    prepared to spend £300+ to get a license for something i already have.

    Perhaps its too much to hope for, but if someone from or representing
    Microsoft could give me any information on what to do that would be good.
    Rob Hague, Jan 10, 2008

  2. There really isn't anything you can do, except buy a copy of Vista Ultimate.
    OEM licenses are architecture specific. They do not include the right to
    change architectures. You can buy an OEM copy of Vista Ultimate 64-bit,
    since you don't need 32-bit. Or you can buy retail.

    Many OEMs have been flexible with their buyers on this, allowing a swap out.
    But not all. And I'd be VERY concerned about installing 64-bit onto a
    machine that didn't have it as a shipping option. Make very sure that OEM
    provides 64-bit drivers for everything.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64