    with XP or go with Vista.

    My cousin said Vista won't take older programs and I do use some older ones
    (mainly older games).

    Tara Legale, Nov 25, 2007

  2. Tara Legale

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Tara Legale" <> wrote in message
    news:XOm2j.21337$...
    > Why Vista? What change does it bring compared to XP? I see in a few
    > models you can still get a new PC with XP so I'm wondering if I should
    > stick with XP or go with Vista.
    >
    > My cousin said Vista won't take older programs and I do use some older
    > ones (mainly older games).

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=785

    I suggest that you stick with XP or find programs that are compliant to
    Vista technology if you go to Vista. However, Vista does have compatibility
    mode settings like Win 98, Win 2k and XP, etc to run applications meant to
    run on other MS O/S platforms, but that would remain to be seen if the
    applications would run on Vista in your case.

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 26, 2007

  3. Tara Legale

    flambe Guest

    Vista is not unusable it is just hard to use to the point where, if
    possible, don't use it.
    Theoretically Vista is more "secure" than XP.
    Like many theories, unfortunately, there are no facts to support it.
    The reality of Vista is that it is time by your wristwatch slower than XP
    for all disc access operations. Since everything you do on your computer
    requires you to access the hard drive . . . More than any other factor this
    is why Vista should be scrapped. Part of the slowness is also due to the
    incredible code bloat of running background processes.The upcoming SP1 does
    not address this issue as it should.
    The aero interface looks nice but adds nothing to actual use. As Microsoft
    always does with a new OS there are arbitrary changes to the interface that
    make you learn new commands to do the same thing as the older OS in order to
    convince you of the newness of the new OS.
    The User Account Control also slows down everything you do but adds no
    security. It is simply a pop-up that stops your computer and asks you to
    confirm that you want to do something. The pop-up boxes do not tell you if
    what you are going to do is dangerous, e.g. install a virus. Hence most
    people turn it off. It is like having your car ask you if you want to make
    the left turn you are waiting to make without telling you if you are going
    in the right direction, making an illegal turn, etc.
    While the situation is improving some fairly recent hardware has no Vista
    drivers or the Vista drivers are not as functional as XP counterparts. Both
    ATI and Nvidia drivers change frequently.The status of video drivers, along
    with other factors that slow Vista, make it the worst choice possible if hi
    end gaming is a priority for you.
    Many multimedia programs (e.g. video or audio editing) and players do not
    work on Vista or do not work as stably as under XP.
    Networking Vista with XP computers, especially if the XP computers use
    wireless connections, is a nightmare scenario. If your business uses a
    database in a client-server configuaration it may not run on Vista.

    flambe, Nov 27, 2007
  4. Tara Legale

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "flambe" <> wrote in message
    > Vista is not unusable it is just hard to use to the point where, if
    > possible, don't use it.

    I am going to put it to you point blank. I use Vista. I have no problems in
    doing so. It is based on who is doing the driving. I'll agree that if one
    doesn't know how to drive, then he or she shouldn't get behind the wheel.

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=785

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 27, 2007
  5. Tara Legale

    JTJersey Guest

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:59:34 -0500, Mr. Arnold wrote:

    > "flambe" <> wrote in message
    >> Vista is not unusable it is just hard to use to the point where, if
    >> possible, don't use it.

    > I am going to put it to you point blank. I use Vista. I have no problems
    > in doing so. It is based on who is doing the driving. I'll agree that if
    > one doesn't know how to drive, then he or she shouldn't get behind the
    > wheel.
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=785

    Well I guess you better contact John Dvorak and Jim Louderback over at PC
    Magazine. They seem to be having some issues with Vista.

    JTJersey, Nov 28, 2007
  6. Tara Legale

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:59:34 -0500, Mr. Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> "flambe" <> wrote in message
    >>> Vista is not unusable it is just hard to use to the point where, if
    >>> possible, don't use it.

    >> I am going to put it to you point blank. I use Vista. I have no problems
    >> in doing so. It is based on who is doing the driving. I'll agree that if
    >> one doesn't know how to drive, then he or she shouldn't get behind the
    >> wheel.
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=785

    > Well I guess you better contact John Dvorak and Jim Louderback over at PC
    > Magazine. They seem to be having some issues with Vista.

    For what? Opinions are a dime a dozen and everyone has got an opinion.

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 28, 2007
  7. Tara Legale

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    <> scribeth thus

    >"JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:59:34 -0500, Mr. Arnold wrote:
    >>
    >>> "flambe" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I am going to put it to you point blank. I use Vista. I have no problems
    >>> in doing so. It is based on who is doing the driving. I'll agree that if
    >>> one doesn't know how to drive, then he or she shouldn't get behind the
    >>> wheel.
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=785

    >> Well I guess you better contact John Dvorak and Jim Louderback over at PC
    >> Magazine. They seem to be having some issues with Vista.

    >For what? Opinions are a dime a dozen and everyone has got an opinion.

    You work for Microsnot and I claim my Five pounds .. or should that be
    in dicey dollars;!...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Nov 28, 2007
  8. Tara Legale

    Boscoe Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    > <> scribeth thus
    >>
    >>"JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well I guess you better contact John Dvorak and Jim Louderback over at
    >>> PC
    >>> Magazine. They seem to be having some issues with Vista.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2209840,00.asp
    >>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2171472,00.asp
    >>>

    >>For what? Opinions are a dime a dozen and everyone has got an opinion.
    >>>

    > You work for Microsnot and I claim my Five pounds .. or should that be
    > in dicey dollars;!...
    > Tony Sayer

    He could be Bill for all you know? Anyway, it’s not necessarily Microsoft’s
    fault that there aren’t drivers for third party hardware and that millions
    are not sophisticated enough to cope.

    Boscoe, Nov 28, 2007
  9. Tara Legale

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    > <> scribeth thus
    >>
    >>"JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well I guess you better contact John Dvorak and Jim Louderback over at
    >>> PC
    >>> Magazine. They seem to be having some issues with Vista.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2209840,00.asp
    >>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2171472,00.asp
    >>>

    >>For what? Opinions are a dime a dozen and everyone has got an opinion.
    >>>

    > You work for Microsnot and I claim my Five pounds .. or should that be
    > in dicey dollars;!...

    I work for myself and I get paid well to do so. You got problem with MS,
    then you take it up with MS. I am not MS.

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 28, 2007
  10. Tara Legale

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Boscoe" <> wrote in message

    > "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    >> <> scribeth thus
    >>>
    >>>"JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    >>>For what? Opinions are a dime a dozen and everyone has got an opinion.
    >>>>

    >> You work for Microsnot and I claim my Five pounds .. or should that be
    >> in dicey dollars;!...
    >> Tony Sayer
    >>

    > He could be Bill for all you know? Anyway, it's not necessarily
    > Microsoft's fault that there aren't drivers for third party hardware and
    > that millions are not sophisticated enough to cope.

    I am Mr. Arnold that's who I am. And I have been in the IT field since 1971.
    The problems for IT started happening when the dumbass masses started using
    computers. I'll include you in that category, along with the two in the
    links above that are in whine mode. Is there a Pamper and some tissues for
    the issues?

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 28, 2007
  11. Tara Legale

    Boscoe Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    > "Boscoe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    >>> <> scribeth thus

    >>> You work for Microsnot and I claim my Five pounds .. or should that be
    >>> in dicey dollars;!...
    >>> Tony Sayer
    >>>

    >> He could be Bill for all you know? Anyway, it's not necessarily
    >> Microsoft's fault that there aren't drivers for third party hardware and
    >> that millions are not sophisticated enough to cope.
    >>

    > I am Mr. Arnold that's who I am. And I have been in the IT field since
    > 1971. The problems for IT started happening when the dumbass masses
    > started using computers. I'll include you in that category, along with the
    > two in the links above that are in whine mode. Is there a Pamper and some
    > tissues for the issues?

    Well, it's Mr Dumbass meets Mr Meat-Head ... and I wouldn't boast about
    being in IT either, because in this country the government won't accept
    immigrants' with such low-grade skills, which are two-a-penny!! Only
    professionally qualified doctors, vets and lawyers need apply.

    Boscoe, Nov 28, 2007
  12. Tara Legale

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    <> scribeth thus

    >"Boscoe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    >>> <> scribeth thus

    >>> You work for Microsnot and I claim my Five pounds .. or should that be
    >>> in dicey dollars;!...
    >>> Tony Sayer
    >>>

    >> He could be Bill for all you know? Anyway, it's not necessarily
    >> Microsoft's fault that there aren't drivers for third party hardware and
    >> that millions are not sophisticated enough to cope.
    >>

    >I am Mr. Arnold that's who I am. And I have been in the IT field since 1971.
    >The problems for IT started happening when the dumbass masses started using
    >computers. I'll include you in that category, along with the two in the
    >links above that are in whine mode. Is there a Pamper and some tissues for
    >the issues?

    Please yourself but do stay over that side of the pond, theres a good
    chap;)...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Nov 28, 2007
  13. Tara Legale

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    <> scribeth thus

    >"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    >> <> scribeth thus
    >>>
    >>>"JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    >>>For what? Opinions are a dime a dozen and everyone has got an opinion.
    >>>>

    >> You work for Microsnot and I claim my Five pounds .. or should that be
    >> in dicey dollars;!...

    >I work for myself and I get paid well to do so. You got problem with MS,
    >then you take it up with MS. I am not MS.

    Gawd don't these yanks take themselves sooo very seriously;)..
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Nov 28, 2007
  14. Tara Legale

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Boscoe" <> wrote in message

    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Boscoe" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "tony sayer" <> wrote in message

    >>> He could be Bill for all you know? Anyway, it's not necessarily
    >>> Microsoft's fault that there aren't drivers for third party hardware and
    >>> that millions are not sophisticated enough to cope.
    >>>

    >> I am Mr. Arnold that's who I am. And I have been in the IT field since
    >> 1971. The problems for IT started happening when the dumbass masses
    >> started using computers. I'll include you in that category, along with
    >> the two in the links above that are in whine mode. Is there a Pamper and
    >> some tissues for the issues?
    >>

    > Well, it's Mr Dumbass meets Mr Meat-Head ... and I wouldn't boast about
    > being in IT either, because in this country the government won't accept
    > immigrants' with such low-grade skills, which are two-a-penny!! Only
    > professionally qualified doctors, vets and lawyers need apply.

    Yeah, you're none of that now are you. What country is your dumbass from?
    What should have happened to your dumbass is that the lawyer should have had
    your mama sign the papers so that vet/doctor could have strangled your
    dumbass at birth with your own placenta.

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 28, 2007
  15. Tara Legale

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    > <> scribeth thus
    >>
    >>"Boscoe" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "tony sayer" <> wrote in message

    >>> He could be Bill for all you know? Anyway, it's not necessarily
    >>> Microsoft's fault that there aren't drivers for third party hardware and
    >>> that millions are not sophisticated enough to cope.
    >>>

    >>I am Mr. Arnold that's who I am. And I have been in the IT field since
    >>1971.
    >>The problems for IT started happening when the dumbass masses started
    >>using
    >>computers. I'll include you in that category, along with the two in the
    >>links above that are in whine mode. Is there a Pamper and some tissues for
    >>the issues?
    >>

    > Please yourself but do stay over that side of the pond, theres a good
    > chap;)...

    Damn the pond bullshit, because whatever country you're in, a bomb needs to
    be dropped on the POS before I'll step foot in it. And with the words *chap*
    and *pounds*, I know what country you're from, and there should be a bomb
    dropped to take out every last one of you SOB(s).

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 28, 2007
  16. Tara Legale

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    > <> scribeth thus
    >>
    >>"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    >>> <> scribeth thus

    >>> You work for Microsnot and I claim my Five pounds .. or should that be
    >>> in dicey dollars;!...

    >>I work for myself and I get paid well to do so. You got problem with MS,
    >>then you take it up with MS. I am not MS.
    >>

    > Gawd don't these yanks take themselves sooo very seriously;)..

    What, the yank that yanked your mama's chain and bent her knee caps in the
    mattress? And then she had you.

    You want to play? We'll play the game partner. You may not like the game
    after I dog your ass out and your whole damn family, but we can play the
    game.

    <VBG>

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 28, 2007
  17. Tara Legale

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Boscoe" <> wrote in message news:Jwj3j.54625

    > Well, it's Mr Dumbass meets Mr Meat-Head ... and I wouldn't boast about
    > being in IT either, because in this country the government won't accept
    > immigrants' with such low-grade skills, which are two-a-penny!! Only
    > professionally qualified doctors, vets and lawyers need apply.

    One other thing you dumbass, professionally qualified doctors, vets and
    lawyers applied all right, that your dumbass country couldn't screen and
    tried to terror bomb that POS. They should have gotten your ass first, with
    the tea cup at your lips and muffin in your hand.

    At least I would have had the sense to bomb your ass from the Middle East
    loooong distance, while your ass was in bed with it being done painlessly
    and cleanly. You know like 007 would do it. They are not through over there.
    You can count on it. And it's fucked that your own people in your own damn
    country such as yourself, can't even qualify for such jobs and you got to
    farm it out -- pathetic <g>

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 29, 2007
  18. Tara Legale

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    <> scribeth thus

    >"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    >> <> scribeth thus
    >>>
    >>>"Boscoe" <> wrote in message

    >>>I am Mr. Arnold that's who I am. And I have been in the IT field since
    >>>1971.
    >>>The problems for IT started happening when the dumbass masses started
    >>>using
    >>>computers. I'll include you in that category, along with the two in the
    >>>links above that are in whine mode. Is there a Pamper and some tissues for
    >>>the issues?
    >>>

    >> Please yourself but do stay over that side of the pond, theres a good
    >> chap;)...

    >Damn the pond bullshit, because whatever country you're in, a bomb needs to
    >be dropped on the POS before I'll step foot in it. And with the words *chap*
    >and *pounds*, I know what country you're from, and there should be a bomb
    >dropped to take out every last one of you SOB(s).

    Another one of them who's never set foot outside the state line let
    alone the country;!..

    In the killfile you go:)...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Nov 29, 2007
  19. Tara Legale

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    > <> scribeth thus
    >>
    >>"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <>, Mr. Arnold
    >>> <> scribeth thus

    >>> Please yourself but do stay over that side of the pond, theres a good
    >>> chap;)...

    >>Damn the pond bullshit, because whatever country you're in, a bomb needs
    >>be dropped on the POS before I'll step foot in it. And with the words
    >>*chap*
    >>and *pounds*, I know what country you're from, and there should be a bomb
    >>dropped to take out every last one of you SOB(s).
    >>

    > Another one of them who's never set foot outside the state line let
    > alone the country;!..
    >
    > In the killfile you go:)...

    Why should I leave? Your mama told me all about fucked England when I dicked
    her on her last visit to the States.
    BTW, she told me not to tell you, but she said she wished she had never had
    you, --- just FYI.

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 29, 2007
  20. Tara Legale

    HLS Guest

    > Why Vista? What change does it bring compared to XP? I see in a few
    > models you can still get a new PC with XP so I'm wondering if I should
    > stick with XP or go with Vista.
    >
    > My cousin said Vista won't take older programs and I do use some older
    > ones (mainly older games).

    There is a lot of older software that is not compatible with Vista.
    Supposedly Vista can
    operate in a compatibility mode so that you can use some of your older
    things, but do
    not count on it working. It doesnt always.

    Worse, some of your older peripherals, like digital cameras, printers, and
    scanners may
    not work on Vista. The drivers are not available on some of them, and
    unless you can find a workable driver, you are out of business. You will
    have to buy new items when the worst case happens.

    Vista is not as intuitive as we would have hoped, many of us having
    experienced all the previous versions of Windows. It is sometimes
    irritating, sometimes downright exasperating.

    And sometimes,when you buy a new computer with Vista installed, you cannot
    downgrade
    to XP or 2000. Not always but sometimes. (My HP/Compaq is one of these
    that cannot
    be returned to XP) Again, if the drivers dont exist, you are stuck with
    Vista.

    I have pulled my old computer out of the junkpile and got it repaired and
    ready to go back
    to earlier Windows variants.

    I may run Linux Ubuntu on the new Compaq. If all else fails, I may have to
    buy an Apple,
    although I am now even suspicious of them and their toasty cosy relationship
    with Intel and Microsoft.

    HLS, Nov 29, 2007