    if I need to format? I,ll have no proof of my original Xp installation.
    Before the upgrade disc would ask you for the original win 95/98 disc as
    proof.

    Tristan Goe, Jan 29, 2007

  2. Tristan Goe

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Tristan Goe.

    In <news:45bde3e2$> you wrote:

    > I have a Packard Bell laptop which came with XP SP2 pre-installed. It has no
    > Windows disk with it, the files are on a hidden partition on the HDD.
    > So technically I can install an upgrade CD over my Win XP, but what happens
    > if I need to format? I,ll have no proof of my original Xp installation.
    > Before the upgrade disc would ask you for the original win 95/98 disc as
    > proof.

    It might check the hidden partition. Failing that recover XP first then
    upgrade (sic) to Vista.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jan 29, 2007

  3. Tristan Goe

    Clogwog Guest

    Tristan Goe wrote:
    > I have a Packard Bell laptop which came with XP SP2 pre-installed. It
    > has no Windows disk with it, the files are on a hidden partition on
    > the HDD. So technically I can install an upgrade CD over my Win XP, but
    > what
    > happens if I need to format? I,ll have no proof of my original Xp
    > installation. Before the upgrade disc would ask you for the original
    > win 95/98 disc as proof.

    Get diskimaging software, Acronis true image is the best! Acronis True Image
    10 Supports Microsoft Windows Vista.
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    Clogwog, Jan 29, 2007
  4. "Clogwog" <> wrote in

    > Tristan Goe wrote:
    >> I have a Packard Bell laptop which came with XP SP2 pre-installed. It
    >> has no Windows disk with it, the files are on a hidden partition on
    >> the HDD. So technically I can install an upgrade CD over my Win XP, but
    >> what
    >> happens if I need to format? I,ll have no proof of my original Xp
    >> installation. Before the upgrade disc would ask you for the original
    >> win 95/98 disc as proof.

    > Get diskimaging software, Acronis true image is the best! Acronis True
    > Image 10 Supports Microsoft Windows Vista.
    > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    Yeah, Einstein - but it don't do MAC's.

    --

    I'd like to see one of those nude operas!
    Because when they hit on the high notes,

    Bucky Breeder, Jan 29, 2007
  5. Tristan Goe

    Clogwog Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:
    > "Clogwog" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Tristan Goe wrote:
    >>> I have a Packard Bell laptop which came with XP SP2 pre-installed.
    >>> It has no Windows disk with it, the files are on a hidden partition
    >>> on the HDD. So technically I can install an upgrade CD over my Win
    >>> XP, but what
    >>> happens if I need to format? I,ll have no proof of my original Xp
    >>> installation. Before the upgrade disc would ask you for the original
    >>> win 95/98 disc as proof.

    >> Get diskimaging software, Acronis true image is the best! Acronis
    >> True Image 10 Supports Microsoft Windows Vista.
    >> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    > Yeah, Einstein - but it don't do MAC's.

    A mac is for la-de-dah poofters like you. I don't expect Acronis wants
    anything to do with them!
    So genius, *M* ake *A* *C* hange
    LMFAO @ you & GFIA!

    Clogwog, Jan 29, 2007
  6. "Clogwog" <> wrote in

    > Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >> "Clogwog" <> wrote in

    >>> Get diskimaging software, Acronis true image is the best! Acronis
    >>> True Image 10 Supports Microsoft Windows Vista.
    >>> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    >> Yeah, Einstein - but it don't do MAC's.

    > A mac is for la-de-dah poofters like you.
    > I don't expect Acronis wants anything to
    > do with them!
    > So genius, *M* ake *A* *C* hange
    > LMFAO @ you & GFIA!

    Thanks, Hillary!

    Well then, I guess I won't be buying a MAC,
    at least anytime soon.

    If it wasn't for Gaylords like you
    who wanna-be Consumer-Reports-Rockettes,
    I might have spent too much money
    and not be able to fluster my clusters
    with Acronis' latest dry-humper.

    MAC'll just have to get along without me.
    And Acronis too.

    ( *Their* loss! )

    I'll have to keep spending my money
    on cheep booze and fine women - and Taco Bell.

    Bucky Breeder, Jan 29, 2007
  7. Then create a Windows XP Recovery Disc first before installing the Vista Upgrade... or better yet, when installing Vista, enable it to retain the older computer settings in case you need to revert back.

    Warmest Regards,
    Dan

    Daniel Anderson, Jan 30, 2007
  8. Tristan Goe

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Pronog the blancmange-misleader.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    >> It might check the hidden partition.

    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! LMAO @ you.

    We can live in hope ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jan 30, 2007
  9. Tristan Goe

    Ponder Guest

    Ponder, Jan 30, 2007
  10. Tristan Goe

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Bucky Breeder.

    In <news:Xns98C853DFF2CB7WeeZurD@216.151.153.21> you wrote:

    >>> Yeah, Einstein - but it don't do MAC's.

    >> MAC's what?

    > LOL! MAC's RC2 of Vista, of course! (o:

    <G>

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jan 31, 2007
  11. On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 01:08:46 +0000, Ponder wrote:

    > Hiya Pronog the blancmange-misleader.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >>> It might check the hidden partition.

    >> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! LMAO @ you.

    > We can live in hope ;)

    Well here are somethings about Vista upgrade from XP.
    According to comments on vista.general:-

    1] "To use an upgrade version of Vista , you will have to install XP first
    and then install the Vista upgrade from XP. **Once you use XP for the
    Vista upgrade, you lose all rights to use that XP again even if you decide
    you don't like Vista and want to go back to Windows XP, and this will be
    enforced by WGA(N) or SPAA.**"

    2] "You won't be able to dual-boot an upgrade version of Vista with the
    original XP you are upgrading from. Vista sets up by moving your old data
    etc to a folder, then formats your hard-drive and installs a Vista image,
    thus destroying your XP partition."

    Frankly I'm not surprised if they're true, after all M$ are not averse to
    making people do what *they* want & the hell with the customer.

    --
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster
    than any invention in human history, installing

    William Poaster, Jan 31, 2007
  12. Tristan Goe

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya William Poaster.

    In <news:p> you wrote:

    [Snip]
    > Frankly I'm not surprised if they're true, after all M$ are not averse to
    > making people do what *they* want & the hell with the customer.

    Yet another reason not to fork out 150 UKP to fix a perfectly functional
    system. Yes, that's almost double the dollar - sterling conversion. Once
    again we're being ripped off, probably because of all the trouble Brussels
    has caused M$ ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jan 31, 2007
  13. On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:38:44 +0000, Ponder wrote:

    > Hiya William Poaster.
    >
    > In <news:p> you wrote:
    >
    > [Snip]
    >> Frankly I'm not surprised if they're true, after all M$ are not averse
    >> to making people do what *they* want & the hell with the customer.

    > Yet another reason not to fork out 150 UKP to fix a perfectly functional
    > system. Yes, that's almost double the dollar - sterling conversion. Once
    > again we're being ripped off, probably because of all the trouble Brussels
    > has caused M$ ;)

    "Microsoft's latest operating system, due for release tomorrow, is
    defective by design, putting Microsoft and the corporate media in control
    of your computer. Beneath the gloss they have hidden traps that take away
    important consumer rights, force expensive and environmentally damaging
    hardware upgrades."
    http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851

    William Poaster, Feb 1, 2007
  14. Tristan Goe

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya William Poaster.

    In <news:p> you wrote:

    > "Microsoft's latest operating system, due for release tomorrow, is
    > defective by design, putting Microsoft and the corporate media in control
    > of your computer. Beneath the gloss they have hidden traps that take away

    [Snip]

    You're preaching to the converted ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Feb 1, 2007
  15. Tristan Goe

    83LowRider Guest

    "Tristan Goe" wrote
    >I have a Packard Bell laptop which came with XP SP2 pre-installed. It has
    >no
    > Windows disk with it, the files are on a hidden partition on the HDD.
    > So technically I can install an upgrade CD over my Win XP, but what
    > happens
    > if I need to format? I,ll have no proof of my original Xp installation.
    > Before the upgrade disc would ask you for the original win 95/98 disc as
    > proof.

    I found this on someones webpage..

    Microsoft internal documentation reveals workaround for Vista
    Upgrade DVDs with no need for a previous version of Windows

    Just when everyone thought that all hope was lost when it comes
    to performing a clean install with a Windows Vista Upgrade DVD,
    a gleam of light can now be seen at the end of the tunnel. A new
    workaround proposed by Paul Thurrott (via Microsoft internal documents)
    has been confirmed to work by DailyTech.

    We reported on Monday that Microsoft doesn't perform disc checking
    anymore during an operating system install. In the past, when performing
    a clean install, a user could boot from an install CD and insert a disc
    from a previous version of Windows for upgrade compliance.

    Per Microsoft's new licensing requirements for Vista, users are required
    to install a Windows Vista Upgrade from within Windows XP. When this occurs,
    the Windows XP license is forfeited and the Windows Vista installation
    process can take place.

    Now, however, this workaround allows users to perform a "clean install."
    The process is a bit tedious, but is not hard at all to complete. Users
    have to perform these simple steps to perform a clean install of Vista
    without a previous version of Windows installed with an upgrade DVD:

    1. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.
    2. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next"
    and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.
    3. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and
    continue with setup.
    4. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop
    for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
    5. This time, type in your product key when prompted.
    6. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install,
    choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this
    means
    that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
    7. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to
    activate
    Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which
    contains information from the first Vista install.

    There's no telling why Microsoft left this loophole wide open with Windows
    Vista
    Upgrade DVDs, but this means that any retail upgrade DVD can be used as a
    fully
    functioning full retail copy of Vista.

    83LowRider, Feb 1, 2007
  16. I dont like their hamburgers either!!!

    Bolivar
    "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns98C853DFF2CB7WeeZurD@216.151.153.21...

    Bob F Smith III, Feb 1, 2007