vista wireless connection has decided to go "local only"

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by billcoumbe@hotmail.com, Jan 21, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I have a belkin wireless router modem, an OS 9 Mac and a Vista
    laptop ...

    I got the laptop a few months ago and initially had some hassle
    getting it connected to the internet, but after a few wasted hours I
    got it working.

    Suddenly this morning the laptop won't get any further than the router
    - the connection is "local only". The seven year old Mac is connected
    to the internet fine. The router sees the laptop and the laptop sees
    the router. But no internet connection from the laptop.

    afaik nothing has been changed on the laptop or the router. The
    wireless signal strength is excellent.

    I've spent some time trawling the internet but there doesn't seem to
    be a definite answer for this (common) problem.

    As far as I'm concerned the laptop/OS isn't fit for purpose, so before
    I get the local Trading Standards office involved to get my money back
    can anyone suggest a solution?

    (... to think, I could have bought another Mac instead of this
    garbage!)
    , Jan 21, 2008

  2. You may want to disable IPv6 for a test. Or this search result may help.
    Please post back with the result.

    Vista Local Only and Limited or Not ConnectivityVista Limited connectivity
    Vista: Local only - no Internet issues Vista - Local Connection Only Vista
    Wireless Limited or No Connectivity ...
    www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jan 21, 2008

  3. Guest

    Hi Bob

    Thank you - I think you fixed it! IPv6 was already disabled, among
    other things. But I did the search you suggested which led me to your
    post at http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/110861-internet-vista.html

    Having read that page I tried this - control panel > device manager >
    network adapters > your network card > properties > advanced > speed
    and duplex - I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing at this point but
    I set this to 100Mb half and it works! Let's hope it stays that
    way ...

    But how come this sort of information isn't easily accessible on the
    computer manufacturer's and operating system company's websites ...?

    Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > You may want to disable IPv6 for a test. Or this search result may help.
    > Please post back with the result.
    >
    > Vista Local Only and Limited or Not ConnectivityVista Limited connectivity
    > Vista: Local only - no Internet issues Vista - Local Connection Only Vista
    > Wireless Limited or No Connectivity ...
    > www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm
    >

    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have a belkin wireless router modem, an OS 9 Mac and a Vista
    > > laptop ...
    > >
    > > I got the laptop a few months ago and initially had some hassle
    > > getting it connected to the internet, but after a few wasted hours I
    > > got it working.
    > >
    > > Suddenly this morning the laptop won't get any further than the router
    > > - the connection is "local only". The seven year old Mac is connected
    > > to the internet fine. The router sees the laptop and the laptop sees
    > > the router. But no internet connection from the laptop.
    > >
    > > afaik nothing has been changed on the laptop or the router. The
    > > wireless signal strength is excellent.
    > >
    > > I've spent some time trawling the internet but there doesn't seem to
    > > be a definite answer for this (common) problem.
    > >
    > > As far as I'm concerned the laptop/OS isn't fit for purpose, so before
    > > I get the local Trading Standards office involved to get my money back
    > > can anyone suggest a solution?
    > >
    > > (... to think, I could have bought another Mac instead of this
    > > garbage!)
    , Jan 21, 2008
  4. Thank you for the feedback.

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jan 22, 2008