    2x2mb corsair 800mhz ddr2
    xfx geforce 8800gt 512 mb

    thanks for the help

    boss302, Feb 21, 2008

  2. boss302

    Chris S. Guest

    32-bit versions of XP can only be upgraded to 32-bit versions of Windows
    Vista. And Windows XP Professional x64 Edition can only be upgraded to
    64-bit ...

    Chris

    Chris S., Feb 21, 2008

  3. boss302

    Mark Guest

    Make sure your BIOS is absolutely up to the latest rev.
    If your mobo has onboard video, try removing the 8800gt and installing
    without it.
    Try removing the second hard drive.
    Turn off the SLI functions in your BIOS.
    And, if you can, install with only 2GB of ram.

    Install with updates turned off.
    Put it all back in when you're done.
    Update all hardware drivers.
    Then, get windows updates.

    Once installed, it will work great.

    Mark, Feb 21, 2008
  4. boss302

    Chris S. Guest

    I repeat...

    32-bit versions of XP can only be upgraded to 32-bit versions of Windows
    Vista. And Windows XP Professional x64 Edition can only be upgraded to
    64-bit ...

    <sigh>

    Chris

    Chris S., Feb 21, 2008
  5. boss302

    Mark Guest

    Not.

    A good review of this article is important:
    Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on a computer that is running a
    32-bit version of Windows XP or of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/

    Mark, Feb 21, 2008
  6. boss302

    Chris S. Guest

    He specifically said "upgrade". Not possible. Sure Backup and Restore can be
    used.
    An In place "upgrade" from xp 32 cannot be done.

    Chris S., Feb 21, 2008
  7. boss302

    Mark Guest

    For these operating systems, there is no _upgrade_ installation path
    available when you upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit
    operating system. However, you can perform a custom installation that uses
    an _upgrade_ license when going from XP Pro 32-bit to Vista x64..

    Call it what you want. If I use an upgrade license, it's an upgrade path and
    specific instructions for this "non-path" are on the MS aritcle I referred
    to.

    Mark, Feb 21, 2008
  8. boss302

    Chris S. Guest

    True, Mark. I think semantics are getting in our way! ;-)
    The OP posted from a CDO Forum and probably didn't
    see our comments anyway!

    Chris

    Chris S., Feb 21, 2008
  9. boss302

    Mark Guest

    And, I repeat...
    Per your description: "I'm installing xp pro w/sp2 x32 then upgrading to
    vista x64."
    Follow the instructions on the MS KB article to "upgrade" from 32-bit XP to
    64-bit Vista.
    (It's a legal "clean" install with an upgrade disk, but is the only approved
    path from 32-bit to 64-bit with an upgrade disk license.)
    The other steps listed below will overcome installation problems others have
    run into with x64 installation.

    Mark, Feb 21, 2008
  10. boss302

    Mark Guest

    :)

    Good point!

    Mark, Feb 21, 2008
  11. boss302

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Boss.

    > I'm installing xp pro w/sp2 x32 then upgrading to vista x64.

    I guess this depends on what the meaning of "upgrading" is, to paraphrase a
    former president. We're not talking about the upgrade license, of course,
    but the actual installation of Vista x64 on a computer with WinXP 32-bit
    installed.

    We can't perform an upgrade from a 32-bit anything to a 64-bit anything by
    booting into the 32-bit platform and then running the 64-bit Setup program
    because the architecture is too different.

    Note these key lines from KB article 932795, which Mark cited:
    "Note You must start Windows Vista Setup by starting the computer from the
    Windows Vista 64-bit DVD. The installation package will not run on a 32-bit
    operating system.
    "4. When you are prompted during Windows Vista Setup, remember to select
    Custom as the installation type."

    The Custom install is essentially a "clean install", which will reformat the
    32-bit WinXP boot volume and install 64-bit Vista there. This is an
    "upgrade" in the sense that the old OS will be wiped out and replaced with
    the new one. But it does not carry forward any applications or settings or
    data from the former installation, so it is NOT an "upgrade" in that sense.
    As the KB article says, you must first backup any data that you don't want
    to lose and, after the "upgrade", re-install all your applications and
    restore your data.

    > Things go well until the first system restart (the first time it boots
    > from
    > hd) then I get a stop error message 0x0000007e. I've tried updating sata
    > controllers, but it didn't help.

    Stop 0x7e can have many causes, as listed in
    http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php, among other places. The SATA drivers are
    likely suspects, but you've already checked those. My own system has an
    nVidia 570sli chipset and runs my SATA drives with Vista's on-disk drivers,
    so I don't really think that's your problem.

    My system also handled my recent upgrade from 2 GB to 4 GB of PC6400 RAM
    without a whimper, but there have been several posts here about problems
    when populating all 4 GB on some mobos. You might try removing 2 GB (or
    reducing the 800 MHz speed) until after Vista x64 is up and running, and
    then install the other 2 GB and see what happens.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 21, 2008
  12. That is almost certainly the resolution.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 21, 2008
  13. boss302

    boss302 Guest

    sorry for the confusion. I just built the system. The only reason xp is
    even on it is because i have the "upgrade" license. The problem's occuring
    while trying a clean install--booting from the x64 dvd. thanks for the
    ideas; i'll look over the articles and make sure the bios is updated, and
    i'll pull cards if that doesn't work.

    Thanks all!

    boss302, Feb 21, 2008
  14. Install with only one of the 2GB dimms installed and see what happens.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 21, 2008
  15. boss302

    panth0r

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Hey guys, sorry to interrupt, but I was having the same trouble and stumbled on this forum. Wasn't sure if a new thread would be appropriate.

    Anyway, I have a and EVGA 780i SLi mobo, an 8800 GTS and 2x2GB memory. I removed 1 2GB stick of memory (as suggested, and thank you very much) and was able to go through the installation process smoothly; however, when replacing the second stick, the message resumes upon booting into Windows (Vista Business x64). My BIOS is up-to-date and the only thing that I change that makes the computer unable to boot is the addition of that second stick. I'd appreciate any help you could offer and thank you all for what you've offered so far.

    panth0r, Feb 24, 2008
  16. boss302

    panth0r

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Hello again!

    I found the solution (at least to the problem I was having).

    Like I said, I was able to install Vista Business x64 with only 2GB of memory, then when replacing the second stick, the error returned. I installed an updated (KB929777) and all works well now. Hope this helps Boss and anyone else to stumble over this topic like I did. And thank everyone who helped Boss!

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

    panth0r, Feb 24, 2008