    how to get Vista 64 to reconize these drives?
    --
    Steve

    Steve, Nov 29, 2007

  2. Hello Steve,
    Do you get an error message when attempting to install drivers for the
    external devices?
    Are you prompted for drivers for all devices that are attached or is it
    limited to this device?
    Look at this article and see if it applies.
    940199 Error message when you try to install a new hardware device on a
    Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows encountered a problem installing the
    driver software for your device"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;940199

    If there is a problem with the infcache file you will be prompted for
    device drivers for all devices whether they are included with the OS or not.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    |> From: =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?= <>
    |> Subject: Vista Ultimate 64 can't see external USB Drives
    |> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:50:03 -0800
    |> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    |>
    |> I have three external hard drives that I use for backup. A Maxtor
    OneTouch 4
    |> 500GB drive, a SimpleTech USB/Firewire and a Venus DS3 USB enclosure.
    When I

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 29, 2007

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    While the hotfix did sucede in installing OK, it didn't resolve the issue as
    Vista still wants a driver installed for the drives. There are no drivers for
    these. When connected to XP32 or 64, it see the controller and then the
    drive. What I did gain with the hotfix is the familiar sound when connecting
    or disconnecting the USB. This wasn't happening earlier. Bothe the Maxtor
    OneTouch and the Venus (Cypress) show up under USB Conrtollers in Device
    manager but have ! next to them and indicate a driver needs to be installed.
    As I said, there are no drivers. At the computer shop, I use an external USB
    device that supplies power and IDE/SATA connections to internal hard drives
    to connect to my bench machine so I can retreive customers data, then
    reformat the drive and re-install the operating system. I suspect that I
    would have the same failure as it first finds the controller and then the
    drive. It appears that Vista is not able to configure the controllers in
    order to see the drives. Am I making any sense. This only seems to be
    happening in Vista 64. I looked for a repair option in Vista 64 like the one
    available in XP but the only choice I have is re-installing the entire OS and
    having the original moved to a seperate unbootable folder. After all the
    updates that have been done and my being on Satellite Internet, I'd rather
    not go that route if I don't need to. Seems that if some component is missing
    from Vista 64, it should be able to tell me and address how to resolve that
    issue. I'm not getting error messages but rather prompts for drivers that
    both XP 32 and 64 evidently have built into their respective OSs.
    --
    Steve

    Steve, Nov 29, 2007