Vista upgrade invalidates your XP key

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mathew Good, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    From Vista’s EULA found

    13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is
    eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the
    software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

    Mathew Good, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Mathew Good

    none Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:
    > From Vista’s EULA found
    >
    > 13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is
    > eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the
    > software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

    Makes sense.

    none, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Mathew Good

    whome Guest

    "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    > From Vista's EULA found
    >
    > 13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the
    > software that is
    > eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of
    > the agreement for the
    > software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the
    > software you upgraded from.

    Well, it is an upgrade after all.

    You could of course buy a full standalone version and install that. Then ,
    you can use your old version if you like.

    whome, Jan 30, 2007
  4. Mathew Good

    impossible Guest

    > From Vista's EULA found
    >
    > 13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed
    > for the software that is
    > eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the
    > place of the agreement for the
    > software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use
    > the software you upgraded from.

    Accurate quote, but stripped out of context, so misleading header.
    After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded
    from **on the same machine** -- so no dual-booting XP and Vista.

    However the XP license can be assigned to another device or
    transferred to a third party.

    15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
    a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may uninstall the
    software and
    install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share
    this license between
    devices.

    16. TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY.
    a. Software Other Than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the
    software may
    make a one time transfer of the software, and this agreement, directly
    to a third party. The first
    user must uninstall the software before transferring it separately
    from the device. The first user
    may not retain any copies.

    b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. You may transfer the software
    directly to a third
    party only with the licensed device. You may not keep any copies of
    the software or any earlier
    version.

    c. Other Requirements. Before any permitted transfer, the other party
    must agree that this
    agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The
    transfer must include the proof
    of license.

    It's probably best to read the complete license agreement:

    http://download.microsoft.com/docum...lish_36d0fe99-75e4-4875-8153-889cf5105718.pdf

    impossible, Jan 30, 2007
  5. Mathew Good

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:04:45 -0500, "impossible" <>
    exclaimed:

    >Accurate quote, but stripped out of context, so misleading header.
    >After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded
    >from **on the same machine** -- so no dual-booting XP and Vista.
    >
    >However the XP license can be assigned to another device or
    >transferred to a third party.

    I hope you are not implying that you can buy an upgrade of XP to
    Vista, then run each on a different computer? If so, you are incorrect
    - an upgrade replaces the original license, and you can no longer use
    the original license.

    This is standard stuff, and has always been the case. You are paying
    to upgrade the original software, and the upgrade is treated as an
    add-on. You cannot then go and sell the original.

    --
    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Fred Dagg, Jan 30, 2007
  6. Mathew Good

    impossible Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:04:45 -0500, "impossible"
    > <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>Accurate quote, but stripped out of context, so misleading header.
    >>After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded
    >>from **on the same machine** -- so no dual-booting XP and Vista.
    >>
    >>However the XP license can be assigned to another device or
    >>transferred to a third party.

    > I hope you are not implying that you can buy an upgrade of XP to
    > Vista, then run each on a different computer? If so, you are
    > incorrect
    > - an upgrade replaces the original license, and you can no longer
    > use
    > the original license.
    >
    > This is standard stuff, and has always been the case. You are paying
    > to upgrade the original software, and the upgrade is treated as an
    > add-on. You cannot then go and sell the original.

    You're right. My mistake.

    impossible, Jan 30, 2007
  7. Mathew Good

    none Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> Makes sense.

    > .. just not much to normal people. :)

    I don't like MS at all, I run Linux at work, Mac OS at home.

    But the principle here is basic sense.

    If you trade in a car, you don't get a discounted price and the ability
    to keep your old vehicle.

    none, Jan 31, 2007

    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 31, 2007
  9. Mathew Good

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:42:07 -0500, "impossible" <>
    exclaimed:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:04:45 -0500, "impossible"
    >> <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>Accurate quote, but stripped out of context, so misleading header.
    >>>After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded
    >>>from **on the same machine** -- so no dual-booting XP and Vista.
    >>>
    >>>However the XP license can be assigned to another device or
    >>>transferred to a third party.

    >> I hope you are not implying that you can buy an upgrade of XP to
    >> Vista, then run each on a different computer? If so, you are
    >> incorrect
    >> - an upgrade replaces the original license, and you can no longer
    >> use
    >> the original license.
    >>
    >> This is standard stuff, and has always been the case. You are paying
    >> to upgrade the original software, and the upgrade is treated as an
    >> add-on. You cannot then go and sell the original.
    >>

    >You're right. My mistake.

    No worries - it's actually a common misconception for a lot of
    software.

    A lot of people upgraded to XP, then sold their original licenses on
    TradeMe. Most got away with it, although the nasties at the BSA did
    catch up with a few, apparently.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 31, 2007
  10. Mathew Good

    Rob Guest

    > From Vista's EULA found
    >
    > 13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the
    > software that is
    > eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of
    > the agreement for the
    > software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the
    > software you upgraded from.

    If you upgrade from win 2000, you would still be able to use win 2000, even
    on another computer, as it doesn't require authentication like XP does.

    Rob, Jan 31, 2007
  11. "none" <> wrote in message
    > Mathew Good wrote:
    >> From Vista’s EULA found
    >>
    >> 13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the
    >> software that is
    >> eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of
    >> the agreement for the
    >> software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the
    >> software you upgraded from.

    > Makes sense.

    Not if it's a corporate key, wouldn't that invalidate possibly thousands of
    machines in terms of updates etc?

    J&H.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Jan 31, 2007
  12. Mathew Good

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message

    > "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> From Vista's EULA found
    >>
    >> 13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the
    >> software that is
    >> eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of
    >> the agreement for the
    >> software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the
    >> software you upgraded from.
    >>

    > Well, it is an upgrade after all.
    >
    > You could of course buy a full standalone version and install that. Then ,
    > you can use your old version if you like.

    The fool doesn't have to upgrade, then he wouldn't have to worry about not
    being able to use Windows 98 any more.

    Yes, I know he's talking about upgrading from XP... BUT it wasn't all
    that long ago that he was hanging onto his Windows 98 with grim death while
    claiming that XP is a pile a crap.

    And now he can't wait to upgrade to Vista but still wants to use XP instead.
    LOL
    He should go off to New World to get himself an apple.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 31, 2007
  13. Mathew Good

    Chris Hope Guest

    *sling wrote:

    [snip]

    >> Well, it is an upgrade after all.
    >>
    >> You could of course buy a full standalone version and install that.
    >> Then , you can use your old version if you like.

    > The fool doesn't have to upgrade, then he wouldn't have to worry about
    > not being able to use Windows 98 any more.
    >
    > Yes, I know he's talking about upgrading from XP... BUT it wasn't
    > all that long ago that he was hanging onto his Windows 98 with grim
    > death while claiming that XP is a pile a crap.
    >
    > And now he can't wait to upgrade to Vista

    I thought he's been making posts saying Vista is crapTM and no one
    should buy it / upgrade to it?

    Chris Hope, Jan 31, 2007
  14. Mathew Good

    Phil Guest

    Mathew Good wrote, On 31/01/07 11.34 a:
    > From Vista’s EULA found
    >
    > 13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is
    > eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the
    > software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

    Activation in XP was alright since their policies were pretty lax on it,
    but with Vista, Microsoft just keeps on making piracy seem more and more
    attractive.

    -Phil

    Phil, Jan 31, 2007
  15. Mathew Good

    Enkidu Guest

    Jekyll and Hyde wrote:
    > "none" <> wrote in message
    >> Mathew Good wrote:
    >>> From Vista’s EULA found
    >>>
    >>> 13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the
    >>> software that is
    >>> eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of
    >>> the agreement for the
    >>> software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the
    >>> software you upgraded from.

    >> Makes sense.

    > Not if it's a corporate key, wouldn't that invalidate possibly thousands of
    > machines in terms of updates etc?

    I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a 'corporate key'. But anyway,
    the key is only checked when you install the OS.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jan 31, 2007
  16. Mathew Good

    Richard Guest

    none wrote:
    > Mathew Good wrote:
    >> From Vista’s EULA found
    >>
    >> 13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is
    >> eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the
    >> software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

    > Makes sense.

    Not really, if I sell the PC I was using it on, the purchaser has no way
    to know that the key stuck to it is no longer valid, and if I want to
    use my vista upgrade on another computer I dont see why I should not be
    able to since I no longer have it installed on the PC I just got rid of.

    Seems totally unfair to me. The only time that the XP key should not be
    valid is _while_ it is being used as the key that vista was upgraded from.

    Richard, Jan 31, 2007
  17. Mathew Good

    Richard Guest

    Jekyll and Hyde wrote:

    > Not if it's a corporate key, wouldn't that invalidate possibly thousands of
    > machines in terms of updates etc?

    Corporate installs typically still have an oem key on the hardware, they
    just dont use it when installing stuff. I dont even know if corporate
    keys will work with the upgrade.

    Richard, Jan 31, 2007
  18. Mathew Good

    Dave Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Jekyll and Hyde wrote:
    >> "none" <> wrote in message

    >>> Makes sense.

    >> Not if it's a corporate key, wouldn't that invalidate possibly
    >> thousands of machines in terms of updates etc?
    >>

    > I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a 'corporate key'. But
    > anyway, the key is only checked when you install the OS.

    There is. I think it's officially called a Volume License Key obtained under
    a Volume License Agreement. Aka a 'corporate key'/volume license/volume key
    etc. It's aimed at larger organisations.

    Dave, Jan 31, 2007
  19. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:44:22 -0000, "Dave" <> wrote:

    >Enkidu wrote:
    >> Jekyll and Hyde wrote:
    >>> "none" <> wrote in message

    >>> Not if it's a corporate key, wouldn't that invalidate possibly
    >>> thousands of machines in terms of updates etc?
    >>>

    >> I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a 'corporate key'. But
    >> anyway, the key is only checked when you install the OS.

    >There is. I think it's officially called a Volume License Key obtained under
    >a Volume License Agreement. Aka a 'corporate key'/volume license/volume key
    >etc. It's aimed at larger organisations.

    Volume License Keys and no longer used with Vista any version that all have to be activated..

    Mathew Good, Jan 31, 2007
  20. Mathew Good

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 00:41:55 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair)
    exclaimed:

    >>> .. just not much to normal people. :)

    >>I don't like MS at all, I run Linux at work, Mac OS at home.
    >>
    >>But the principle here is basic sense.
    >>
    >>If you trade in a car, you don't get a discounted price and the ability
    >>to keep your old vehicle.

    >Say rather the principle is I upgrade my car with overhead fox nipples ...
    >and my car no longer works :)

    Yes it does. Your car works fine with the fox nipples. However by
    buying the fox nipples you don't get a new car with nipples AND your
    old car.

    >I'm not trading anything in at all ... or if I am, maybe they actually need
    >to be a bit honest about what they are, in fact selling/providing for the
    >money ? :)

    They are honest. They are selling you an upgrade - you are trading
    your current version and a bit of dosh for the new version.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 31, 2007