr ntdetect.com
    and boot.ini When you get back we will determine the next steps to get
    you going. Your hal.dll file is not missing, just misdirected.
    Also you can download VistaBootPro http://www.vistabootpro.org/ and install
    it on Vista as we may need it in the next step.

    John Barnes, Dec 30, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TXVycmF5?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I've seen a similar issue before. Did you use Partition Magic to create
    another partition in *front* of your existing XP partition? If you did, MCE
    probably won't boot correctly unless you edit the boot.ini file and point it
    to the second partition instead of the first.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Dec 30, 2006
  6. good point.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 30, 2006
  7. I like naming my partitions ahead of time. Makes it a lot easier to keep
    track of which is which when Vista starts swapping things around.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 30, 2006
  8. Whew. When I read it the first time it definitely didn't read that way.
    Using the BIOS (or PM) to switch boot partitions doesn't generally work in
    Vista.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64