    all the ram and it works fine.

    I thought Ultimate 64 supported 128gb?

    Does anyone know how i might fix this,
    =?Utf-8?B?YnJldA==?=, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Sounds like your BIOS needs to do some address rearranging. The problem is
    that various cards and components reserve addresses in the range between 3GB
    and 4GB of memory address space. This is to support 32-bit Windows which is
    limited 4 GB of memory address space under a normal flat memory model. When
    you run 64-bit Windows, that flat memory model is 16 TB of memory address
    space. But meanwhile, you've still got cards and components hiding your RAM
    because they have priority over those addresses in the first 4 GB. The BIOS
    can remap memory addresses to handle this and free up your extra RAM, but
    you need to enable that in the BIOS. It's called different things in
    different mfg's BIOS, but poke around a bit and you should find it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 2, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?YnJldA==?=

    McG. Guest

    > Sounds like your BIOS needs to do some address rearranging. The problem is
    > that various cards and components reserve addresses in the range between
    > 3GB and 4GB of memory address space. This is to support 32-bit Windows
    > which is limited 4 GB of memory address space under a normal flat memory
    > model. When you run 64-bit Windows, that flat memory model is 16 TB of
    > memory address space. But meanwhile, you've still got cards and components
    > hiding your RAM because they have priority over those addresses in the
    > first 4 GB. The BIOS can remap memory addresses to handle this and free up
    > your extra RAM, but you need to enable that in the BIOS. It's called
    > different things in different mfg's BIOS, but poke around a bit and you
    > should find it.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > "bret" <> wrote in message
    >>I have been using Vista Ultimate 64 since release with no problems. I
    >> upgraded from my 1gb of ram to 5gb total. Adding 4x1gb sticks. At boot
    >> the
    >> mobo recognizes 5120 mb of RAM. But Vista only reports 3967mb? I've
    >> checked
    >> all the ram and it works fine.
    >>
    >> I thought Ultimate 64 supported 128gb?
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how i might fix this,

    "Use Memory Hole" is a pretty common use in system BIOS. It will be in
    advanced settings, on Gigabyt motherboards use CTL-F1 at the BIOS main menu
    to enable Advanced User Options.
    McG.
    McG., Nov 2, 2007
  4. I activated the "memory hole" in the BIOS, now my computer starts up with a
    report of 7128 MB of RAM and then switches to 5120 MB. Windows Boots fine
    (though a lot longer, about a minute) and reports 5120 MB. My problem seems
    fixed. Now windows gives me a BSOD (Blue Screen Deat) at random times (with
    random software, with an error in " MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

    Normally I would expect strange things with new RAM. However, I started
    with 1024MB RAM in my computer then added 2x1024 sticks, with no problems and
    windows reported 3072 MB correctly, booted normally and never crashed on a
    BSOD. Months later, I then bought the exact same RAM again (2x1024MB from
    same manufacturer with same part #) Thus totaling a 4x1024MB upgrade.

    So basically, with the BIOS change, (seemingly the only way for windows to
    recognize over 4096MB) Windows crashes periodically, Takes forever to boot
    and is generally unstable.

    Here are my specs, maybe this will help

    Tyan Thunder K8W S2885
    AMD Opteron 250 x2
    Quadro FX 3000
    cpu1
    2x1024MB Crucial DDR 3200 REG ECC Dual Channel
    2x1024MB Crucial DDR 3200 REG ECC Dual Channel
    cpu2
    2x256MB OCZ DDR 3200 REG ECC Dual Channel
    2x256MB OCZ DDR 3200 REG ECC Dual Channel
    4x Hard Drives
    2x DVD Drives

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJldA==?=, Nov 7, 2007
  5. Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

    Check the MTRR setting in your BIOS. The manual should advise you of the
    best setting.

    Dominic Payer, Nov 7, 2007
  6. Tyan BIOSs have often had some issues with this. I'd look for an updated
    BIOS from them for a start. This isn't Windows fault, I have to say. Many of
    us here are happily running >4GB of RAM on 64-bit Windows. I'm doing it on
    everything from a jumped up ASUS mobo with 6GB (2x2048 + 2x1024) and an old
    D930 processor to a dual Xeon 5130 with 16 GB of RAM in an HP ML350 to a
    dual Xeon 5350 (quad core) with 16 GB on an HP DL380. OS's have been
    everything from XP x64 to Longhorn RC0 Enterprise.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 8, 2007
  7. Thanks for the help.

    I actually had the BIOS updated to the latest version (which includes a fix
    for the memory hole)

    After posting the last reply, I had another look around the BIOS. I found
    that the memory hole option only allows you to choose "software" or
    disabled", so I assume "disabled" means hardware mapping. I also found the
    MTRR option and the instructions suggest that continuous is for 4gb+ so I
    changed that to continuous.

    I have seen fewer crashes than before with MTRR on continuous.

    After some more forum digging I found an article that states the Opteron's
    compatibility with Hardware / Software memory mapping. It states that
    Opterons with certain stepping (older models) only support software mapping.
    I cannot find the exact model part number for my CPU's (as they are under the
    heat sink) but It seems I have an older model, because when software mapping
    is disabled I cannot see over 4gb in windows.

    Are my assumptions correct or should I be looking elsewhere?

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJldA==?=, Nov 8, 2007
  8. You should be able to find the stepping of your CPUs. Various utilities will
    report it. I'd start
    here...http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9033,00.html

    --
    Charlie.