Vista what Crap..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XP, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. XP

    XP Guest

    XP, Jan 2, 2006

  2. On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:52:21 +1300, XP wrote:

    > Vista Won't Play With Old DVD Drives

    well there you go, Woger. Your beloved Micro$oft is in league with the
    movie houses in conspiring to prevent you from using your own hardware the
    way you yourself want to use it.

    Next minute it'll be dropping 16 bit support. Oh. It's already done
    that.

    Next minute it'll be producing a version of your beloved Micro$oft Windows
    that nobody has produced any actual usable software to go with it.

    Oh. They've already done that too.

    <snigggggaaaaar>

    You want your proprietary software. That is the cost.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    "Simply opening the wrong Web page or receiving an e-mail with an errant
    image file could be enough to cripple your computer, thanks to a newly
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 2, 2006

  3. XP

    Mutley Guest

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:52:21 +1300, XP wrote:
    >
    >> Vista Won't Play With Old DVD Drives

    >well there you go, Woger. Your beloved Micro$oft is in league with the
    >movie houses in conspiring to prevent you from using your own hardware the
    >way you yourself want to use it.
    >
    >Next minute it'll be dropping 16 bit support. Oh. It's already done
    >that.
    >
    >Next minute it'll be producing a version of your beloved Micro$oft Windows
    >that nobody has produced any actual usable software to go with it.
    >
    >Oh. They've already done that too.
    >
    ><snigggggaaaaar>
    >
    >You want your proprietary software. That is the cost.
    >

    >Undeniably Sluttish

    Microsoft might just as well rename Windows vista to Windows DRM and
    all big commercial companies will be supporting it big time .Leaving
    the end user renting a PC like a TV box and big green go buttons and
    connecting to PC every time they use it for permission. With no doubt
    a change in the law to help it all along.
    Mutley, Jan 2, 2006
  4. XP

    Rob J Guest

    > Mr Undeniably Sluttish <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:52:21 +1300, XP wrote:
    > >
    > >> Vista Won't Play With Old DVD Drives

    > >well there you go, Woger. Your beloved Micro$oft is in league with the
    > >movie houses in conspiring to prevent you from using your own hardware the
    > >way you yourself want to use it.
    > >
    > >Next minute it'll be dropping 16 bit support. Oh. It's already done
    > >that.
    > >
    > >Next minute it'll be producing a version of your beloved Micro$oft Windows
    > >that nobody has produced any actual usable software to go with it.
    > >
    > >Oh. They've already done that too.
    > >
    > ><snigggggaaaaar>
    > >
    > >You want your proprietary software. That is the cost.
    > >

    > >Undeniably Sluttish

    FOS Mr Slutty, as usual you don't have a clue what you are on about.
    Rob J, Jan 2, 2006
  5. XP

    smf Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    >> Mr Undeniably Sluttish <> wrote:

    >>> well there you go, Woger. Your beloved Micro$oft is in league with the
    >>> movie houses in conspiring to prevent you from using your own hardware the
    >>> way you yourself want to use it.
    >>>
    >>> Next minute it'll be dropping 16 bit support. Oh. It's already done
    >>> that.
    >>>
    >>> Next minute it'll be producing a version of your beloved Micro$oft Windows
    >>> that nobody has produced any actual usable software to go with it.
    >>>
    >>> Oh. They've already done that too.
    >>>
    >>> <snigggggaaaaar>
    >>>
    >>> You want your proprietary software. That is the cost.
    >>>

    >>> Undeniably Sluttish

    > FOS Mr Slutty, as usual you don't have a clue what you are on about.

    I read quite an interesting little article (can't recall where now)
    about how the internet would never have gotten off the ground at all if
    any of the ridiculously stringent IP and DRM laws were in place .......
    its like its coming full circle .... I won't be moving to vista in a
    hurry - i have no desire to try and compete with this stuff
    smf, Jan 3, 2006
  6. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:32:50 +1300, smf wrote:

    > I won't be moving to vista in a
    > hurry - i have no desire to try and compete with this stuff

    Micro$oft Windoze Vista will merely help to move more people over to *nix.

    Of course there will always be those sheep who follow the latest fashion
    trend and who don't know that there be anything better than what the
    latest designer software label throws down the IP/DRM catwalk.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 3, 2006
  7. XP

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:45:30 +1300, Mr Undeniably Sluttish
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:32:50 +1300, smf wrote:
    >
    >> I won't be moving to vista in a
    >> hurry - i have no desire to try and compete with this stuff

    >Micro$oft Windoze Vista will merely help to move more people over to *nix.

    Exactly.
    GraB, Jan 3, 2006
  8. XP

    whoisthis Guest

    whoisthis, Jan 3, 2006
  9. XP

    smf Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:45:30 +1300, Mr Undeniably Sluttish
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:32:50 +1300, smf wrote:
    >>
    >>> I won't be moving to vista in a
    >>> hurry - i have no desire to try and compete with this stuff

    >> Micro$oft Windoze Vista will merely help to move more people over to *nix.
    >>

    > Exactly.

    heh .... too true ... xp has already sent me *nix.....
    I am having fun with ubuntu right now .... no drm issues - no problems
    ripping dvds ... I mean <cough> making legit copies....
    smf, Jan 3, 2006
  10. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:13:11 +1300, smf wrote:

    > heh .... too true ... xp has already sent me *nix.....
    > I am having fun with ubuntu right now .... no drm issues - no problems
    > ripping dvds ... I mean <cough> making legit copies....

    LOLOL!

    Nice!

    Undeniably Sluttish

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 3, 2006
  11. XP

    steve Guest

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/06/01/01/1021218.shtml?tid=109&tid=188&tid=137

    > No more hacked Firmware needs RPC2 , no more DVD movies for you!"

    Only for DVD drives made prior to the year 2000.

    I have one.....but most people wouldn't and most of those would have died a
    long time ago.

    I use Linux anyway.....so what Microsoft does doesn't matter either way as
    far as I'm concerned.....but the details of this story make it clear this
    one is no big deal.
    steve, Jan 3, 2006
  12. XP

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > XP wrote:
    >

    > > Vista Won't Play With Old DVD Drives
    > >

    > http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/06/01/01/1021218.shtml?tid=109&tid=188&tid=137
    > >
    > > No more hacked Firmware needs RPC2 , no more DVD movies for you!"

    > Only for DVD drives made prior to the year 2000.
    >
    > I have one.....but most people wouldn't and most of those would have died a
    > long time ago.
    >
    > I use Linux anyway.....so what Microsoft does doesn't matter either way as
    > far as I'm concerned.....but the details of this story make it clear this
    > one is no big deal.

    For your information, some people reflash their RPC2 drives with RPC1
    firmware in order to bypass RPC2 region restrictions.
    Rob J, Jan 3, 2006
  13. XP

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:17:18 +1300, Rob J <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> XP wrote:
    >>

    >> > Vista Won't Play With Old DVD Drives
    >> >

    >> http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/06/01/01/1021218.shtml?tid=109&tid=188&tid=137
    >> >
    >> > No more hacked Firmware needs RPC2 , no more DVD movies for you!"

    >> Only for DVD drives made prior to the year 2000.
    >>
    >> I have one.....but most people wouldn't and most of those would have died a
    >> long time ago.
    >>
    >> I use Linux anyway.....so what Microsoft does doesn't matter either way as
    >> far as I'm concerned.....but the details of this story make it clear this
    >> one is no big deal.

    >For your information, some people reflash their RPC2 drives with RPC1
    >firmware in order to bypass RPC2 region restrictions.

    That will not work, you need RPC2 for Vista to run..
    XP, Jan 3, 2006
  14. XP

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:17:18 +1300, Rob J <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> XP wrote:
    >>

    >> > Vista Won't Play With Old DVD Drives
    >> >

    >> http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/06/01/01/1021218.shtml?tid=109&tid=188&tid=137
    >> >
    >> > No more hacked Firmware needs RPC2 , no more DVD movies for you!"

    >> Only for DVD drives made prior to the year 2000.
    >>
    >> I have one.....but most people wouldn't and most of those would have died a
    >> long time ago.
    >>
    >> I use Linux anyway.....so what Microsoft does doesn't matter either way as
    >> far as I'm concerned.....but the details of this story make it clear this
    >> one is no big deal.

    >For your information, some people reflash their RPC2 drives with RPC1
    >firmware in order to bypass RPC2 region restrictions.

    Seems that most of you do not understand the point, you need a RPC2 Drive for
    Vista to work..
    XP, Jan 3, 2006
  15. XP

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:32:50 +1300, smf wrote:
    >

    >>I won't be moving to vista in a
    >>hurry - i have no desire to try and compete with this stuff

    > Micro$oft Windoze Vista will merely help to move more people over to *nix.
    >
    > Of course there will always be those sheep who follow the latest fashion
    > trend and who don't know that there be anything better than what the
    > latest designer software label throws down the IP/DRM catwalk.
    >

    > Undeniably Sluttish

    It will be like the Devels greatest trick (convincing everybody he dont
    exsist) the DRM part and when It does the poore user will be so traped
    and ensneared, They will have to continue to shell out money till the
    death of there DRMed data they don't own even if they createdt it.

    Robert Cooze, Jan 3, 2006
  16. XP

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Rob,

    > For your information, some people reflash their RPC2 drives with RPC1
    > firmware in order to bypass RPC2 region restrictions.

    so dont buy crippled hardware in the first place - a dvd drive is exactly
    that, a dvd drive if it doesnt read dvd's its not fit for its intended use.

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Jan 3, 2006
  17. XP

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:17:18 +1300, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/06/01/01/1021218.shtml?tid=109&tid=188&tid=137

    > >> Only for DVD drives made prior to the year 2000.
    > >>
    > >> I have one.....but most people wouldn't and most of those would have died a
    > >> long time ago.
    > >>
    > >> I use Linux anyway.....so what Microsoft does doesn't matter either way as
    > >> far as I'm concerned.....but the details of this story make it clear this
    > >> one is no big deal.

    > >For your information, some people reflash their RPC2 drives with RPC1
    > >firmware in order to bypass RPC2 region restrictions.

    > Seems that most of you do not understand the point, you need a RPC2 Drive for
    > Vista to work..

    Seems I do understand and was pointing out that drives made after the
    year 2000 can still be affected by this.
    Rob J, Jan 4, 2006
  18. T'was the Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:45:52 +1300 when I remembered Mr
    Undeniably Sluttish <> saying something like
    this:

    >LOLOL!
    >
    >Nice!

    So hold on, you hate the fact that some people want to protect their
    digital content, but if people circumvent that, you're joyous about
    it?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jan 5, 2006
  19. XP

    Meniscus Guest

    On , , Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:56:51 +1300, Re: Vista what Crap..,
    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    >T'was the Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:45:52 +1300 when I remembered Mr
    >Undeniably Sluttish <> saying something like
    >this:
    >
    >>LOLOL!
    >>
    >>Nice!

    >So hold on, you hate the fact that some people want to protect their
    >digital content, but if people circumvent that, you're joyous about
    >it?

    He has never had an original thought or spend any time writing or
    composing something. Those with any creative ability are always
    the ones that see the sense in protecting their intellectual
    work. Why give it away or allow thieves to make free copies of
    something you have poured your heart and sould into?
    Meniscus, Jan 10, 2006