Vista Wireless Problems: Connected with Limited Access / Local Onlyetc

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Distorted Vision, Jul 31, 2008.

  1. Hi,

    I'm having problems with one of my desktop machines which has Vista
    Ultimate 32 bit installed. It has a Netgear WG311T network card. It is
    having strange intermittent problems with the wireless connection.
    There are 3 other wireless machines on the network but they are
    running Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server. I have had the wireless
    running on this machine using the same hardware and even the same
    driver for over a year. But with this fresh clean install its giving
    me problems.

    The problem is very intermittent. Sometimes it will connect if I do
    diagnose this connection or ipconfig /renew. Sometimes I get local
    access only. Sometimes it doesn't connect at all and doesn't even find
    the network.

    I've tried all the suggestions on websites I've read including:

    Disabling power saving on the NIC
    Disabling IPv6
    Disabling QoS
    Changing wireless channels

    Does anyone have any other suggestions because I'm really stuck.

    Many thanks!

    Distorted Vision, Jul 31, 2008

  2. Distorted Vision

    Spikey Guest

    Re: Vista Wireless Problems: Connected with Limited Access / Local Only etc

    "Distorted Vision" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having problems with one of my desktop machines which has Vista
    > Ultimate 32 bit installed. It has a Netgear WG311T network card. It is
    > having strange intermittent problems with the wireless connection.
    > There are 3 other wireless machines on the network but they are
    > running Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server. I have had the wireless
    > running on this machine using the same hardware and even the same
    > driver for over a year. But with this fresh clean install its giving
    > me problems.
    >
    > The problem is very intermittent. Sometimes it will connect if I do
    > diagnose this connection or ipconfig /renew. Sometimes I get local
    > access only. Sometimes it doesn't connect at all and doesn't even find
    > the network.

    Had a similar problem with laptop connected to cabled network. In my case
    when I disconnected the router and reconnected it was finding an incorrect
    network with limited (no internet access). pulling the network cable out and
    in fixed the problem but didnt want to be doing that everytime.

    The workaround I used was to create an alternate IPv4 configuration using a
    spare address from the subnet but outside of the DHCP pool.

    Spikey, Jul 31, 2008

  3. Re: Vista Wireless Problems: Connected with Limited Access / Local Only etc

    This could be incompatible issue. Have you checked if there is a new driver
    for NIC or firmware for the router.
    Vista incompatible issues
    Vista Incompatible issues. 1. Some switches or routers may not
    compatible with Vista - Solutions: upgrade the firmware, disable the IPv6,
    re-configure the ...
    www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jul 31, 2008
  4. Re: Vista Wireless Problems: Connected with Limited Access / LocalOnly etc

    I have a Netgear DG834PN router and it has the latest firmware. I'm
    using the Atheros drivers for my network card which I was using using
    without any problems with my previous Vista installation on the same
    machine. I've also tried the Negear drivers but have exactly the same
    problem. I've even tried a different wireless network card the Netgear
    WPN311T and interesting it does exactly the same thing.

    Any ideas anyone please?

    Distorted Vision, Jul 31, 2008
  5. Distorted Vision

    Big_Al Guest

    Distorted Vision wrote:
    > I have a Netgear DG834PN router and it has the latest firmware. I'm
    > using the Atheros drivers for my network card which I was using using
    > without any problems with my previous Vista installation on the same
    > machine. I've also tried the Negear drivers but have exactly the same
    > problem. I've even tried a different wireless network card the Netgear
    > WPN311T and interesting it does exactly the same thing.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone please?

    Two recent problems I've had, I'll relay. Give them a stab, you got
    nothing to lose.

    I was just working on a friends Vista PC, wireless with a netgear router
    and I was having troubles with only some web pages working. Google
    would work, but no links on the search list would work, like Nascar.com.
    HP tech (it was an HP laptop) said it was the new router the cable
    company just installed. I have to agree with him. We are now working
    on getting a new router. He suggested updating the firmware, but I'm
    not sure I would since its not mine but the cable co's. But as a work
    around he downgraded the WPA2 security to WEP and that fixed the
    internet.

    I also personally have an Actiontech router for my FIOS account at home
    and the WPA2 encryption algorithm was set to AES/XXXX (not sure what
    the XXX was but it was like TKT). Anyway I changed the algorithm to
    AES only and it works now.

    Big_Al, Aug 10, 2008