    after this sequence either. I am using amd athlon64 3800+ am2; asus m2n32sli
    deluxe nvidia 590 mobo; 2GB DDR2 800 xmms2 ram. If any other info is
    needed, please let me know, as this seems like a problem for microsoft.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmluY29sbg==?=, Apr 29, 2007

  2. Rincoln:
    Check your BIOS settings and see if ACPI is enabled there.
    See also if there are any relevant settings there that might be the root
    cause of your problem.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 30, 2007

  3. I'd be inclined to look for the presence of one of the problem A-V programs
    as well. (Avast! springs to mind.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 30, 2007
  4. Charlie:
    That was my first choice, but upon re-reading the post I placed first the
    BIOS thing.
    Just a hunch.
    It might as well be Avast though I have had no shutdown problems with the
    latest releases.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 30, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UmluY29sbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    It's been over a year since anyone has reported shut-down problems with
    Avast. I've also never seen it implicated in a Vista shutdown problem.
    They certainly did mess up some systems with that 64-bit system problem a
    couple of months ago.

    John Barnes, Apr 30, 2007
  6. Nor have I. I use Avast! on both my boxes running Vista x64 and have no
    issues.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 30, 2007
  7. ACPI enabled in bios and don't use Avast. I am running the x64 edition of
    ultimate, is there a known issue there?

    =?Utf-8?B?UmluY29sbg==?=, Apr 30, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UmluY29sbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I don't see similar shutdown problems in the Vista group. Looks like normal
    detective work is in order.
    1. Does it shut down from safe mode
    2. Try diagnostic startup in msconfig. Cycle at least twice. Does it shut
    down?
    3. You can try manually shutting down blocks of processes from task manager
    and see if any block fixes the problem, then try tasks within the blocks.

    John Barnes, Apr 30, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UmluY29sbg==?=

    mikeyhsd Guest

    the ATI control console has been\know to SLOW down reboot /shutdown. do you have an ati video card.

    mikeyhsd, May 1, 2007
  10. I'm sure you're right. But where it isn't Avast, there are other things that
    can get in the way. Though I would expect Vista to be able to stomp on just
    about anything. I strongly suspect you're right about BIOS and/or other
    hardware problem.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 1, 2007
  11. No to the ATI, using GeForce 7950 GX2 (a whole other problem in itself with
    vista, but I've worked out those bugs). As for the whole boot thing.....I've
    reformatted and reinstalled, this time with no problems as of yet. Windows
    is picky about how it installs and in previous versions has had hidden errors
    from installation. Anyways, I am workin with it until it fails again. The
    weirdest thing about it was that it would shut down the entire system except
    for sending a power off signal. It was obvious that the system was no longer
    running (hard disks off, monitor off, sound pops and turns off) but the power
    lights and fans all still ran. I guess there's really no need to discuss it
    further yet since I don't have the problem anymore. Thanks to all who
    replied!

    =?Utf-8?B?UmluY29sbg==?=, May 1, 2007
  12. And of course, a week later, the problem reappears. New info: The computer
    will hibernate perfectly!!!! (stores everything to harddrive and turns off)
    But, the computer still refuses to properly execute the shutdown command. As
    stated before, windows actually seems to finish the shutdown sequence
    shutting off the harddisks and the video card, but not power to the system.
    Why would it do so for hibernate but not for "shutdown?" I will work on
    finding processes that may be hanging and I'll get back here soon.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmluY29sbg==?=, May 6, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?UmluY29sbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Any chance you have wake on Lan set in your bios. You might try unplugging
    your internet connection before shutting down once to see if that makes a
    difference.

    John Barnes, May 7, 2007
  14. No, the boot rom is disabled for both ethernet ports (onboard gigabit), I'm
    starting to feel that this is a software glitch apparent only in my hardware.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmluY29sbg==?=, May 9, 2007
  15. John Barnes you're a genious, after reading this post I unplugged my Internet
    connection and restarted and bingo my computer shut down in no time and
    restarted normally.
    I will have to report this to AOL as I have been calling everywhere about my
    computer not shutting down on restart....even HP wanted me to send the
    notebook back for service.
    Thanks a lot John Barnes
    Johnny Legault ()

    =?Utf-8?B?Tk9HT0dMTw==?=, Jul 9, 2007