    All it does is spin the HD fast, until the machine is switched off.

    Any ideas?

    Thnaks

    t8769, Apr 27, 2008

  2. t8769

    olfart Guest

    "t8769" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just updated Vista.. and now the HD has gone nuts
    >
    > The HD just spins very fast, making lots of noise.
    >

    > The PC was fine before that.. but after the Vista upgrade, the PC
    > does
    > not recognise the screen, the keyboard or the CD drive.
    >

    > All it does is spin the HD fast, until the machine is switched off.
    >

    > Any ideas?
    >

    > Thnaks

    thanks to Bill Gates...You're Screwed

    See what happens in Safe Mode

    olfart, Apr 27, 2008

  3. t8769

    t8769 Guest

    Can't go to safe mode.. keyboard not recognised, keys do nothing...

    t8769, Apr 27, 2008
  4. t8769

    Steven Guest

    I guess you people never learn - Vista is CRAPWARE!

    Steve

    Steven, Apr 28, 2008
  5. t8769

    Guest

    On Apr 27, 4:49 pm, t8769 <> wrote:
    > Just updated Vista.. and now the HD has gone nuts
    >
    > The HD just spins very fast, making lots of noise.
    >
    > The PC was fine before that.. but after the Vista upgrade, the PC
    > does
    > not recognise the screen, the keyboard or the CD drive.
    >
    > All it does is spin the HD fast, until the machine is switched off.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thnaks

    Vista itself should not be capable of destroying a HDD. Worst case it
    caused such a load that the HDD broke. But if a HDD can't handle the
    load any OS sends it then it is junk.

    But the situation you describe seems to me like the computer is not
    even POSTing (Power On Self Test, where it beeps once usually and
    shows you some system information). Do you get any BIOS screens?

    If indeed the HDD is broken, it is possible that it is keeping the
    motherboard from POSTing. Unplug the HDD data and power cables and
    see what happens. If it POSTs, then you should try running a Linux
    Live CD or some other bootable CD to see if everything is working
    normally.

    If disconnecting the HDD didn't fix anything, then my next guess is
    power supply problems. From there we move on to motherboard, then
    RAM, and then processor. Of course it could be any one of those, or
    video card, or anything that is connected to the motherboard.
    Basically you want to strip down the motherboard until it POSTs (will
    need power supply, RAM, and processor), and then add components one by
    one until it doesn't. Then you know what's bad.

    Let us know...

    Aaron

    , Apr 28, 2008
  6. t8769

    t8769 Guest

    Thanks Aaron

    Useful information (as always thhere are always idiots who post
    messages about how bad Vista is, without having anything else useful
    to say).

    I assumed it was something to do with the upgrade, as this happened
    immediately after I updated Windows then restarted - quite a co-
    incidence, but I know these do happen sometimes..

    Thanks

    t8769, Apr 28, 2008
  7. t8769

    t8769 Guest

    After a long conversatin with Dell, it seems that the motherboard's
    shot...

    Oh well

    t8769, Apr 28, 2008
  8. t8769