    My Question is this ~~ Can I upgrade to Vista 64 with my current allocation?
    If YES, please explain, if NO please explain how to fix so I can use 64-Bit.

    Thanks ~~ Gunny
    Seidell23231, Mar 15, 2008

  2. Seidell23231

    John Barnes Guest

    Moving to 64-bit requires a custom (clean) install. You can use WET to
    transfer files and settings (if you can get it to work, I never have been
    able to get it to complete).

    John Barnes, Mar 15, 2008

  3. How did you upgrade from VHP to VU?

    Did you purchase a retail copy of VU upgrade edition or did you upgrade via
    Anytime Upgrade?

    Was the VHP that came with the new computer preinstalled by HP (I assume
    so)?

    A preinstalled (OEM) copy of Vista is not eligible for a free migration to
    x64 like a retail one is. A retail customer can order a 64bit dvd from
    Microsoft for shipping and handling but that option is not available to
    customers whose Vista came preinstalled.

    However, since you upgraded, if you purchased a retail copy of VU upgrade
    edition then you are entitled to order a 64bit dvd from Microsoft. The
    instructions are in the box.

    If you upgraded via AU you will need to check the media kit you ordered to
    see if you can order a 64bit dvd (an instruction card is enclosed if you are
    eligible). If you have not ordered a media kit for your AU upgrade, do so
    now. Check the website to see if you can order a 64bit dvd or if you are
    limited to a 32bit dvd (because the AU was 32bit). I have not used AU and
    the AU FAQ page does not give enough details to tell without going through
    the AU process to find out.

    You will need to download the 64bit drivers and utilities from HP.

    If for some reason you are not eligible for a free x64 dvd as described
    above, then you will need to purchase a VU upgrade or standard edition at
    retail.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 15, 2008
  4. Seidell23231

    Mark Guest

    Most likely your current HP version is OEM.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/
    (An upgrade Product Key requires that you revert to XP SP2 prior to using it
    to install x64 from Vista x86.)

    See section:
    Installing Vista x64 on a system already running 32-bit version of Vista.
    Just follow the instructions.

    Key factors in being successful:
    1. Make sure all drivers needed are available out there. They must be x64
    versions to work.
    Some components still have trouble until x64 is installed. You may want
    to remove them first:
    a. Creative sound cards.
    b. SLI graphics
    c. Mixed SATA and IDE drives. (only have one installed while installing
    x64)
    When done, put them back in one at a time.
    2. When installing, elect not to update Vista until you are all done.
    3. If for some reason, it errs prior to complete install, just start the x64
    DVD again. You don't have to install XP again.

    To make uses of all memory, ensure you "remap" the memory hole through your
    BIOS. If this function is not available in the BIOS, you may need to update
    the BIOS. If still not available, I would question the need to go to x64.

    As everyone will be happy to point out semantics... this is not an upgrade,
    but a clean install. Nothing will survive so copy all your files first to a
    safe location.
    E-mail addresses transfer by WET.

    Good luck!
    Let us know how it goes.
    I've been on x64 since Vista was released and it's rock solid.

    Mark, Mar 15, 2008
  5. I've had pretty good success with WET (but only the built in one, not the
    one that promise to move your programs too). But it's almost always been
    64-bit to 64-bit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 15, 2008
  6. No it doesn't. A copy of Vista is eligible for an upgrade to Vista. The
    user who has a copy of VHP x86 preinstalled can upgrade to Vista Ultimate
    x64 by booting with the x64 dvd and entering his upgrade edition pk. Setup
    will find the VHP installed and allow the user to proceed since Vista is an
    eligible product (see the upgrade matrix). The user is not required to
    perform the upgrade from the desktop of the existing Windows (in fact he
    can't). He may then perform a clean install (reformat if he wishes) or
    perform a custom install to any available volume. 64bit upgrades are very
    different from 32bit upgrades. I have done these upgrades myself.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 15, 2008
  7. Seidell23231

    John Barnes Guest

    My attempts were also 64 64-bit. Never got one to finish. They would get a
    little over 50% and stop.

    John Barnes, Mar 15, 2008
  8. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    WOW Colin! Info overload, just kidding! OK, to clearify:

    1. My NEW HP m9150f - It came pre-installed with Vista Home Premium (OEM).

    2. I purchased a RETAIL version of Vista Ultimate, cost was around $250.00.
    That purchase gave me 2 DVD's:
    A. Vista Ultimate in 32-Bit - UPGRADE Version
    B. Vista Ultimate in 64-Bit - UPGRADE Version
    C. I purchased the Upgrade about 6-8 months ago. The only thing I have are
    the DVD's and a Quick Start Guide in Booklet format.

    3. I used the Vista Ultimate to Upgrade the PC I had then, which was using
    XP Pro.

    4. That PC is no longer alive, kicked the bucket about 2 weeks ago, but had
    a good 5 year life!

    SO, Thats is where I am at. Now, what do I have to do now to get my
    current PC, which has Vista Ultimate 32-Bit, into the 64-BIT WORLD?

    Thanks! Gunny

    Seidell23231, Mar 15, 2008
  9. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    Mark,

    Please see the reply to Colin above. Please review and advise.

    Thanks ~~ Gunny

    Seidell23231, Mar 15, 2008
  10. Boot the computer with the x64 dvd from your media kit and just do it. The
    copy of Vista presently on the computer is eligible for upgrade to Vista by
    definition so x64 Setup will allow you to proceed to a normal installation
    of Vista Ultimate x64 upon entry of the Upgrade Edition pk. It's as simple
    as that.

    It will have to be a custom install because an upgrade install from x86 to
    x64 is not possible.

    I recommend that you perform a classic clean install while you are at it.
    When you see the screen that offers you one or more volumes on which to
    install you will also see the Disk Tools icon. Use the disk tools to delete
    the partition and create a new one. It will not be necessary to format but
    you may do so if it makes you feel better (some people do even though it
    makes no difference when installing Vista).

    Obviously you are going to have to reinstall your apps and restore your
    files and settings so prepare accordingly. Remember the part about
    gathering your 64bit devices drivers before starting.

    You do not have to overwrite VHP if you have an available volume for VU and
    an additonal eligible Windows license. You can set up a dual boot system
    using an upgrade edition of VU. However, you must own another eligible
    license (retail Windows 2000, XP, or Vista) that is not in use (and has not
    been used in an upgrade either) to remain in compliance with the VU Eula.
    Of course if you have no other licenses then simply delete the VHP volume
    and replace it with VU.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 15, 2008
  11. Seidell23231

    Mark Guest

    Most likely, his VHP is OEM which is not eligible to move to x64.
    Since he has a VU upgrade PK, he would have to take the path of reverting to
    XP first.

    Mark, Mar 15, 2008
  12. > Most likely, his VHP is OEM which is not eligible to move to x64.

    Yes it is. (Although it is true that a preinstalled VHP x86 does not
    qualify a person to order a free x64 dvd from MS.)

    > Since he has a VU upgrade PK, he would have to take the path of reverting
    > to XP first.

    What XP? He has never had XP on this computer. He said he purchased the
    computer with VHP preinstalled.

    He upgraded already to Vista Ultimate x86. Vista is always eligible for
    upgrade to Vista. All he has to do is use his upgrade edition product key
    again and install Vista Ultimate x64. As soon as he inputs the pk, Setup
    will search for and find an eligible copy of Windows on his computer (Vista
    Ultimate x86). There is no need to "revert" to anything.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 15, 2008
  13. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    Hey Colin, PLEASE SEE my NOTES below:

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > > Most likely, his VHP is OEM which is not eligible to move to x64.

    > Yes it is. (Although it is true that a preinstalled VHP x86 does not
    > qualify a person to order a free x64 dvd from MS.)
    >
    > > Since he has a VU upgrade PK, he would have to take the path of reverting
    > > to XP first.

    > What XP? He has never had XP on this computer. He said he purchased the
    > computer with VHP preinstalled.

    ****Exactly, I have never had XP on this NEW PC. Your Statement is totally
    CORRECT!

    > He upgraded already to Vista Ultimate x86. Vista is always eligible for
    > upgrade to Vista. All he has to do is use his upgrade edition product key
    > again and install Vista Ultimate x64. As soon as he inputs the pk, Setup
    > will search for and find an eligible copy of Windows on his computer (Vista
    > Ultimate x86). There is no need to "revert" to anything.

    ****OK, if I understand you correctly, the following needs to be done:
    1. Exact out of Windows as if restarting.
    2. Load the VU 64 into the DVD Drive.
    3. The PC will start and with prompting, will start the Clean Install
    process.
    4. With VU 64 loaded in the DVD drive, It should search and find a valid
    copy of the OS and therefore, prompt me to start a Clean Install with VU 64.
    5. Follow the prompts....

    Is this correct?? If not please provide corrections where needed!

    Thanks You ALL for your HELP!! Gunny

    Seidell23231, Mar 15, 2008
  14. Yes you are correct.

    Step by step:

    1. You will start (or restart) the computer with the dvd in the drive.

    2. You will see the locale screen. Click Next.

    3. You will see the Install Now splash screen. Click Intall Now.

    4. You will see the product key page. Enter the product key and click
    Next. (I uncheck the Automatic activation box and give myself a few extra
    days to be sure I have a good system before activating.)

    5. You will see the license page. Read the EULA and click Next.

    6. You will see the Type of Installation page. Click on the Custom panel.

    7. You will see the Where Do You Want To Install Windows page. Highlight
    the volume you want to install VU x64 on and click the Drive Options button
    just to the right below the window.

    8. Click the red X (Delete) to delete the partition.

    9. Click New to create a new partition. Accept the default partition size
    and click Apply.

    10. Click on Format and OK the message about deleting the contents.

    11. Click Next.

    In a few minutes the installation will finish and you will have your fresh,
    clean installation of Vista Ultimate x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 15, 2008
  15. Seidell23231

    Mark Guest

    My apologies. Thanks for keeping it straight Colin.
    I misread the original post.
    The link provided is still correct, just a different section applied.
    I always try to provide a source. So, read the MS document.
    (That way you won't curse us when we give you the wrong instruction.)

    Mark, Mar 15, 2008
  16. I have read it before and Method 2 under "Installing a 64-bit version of
    Windows Vista on computer that is running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista"
    is obviously wrong.

    It cannot be necessary to install Windows XP. It is an obvious mistake.
    Stop a moment and think about it. Reread the title of the section. It is
    about installing Vista x64 on Vista x86, not on XP. It simply cannot be
    correct because the user may very well not even own XP. It might be his
    first computer and came with Vista x86 preinstalled. Where is such a user
    supposed to get this XP?

    In fact no operating system is necessary at all if the user wants to install
    twice, once without a pk and the second time with one.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 16, 2008
  17. Seidell23231

    Mark Guest

    Method 2 makes one important assumption, that the individual installing x64
    has an upgrade PK.

    Upgrade PKs are not eligible for full "clean" install path. There may be
    shortcuts to circumvent the method, but it is still an upgrade license.
    Since x64 requires a clean install, the method 2 details provided assume the
    original installation of Vista x86 was an upgrade PK also (from XP or other
    valid path.) In this light, the original OS used for the original upgrade
    must be installed first to meet the upgrade path requirements.

    In the original post, Vista HP x86 OEM is already installed on his new
    computer. Even though OEM, it is a full license and Method 1 applies to get
    the individual to Vista HP x64. From there, he may upgrade to Vista U x64
    with his upgade PK.

    If the individual desires to go straight to Vista U x64 with an upgrade PK,
    skipping the version for which they have a full version license, then Method
    2 is required to meet the EULA.

    It may work by your method, but it definately works as written and is not a
    mistake.

    Mark, Mar 17, 2008
  18. Inline

    > Upgrade PKs are not eligible for full "clean" install path.

    Incorrect. It has nothing to do with the PK (license). It is a software
    matter. The installation methodology is always at the convenience of the
    user. Microsoft builds Setup to handle the majority of installs, but any
    method is acceptible because the user is still bound by the terms of the
    EULA.

    >method 2 details provided assume the
    > original installation of Vista x86 was an upgrade PK also (from XP or
    > other
    > valid path.)

    It may assume that but it is clearly wrong. Vista has always been listed in
    the upgrade matrix as eligible for upgrade to Vista and the bitness has
    never been a distinction. It is just simply and plainly an error to
    instruct a user to install XP when XP may not even have been used on the
    computer. There are a bunch of computers on sale right now that don't even
    have XP drivers.

    >Even though OEM, it is a full license

    There is no "full" license. The EULA is just the EULA. There are retail
    and OEM EULAs. The retail EULAs contain wording that apply to upgrades, but
    there are not seperate "full" and "upgrade" retail EULAs.

    >and Method 1 applies to get the individual to Vista HP x64.

    Why in the world would a user have to upgrade from VHP x86 to VHP x64 before
    upgrading to VU x64? Nonsense. The user can just stick his VU x64 dvd in
    the machine, boot, and enter the upgrade pk. x64 Setup will find an
    eligible copy of Windows already installed and simply proceed. The VHP x86
    migration to VHP x64 would have been a custom install anyway so there is
    absolutely nothing gained by such a step because all software has to be
    reinstalled anyway.

    > If the individual desires to go straight to Vista U x64 with an upgrade
    > PK,
    > skipping the version for which they have a full version license, then
    > Method
    > 2 is required to meet the EULA.

    Once again, the EULA does not dictate installation methodology. Read the
    EULA. In section 14 all that is required is that the user OWN a license
    eligible for upgrade. Installing the software for which the license will be
    superceded is not required. In fact, you can upgrade over a retail XP
    installation, for example, but use a Win2k license that has been sitting on
    your shelf and then be able to use the XP on another machine later. You can
    decide that you want the Win2k license superceded so that you can reuse the
    XP license even though Win2k is not on the machine. The superceded license
    does not have to be for installed software for it to be the eligible
    license. It is called "assigning". The mere fact that an operating system
    license is installed on the computer being upgraded does not force the user
    to supercede that license. It is the user's choice and if he has another
    eligible license he may assign it. Don't confuse installation methodology
    with licensing.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 17, 2008
  19. Seidell23231

    John Barnes Guest

    Except that upgrade pk's for the same bittness must be run from the desktop,
    not the DVD. Such will be stated if the DVD is inserted and an upgrade pk
    code entered. Only repairs are available from the DVD.

    John Barnes, Mar 17, 2008
  20. Incorrect. If Vista VHP x64 is on the computer the user can boot the
    computer with the x64 dvd, enter the VU upgrade pk, and proceed. 64bit
    Setup always searches for an eligible Windows without requiring a restart
    from the desktop. The instruction to run Setup from the existing Windows is
    ONLY done by the 32bit Setup when an upgrade pk is entered.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 17, 2008