    I just installed Vista 64 bit ultimate and it works fine for about twenty
    minutes before things start playing up. I lose aero and video and sound
    playback becomes erratic.

    Lex Man, Jun 12, 2008

  2. Are you monitoring the temps inside the machine?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 12, 2008

  3. Lex Man

    Lex Man Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Are you monitoring the temps inside the machine?
    >
    > "Lex Man" <> wrote in message
    > > On the specs of my computer:
    > >
    > > AMD 64 4800+ 939 socket
    > > Asus A8R32-MVP Delux motherboard
    > > Creative Audigy Sound Card ZX Platinum
    > > ATI 3850 256mb HD graphics card
    > >
    > > I just installed Vista 64 bit ultimate and it works fine for about twenty
    > > minutes before things start playing up. I lose aero and video and sound
    > > playback becomes erratic.

    Only graphics card one which is at around 49 degrees

    Lex Man, Jun 12, 2008
  4. Lex Man

    Carlos Guest

    Lex Man,
    What about the Power Supply Unit?
    Does it have enough power for your graphic card?
    Are you doing any overclocking?
    Are the fans clean and unobstructed?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 12, 2008
  5. Lex Man

    Lex Man Guest

    I'm doing no overclocking and have a 500 watt power supply everything runs
    fine under XP pro. All the fans are clean.

    Arctic Power 500W PSU With PCI-E 2x SATA, 20+4 ATX12V 8pin +12V Connectors

    I installed PC fan which is reading 48 degrees for the core it peaked at
    fifty and then quickly dropped.

    Have installed

    Lex Man, Jun 12, 2008
  6. Lex Man

    Carlos Guest

    Lex Man,
    Power supply may be close to the limit.
    Read here:
    http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd3800/requirements.html
    ATI recommends "450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI
    Express® power"
    Do you have such a connector?
    Here's a list of certified power supplies:
    http://ati.amd.com/products/certified/powersupplies.html
    The card eats 100 watts (idle) to 200 watts (max) and is quite close to my
    card, an NVidia 8800GT.
    My 500 watts PSU couldn't handle the load so I had to buy a 550 watts PSU
    with dual 12 volt connectors.

    Carlos
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 13, 2008
  7. Please don't assume "it worked under XP" as a measure when running Vista
    x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 13, 2008
  8. Since you only just installed - have you looked for updates to ALL your
    64bit drivers? Including the ones on the system CD! Is the BIOS updated?

    These items alone may not fix your problem, but are definitely things you
    want to do before trying the 'despair' option!

    Personally, I think your PSU looks O.K. but it depends on what internal and
    external power consuming devices you have attached. Arctic Cooling has a
    good name to it, but we should appreciate that all brands push 'some' sh*t
    on to the market as well. At the end of the day, 500 watt isn't a whole lot
    any more and those watts will have to be the best quality. Your temps may be
    just a 'tad' high, but couldn't be serious, I don't think.

    At the very least, make sure all devices have their own connector to the PSU
    and doesn't share it with even a single fan - (as an example).

    A '939' socket probably isn't completely new - how old apprx?

    Try and disconnect everything the machine doesn't need for
    booting-and-starting Windows, and see how it fares?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 13, 2008
  9. Lex Man

    Lex Man Guest

    I have two six pins on my PSU one is plugged into the back of my graphics
    card without being plugged in the manchine won't turn on. I have all the
    latest drivers excpt for the ATI one which I rolled back to see if it would
    help the problem.

    I havn't updated my BIOS becasue I really wanted to leave that as a last
    resort.

    Lex Man, Jun 13, 2008
  10. Personally, when bringing home a new machine, checking for BIOS updates is
    about the first thing I do - I may not actually flash it on the spot, that
    will depend on what has been updated, and how many updates have been
    released between 'my' version and the currently updated version. You can see
    your version on the Boot-Screen, just after the graphics card is identified.

    Motherboards and PC's that you buy over the counter may have some
    considerable age to it. A completely new system will hardly be less than six
    months old and the update activity of some manufacturers are often high just
    in the beginning. So, it is important to be informed on what options you
    have.

    Any particular error may not seem BIOS related but with all the other
    updating that is constantly going on elsewhere, the BIOS's functionality
    could be stressed to the limits of what it was designed for, including early
    development mishaps. Memory timing adjustments and general fine-tunings are
    not rarely seen with these updates, as an example.

    And how old is this machine, and what OS did it run before installing your
    Vista?

    You might want to try running a memory test-suite, and to disconnect and
    re-seat every connector and internal device on the motherboard and the back
    of the machine, including the memory itself, and you could also try swapping
    the memory sticks around (Socket 1 -> 2 | Socket 2 -> 1) All this is
    particularly important even if the ssystem was running fine with 32bit XP!

    Oh-, and don't forget to pay a visit to Charlies blog - there's a link on
    every single one of his posts here, and a nice resource for everyone in
    'dire straights'. And, as a matter of fact, I believe Charlie was one having
    his own set of issues with ATI and Vista?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 13, 2008
  11. Lex Man

    Lex Man Guest

    "Tony Sperling" wrote:

> [...]

    > and
    > > > external power consuming devices you have attached. Arctic Cooling has a
    > > > good name to it, but we should appreciate that all brands push 'some'

    > sh*t
    > > > on to the market as well. At the end of the day, 500 watt isn't a whole

    > lot
    > > > any more and those watts will have to be the best quality. Your temps

    > may be
    > > > just a 'tad' high, but couldn't be serious, I don't think.
    > > >
    > > > At the very least, make sure all devices have their own connector to the

    > PSU
    > > > and doesn't share it with even a single fan - (as an example).
    > > >
    > > > A '939' socket probably isn't completely new - how old apprx?
    > > >
    > > > Try and disconnect everything the machine doesn't need for
    > > > booting-and-starting Windows, and see how it fares?

    Ok I've updated my BIOS also ran through my machine with OneCare scanner
    don't know if it will help but I will check tomorrow.

    I don't like flashing bios's as it can lead to horrible problems when it
    doesn't work right. If it doesn't work I'm going to give up and call it a
    day.

    Thanks Lex-Man

    Lex Man, Jun 13, 2008
  12. Well, I have been flashing BIOS's pretty much since the EEPROM first
    appeared and it has always worked flawlessly for me. Remember to read the
    instructions, though. There is usually (I should say - allways!) a utility
    to save your current BIOS to a *.BIN file and store it in a safe place.
    Then, the only mantra you have to remember in case of one of these horrible
    errors is really "Don't turn off the machine! Don't turn off the machine!
    Don't turn off the machine!!!"

    This requirement fullfilled, you can allways re-load the old setup from the
    BIN file.

    That said - flashing your BIOS really IS the scariest thing you can venture
    into, gives me the creeping willies every time!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 13, 2008
  13. Lex Man

    Carlos Guest

    Having an UPS hooked up to the PC certainly eases part of the tension when
    flashing the BIOS, so that no power outage may interrupt the process.
    BIOSes now have a non-flashable portion that keeps the code that ensures the
    emergency flashing process, when you have no video and the pc speaker beeps
    like hell.
    And yes, I do flash bioses to the latest release when the introduced
    changes/fixes mean a benefit to me.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 13, 2008
  14. Lex Man

    Lex Man Guest

    It went fine I did save a backup of my BIOS even though my BIOS thing keeps
    two copyies so I could switch back to the old one an any time.

    I've only ever flashed two pieces of hardware one was a graphics card that
    died as soon as I had done it. I.E the sceen went black even without the
    reseting the computer. The other was a computer that would only see 18 gigs
    of a 250 drive and that worked out fine.

    In this case Vista now appears to be working fine.

    Thanks you Tony.

    Lex Man, Jun 14, 2008
  15. This is good news - we're all glad to help.

    As I said before, it is not easy to know if flashing will help in a certain
    situation, but is is a good place to start before troubleshooting anything
    else that nobody may know what it may be.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 14, 2008