    Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
    how to get past this? Thanks.

    , Sep 2, 2007

  2. Ponder Guest

    Hiya .

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
    > student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
    > and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
    > Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
    > how to get past this? Thanks.

    Maybe it's detected the Code Red virus ;)

    On a more serious note, can the CD be read on any other computer/OS? If
    so then make a copy of files only using that other computer. If not then
    the CD itself may be corrupt.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Sep 2, 2007

  3. wrote:
    > My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
    > student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
    > and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
    > Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
    > how to get past this? Thanks.

    I've not run into this one, but has your friend tried installing a
    Cyrillic font?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 3, 2007
  4. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
    > student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
    > and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
    > Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
    > how to get past this? Thanks.

    Give it to a Mac user.
    They won't have any trouble.

    Mitch, Sep 3, 2007
  5. Vanguard Guest

    sallywelsh wrote ...
    > My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
    > student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
    > and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in
    > Russian--
    > Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any
    > idea
    > how to get past this? Thanks.

    Were these picture or movie discs? From
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/23fdnm:

    Region Protection Coding (RPC) of DVD Discs is a feature that is
    supported on DVD Players and is used with DVD-Video Discs (i.e.
    movies). Currently, the motion picture industry has divided the world
    into different regional "zones." These regions or "zones" correlate to
    the regional markets into which the motion picture industry releases
    movies.

    Simply put, RPC Codes are placed on Movie Discs marketed
    throughout the world based on the region of the world where they are
    being sold. These RPC codes help to control and prevent the pirating
    of new release movies into other motion picture market regions prior
    to their true release dates within those markets. The CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    drive supports the current RPC phase 2 industry specifications.

    The drive's regional code is set to the code found on the first
    DVD video disc that you load into your drive. The regional code will
    change if another DVD video disc from another region is inserted. Your
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM allows the regional code to change four times. The fifth
    time a different regional coded DVD is inserted, your drive will be
    permanently set to that regional code.

    Vanguard, Sep 3, 2007
  6. Vanguard wrote:
    > sallywelsh wrote ...
    >> My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
    >> student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
    >> and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
    >> Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
    >> how to get past this? Thanks.

    > Were these picture or movie discs? From http://preview.tinyurl.com/23fdnm:

    "This is a multi-part message in MIME format."

    =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 3, 2007
  7. Guest

    , Sep 3, 2007
  8. Vanguard Guest

    "Rôgêr" wrote in message

    > "This is a multi-part message in MIME format."

    Yeah, I just noticed upon returning here that there was a spacer.gif
    attached to my post. I didn't add it. Yet I see there is a MIME part
    for it. I post in plain-text mode (i.e., OE is configured to use MIME
    but encoding of text is set to "None"). It's been like that for
    years. I have the option disabled to reply in the same format as the
    original message (i.e., I want to post in my own selected format, and
    for NNTP that is plain-text). My other posts have headers like:

    And they have no MIME parts. This post had:

    Don't know what changed yet. I haven't a clue yet as to why there
    would ever be a MIME part in my post or where spacer.gif came from
    (there are multiple copies of this file on my drives but they are for
    VisualStudio, scanner GUI, ArcSoft PhotoStudio, VMWare, and Windows
    help system).

    It almost looks like some web beacon since the GIF's dimensions are
    1x1 (just 1 pixel in size). The image's location is
    http://sdd.toshiba.com/images/spacer.gif. I don't have hardware or
    software from Toshiba. I've run anti-malware scans using:

    AVG anti-virus
    AVG AntiSpyware (ewido)
    Spybot S&D
    SuperAntiSpyware
    Windows Defender

    No pests found by these. Maybe I accidentally dragged or pasted
    something into the new-mail window. My eyes are itchy so it must be
    time for sleep. See what happens later.

    Vanguard, Sep 3, 2007
  9. Vanguard Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "Rôgêr" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "This is a multi-part message in MIME format."

    > Yeah, I just noticed upon returning here that there was a spacer.gif
    > attached to my post. I didn't add it. Yet I see there is a MIME
    > part for it. I post in plain-text mode (i.e., OE is configured to
    > use MIME but encoding of text is set to "None"). It's been like
    > that for years. I have the option disabled to reply in the same
    > format as the original message (i.e., I want to post in my own
    > selected format, and for NNTP that is plain-text). My other posts
    > have headers like:

    > And they have no MIME parts. This post had:

    > Don't know what changed yet. I haven't a clue yet as to why there
    > would ever be a MIME part in my post or where spacer.gif came from
    > (there are multiple copies of this file on my drives but they are
    > for VisualStudio, scanner GUI, ArcSoft PhotoStudio, VMWare, and
    > Windows help system).
    >
    > It almost looks like some web beacon since the GIF's dimensions are
    > 1x1 (just 1 pixel in size). The image's location is
    > http://sdd.toshiba.com/images/spacer.gif. I don't have hardware or
    > software from Toshiba. I've run anti-malware scans using:
    >
    > AVG anti-virus
    > AVG AntiSpyware (ewido)
    > Spybot S&D
    > SuperAntiSpyware
    > Windows Defender
    >
    > No pests found by these. Maybe I accidentally dragged or pasted
    > something into the new-mail window. My eyes are itchy so it must be
    > time for sleep. See what happens later.

    Aha! Didn't happen this time. Bet I know what happened: I copied and
    pasted the info about regional codes and maybe it included the
    spacer.gif file from the HTML-formatted web page.

    Vanguard, Sep 3, 2007
  10. Hello!

    On Sep 2, 12:58 pm, wrote:
    > My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
    > student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
    > and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
    > Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
    > how to get past this? Thanks.

    Yes, file names are deep-system things and depend on System Code Page
    ("Western", "Cyrillic", "Japanese",etc.), for example
    - German file names would have same trouble under computer where
    system code page is Cyrillic or Japanese

    There is a solution for "Western" code page computer (especially for
    computer that currently has just English file names and not German or
    French) -
    temporarily change System Code Page to Cyrillic while working with
    those files:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/full_e.htm#Vista

    --
    Regards,
    Paul Gorodyansky

    Paul Gorodyansky, Sep 3, 2007
  11. Gary Xen Guest

    Paul Gorodyansky wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > On Sep 2, 12:58 pm, wrote:
    >> My friend has a new pc with Vista. She also has a new exchange
    >> student from Russia. The student brought a data cd full of pictures
    >> and Vista won't read it presumably because the cd title is in Russian--
    >> Cyrillic alphabet. I'm guessing that is the problem anyway. Any idea
    >> how to get past this? Thanks.

    > Yes, file names are deep-system things and depend on System Code Page
    > ("Western", "Cyrillic", "Japanese",etc.), for example
    > - German file names would have same trouble under computer where
    > system code page is Cyrillic or Japanese
    >
    > There is a solution for "Western" code page computer (especially for
    > computer that currently has just English file names and not German or
    > French) -
    > temporarily change System Code Page to Cyrillic while working with
    > those files:
    > http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/full_e.htm#Vista
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Paul Gorodyansky
    > "Cyrillic (Russian): instructions for Windows and Internet":
    > http://RusWin.net

    Vista is a bad OS. No more and no less. Use at least XP. Or Apple.
    Or PCLOS, the oasis.

    Greetings Gary.

    Gary Xen, Sep 3, 2007
  12. On Sep 3, 7:22 am, Gary Xen <> wrote:

    > Vista is a bad OS. No more and no less. Use at least XP.

    Windows XP or 2003 or 2000 has _exactly_ same problem and same
    solution could be used as one covered in my previous post. Again, the
    issue is NOT Russian-specific, same issue exists for any language
    except English -
    German, Spanish, Japanese, etc. Details on the page I pointed to in my
    1st message here ( http://RusWin.net/full.htm )

    --
    Regards,
    Paul