Vista wont let me rename a harddrive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dennis, Apr 13, 2008.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    I just upgraded from WinXp to Vista Ultimate.

    For some reason it has decided to name my harddrive partitions
    differently. D is E, it swapped them.

    When I go to disk management and try to rename my D drive it says it
    cant modify it because its a System partition, boot volume, or has
    page files. I notice it has classified this drive as a "System
    Drive". I know 1000% that its just a pure data drive (music) with no
    system files, swap files or boot info.

    THE QUESTION: How do I unclassify the harddrive as "system" so I can
    rename it from D to E?

    Thx in advance

    Dennis, Apr 13, 2008

  2. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    On Apr 13, 2:07 pm, Dennis <> wrote:
    > I just upgraded from WinXp to Vista Ultimate.
    >
    > For some reason it has decided to name my harddrive partitions
    > differently. D is E, it swapped them.
    >
    > When I go to disk management and try to rename my D drive it says it
    > cant modify it because its a System partition, boot volume, or has
    > page files. I notice it has classified this drive as a "System
    > Drive".  I know 1000% that its just a pure data drive (music) with no
    > system files, swap files or boot info.
    >
    > THE QUESTION: How do I unclassify the harddrive as "system" so I can
    > rename it from D to E?
    >
    > Thx in advance

    Nevermind I figured it out.. had to edit the registry... kinna silly
    you cant do it from disk management... but whatever, so far Vista is
    looking sweet and I've had no other problems.

    knockonwood

    Dennis, Apr 13, 2008

  3. Dennis

    chuckcar Guest

    Dennis <> wrote in

    > I just upgraded from WinXp to Vista Ultimate.
    >
    > For some reason it has decided to name my harddrive partitions
    > differently. D is E, it swapped them.
    >
    > When I go to disk management and try to rename my D drive it says it
    > cant modify it because its a System partition, boot volume, or has
    > page files. I notice it has classified this drive as a "System
    > Drive". I know 1000% that its just a pure data drive (music) with no
    > system files, swap files or boot info.
    >

    > THE QUESTION: How do I unclassify the harddrive as "system" so I can
    > rename it from D to E?

    Um, the drive letter *isn't* the name. The name is the label. Apparently
    you fouled things up already. Be warned, some programs won't work esp.
    if they were installed on either drive.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 13, 2008
  4. Dennis

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:51:52 -0500, Lookout wrote:

    >>I just upgraded from WinXp to Vista Ultimate.

    Yeah. Right.

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

    Aardvark, Apr 13, 2008
  5. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    > 1000%?
    > You're an idiot.

    > Um, the drive letter *isn't* the name. The name is the label. Apparently
    > you fouled things up already. Be warned, some programs won't work esp.
    > if they were installed on either drive

    Great posts guys. The world is a better place now.
    Give yourselves a pat on the back. Well done!

    ps - you're 100000% useless :)

    Dennis, Apr 15, 2008