Vista the new ME of Windows..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Greg House, Aug 17, 2007.

  1. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Re: Vista the new ME of Windows..

    In message <>, Greg House
    < wrote:

    > http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41979


    So, mister experienced mainframe hardware technician expert, what are you
    going to upgrade to once Dimdows XP hits the end of its useful life?
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 17, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Greg House

    Kent Smith Guest

    Re: Vista the new ME of Windows..

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Greg House
    > < wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41979

    >
    > So, mister experienced mainframe hardware technician expert, what are
    > you going to upgrade to once Dimdows XP hits the end of its useful
    > life?


    Your subject makes no sence in relation to the article. Did you actually
    read it?

    "On a scale from 1 to 10, if Windows 98 was a 4, Windows ME a 3, Windows
    2000 a 6 and Windows XP a 7 then Windows Vista is easily an 8. It's a worthy
    and significant upgrade. It deserves a good reputation."

    Your subject would be more accurate to the article if you said "Vista is
    best Windows OS".


    -KENT
     
    Kent Smith, Aug 17, 2007
    #3
  4. Hi there,

    Greg House wrote:
    >
    > http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41979


    The author (in his infinite wisdom) rates Vista 8/10, and ME 3/10.
    Somehow you equate Vista to be another ME based on that article.

    Even with my leaning towards Linux I feel obliged to suggest that
    you comprehend the article more clearly before posting here.

    Just so you don't think I've switched to the dark side I can give
    you the story of a workmate who bought a brand spanking Asus 2.16GHz
    Core 2 Duo laptop, with nVidia gfx...he tells me Vista quaffs around
    30% CPU at idle, leaving only 70% free CPU for apps. Compare that to
    openSUSE 10.2 running the very latest 3D enhancements to the KDE GUI,
    which consumes about 3-5% on my more modest hardware, leaving at least
    95% CPU time free for apps. There is no question that Vista is resource
    hungry, but 30% at idle? Wow...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...
     
    Chris Wilkinson, Aug 17, 2007
    #4
  5. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    Re: Vista the new ME of Windows..

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:07:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Greg House
    >< wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41979

    >
    >So, mister experienced mainframe hardware technician expert, what are you
    >going to upgrade to once Dimdows XP hits the end of its useful life?




    Never, I am not interest in a Beta OS..
     
    Greg House, Aug 17, 2007
    #5
  6. Re: Vista the new ME of Windows..

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:27:53 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:

    > "On a scale from 1 to 10, if Windows 98 was a 4, Windows ME a 3, Windows
    > 2000 a 6 and Windows XP a 7 then Windows Vista is easily an 8. It's a
    > worthy and significant upgrade. It deserves a good reputation."


    [throws head back and laughs]!

    M$ Vi$ta is a piece of bloated, buggy, DRM'd junk. It deserves to be shown
    up for what it is!


    --
    Jonathan Walker

    "The IT industry landscape is littered with the dead
    dreams of people who once trusted Microsoft."
     
    Jonathan Walker, Aug 17, 2007
    #6
  7. Re: Vista the new ME of Windows..

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:27:53 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
    >
    >> "On a scale from 1 to 10, if Windows 98 was a 4, Windows ME a 3, Windows
    >> 2000 a 6 and Windows XP a 7 then Windows Vista is easily an 8. It's a
    >> worthy and significant upgrade. It deserves a good reputation."

    >
    > [throws head back and laughs]!
    >
    > M$ Vi$ta is a piece of bloated, buggy, DRM'd junk. It deserves to be shown
    > up for what it is!
    >
    >

    How long have you been running it?


    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a
    Guru...but not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high... :)
     
    Southern Kiwi, Aug 17, 2007
    #7
  8. Greg House

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in
    message news:46c52d3c$...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Just so you don't think I've switched to the dark side I can give
    > you the story of a workmate who bought a brand spanking Asus 2.16GHz
    > Core 2 Duo laptop, with nVidia gfx...he tells me Vista quaffs around
    > 30% CPU at idle, leaving only 70% free CPU for apps. Compare that to
    > openSUSE 10.2 running the very latest 3D enhancements to the KDE GUI,
    > which consumes about 3-5% on my more modest hardware, leaving at least
    > 95% CPU time free for apps. There is no question that Vista is resource
    > hungry, but 30% at idle? Wow...


    I wonder what garbage he's got running in the background then.

    My system normally runs at between 2 and 8% CPU, and mostly sits in a 4-5%
    range at idle, with a browser, email client, and RT virus package running.
     
    Mickey Mouse, Aug 17, 2007
    #8
  9. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:07:52 +1000, Chris Wilkinson <>
    wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Greg House wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41979

    >
    >The author (in his infinite wisdom) rates Vista 8/10, and ME 3/10.
    >Somehow you equate Vista to be another ME based on that article.
    >
    >Even with my leaning towards Linux I feel obliged to suggest that
    >you comprehend the article more clearly before posting here.
    >
    >Just so you don't think I've switched to the dark side I can give
    >you the story of a workmate who bought a brand spanking Asus 2.16GHz
    >Core 2 Duo laptop, with nVidia gfx...he tells me Vista quaffs around
    >30% CPU at idle, leaving only 70% free CPU for apps. Compare that to
    >openSUSE 10.2 running the very latest 3D enhancements to the KDE GUI,
    >which consumes about 3-5% on my more modest hardware, leaving at least
    >95% CPU time free for apps. There is no question that Vista is resource
    >hungry, but 30% at idle? Wow...




    Yes but what can you run on this Luinix Crap, very little and most is Crap software, Plus you need
    Internet support.
     
    Greg House, Aug 17, 2007
    #9
  10. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    Re: Vista the new ME of Windows..

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:13:55 +1200, Southern Kiwi <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:27:53 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> "On a scale from 1 to 10, if Windows 98 was a 4, Windows ME a 3, Windows
    >>> 2000 a 6 and Windows XP a 7 then Windows Vista is easily an 8. It's a
    >>> worthy and significant upgrade. It deserves a good reputation."

    >>
    >> [throws head back and laughs]!
    >>
    >> M$ Vi$ta is a piece of bloated, buggy, DRM'd junk. It deserves to be shown
    >> up for what it is!
    >>
    >>

    >How long have you been running it?




    Why would any one would want to eat a Bad Apple..?
     
    Greg House, Aug 17, 2007
    #10
  11. Greg House

    trueone Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41979
    >
    >
    >


    roger give it a rest. you keep going on and on and have never even tried it.
    I have it on 2 laptops and a desktop. everything works well and as
    expected. printers , modems , video sound all fine. rip dvds etc no problem.
    much better the XP.

    so before you keep harping on about it being rubbish at least try it and
    then you can have the right to give an opinion.

    I for one will not go back to XP
     
    trueone, Aug 17, 2007
    #11
  12. Greg House

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >


    Oh Woe is Woger...

    I skipped XP and went straight to Vista on upgrade.

    Doesn't mean I have to justify in my own mind that XP isn't quite up to the
    same level as Vista, but I would rather be on the beginning of a Product
    Support Lifecycle, than the end.

    Perhaps you can skip Vista and go for Windows 7, or will we see a classic
    Woger flip-flop with the pooh-poohing becoming Viva Vista?
     
    Mickey Mouse, Aug 17, 2007
    #12
  13. Greg House

    Allistar Guest

    Re: Vista the new ME of Windows..

    Greg House < wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:13:55 +1200, Southern Kiwi
    > <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:27:53 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "On a scale from 1 to 10, if Windows 98 was a 4, Windows ME a 3,
    >>>> Windows 2000 a 6 and Windows XP a 7 then Windows Vista is easily an 8.
    >>>> It's a worthy and significant upgrade. It deserves a good reputation."
    >>>
    >>> [throws head back and laughs]!
    >>>
    >>> M$ Vi$ta is a piece of bloated, buggy, DRM'd junk. It deserves to be
    >>> shown up for what it is!
    >>>
    >>>

    >>How long have you been running it?

    >
    >
    >
    > Why would any one would want to eat a Bad Apple..?


    How can anyone comment on an apple they have not eaten?

    Allistar.
     
    Allistar, Aug 17, 2007
    #13
  14. Greg House

    Cadae Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in
    message news:46c52d3c$...
    > Just so you don't think I've switched to the dark side I can give
    > you the story of a workmate who bought a brand spanking Asus 2.16GHz
    > Core 2 Duo laptop, with nVidia gfx...he tells me Vista quaffs around
    > 30% CPU at idle, leaving only 70% free CPU for apps. Compare that to
    > openSUSE 10.2 running the very latest 3D enhancements to the KDE GUI,
    > which consumes about 3-5% on my more modest hardware, leaving at least
    > 95% CPU time free for apps. There is no question that Vista is resource
    > hungry, but 30% at idle? Wow...
    >


    Right this moment, the Vista machine on which I'm typing this message is
    fluctuating between 97% and 99% idle, with the vast majority of that time at
    99%.

    Admittedly it's an overclocked Quad Core Extreme with the best ram Corsair
    can provide, but hey :)

    PC
     
    Cadae, Aug 17, 2007
    #14
  15. Greg House

    Cadae Guest

    Re: Vista the new ME of Windows..

    "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > [throws head back and laughs]!
    >
    > M$ Vi$ta is a piece of bloated, buggy, DRM'd junk. It deserves to be shown
    > up for what it is!
    >


    Vista has some pretty good enhancements - unlike XP it properly assigns
    tasks to CPU cores within the Intel Quad-cores, ensuring a task stays within
    the cache domain of the core-pair it is running in.

    Its default security is streets ahead of XP - you have to sacrifice your
    first-born to arbitrarily copy an executable into any Program File
    sub-directory, and it flatly refuses a direct copy from a network location
    into any Program Files subdirectory. This is going to be a god-send for
    corporate security staff who have had to battle poorly designed applications
    that break these rules. Developers and designers are going to be forced to
    learn to respect security considerations.

    Then there's the removal of XP's 2 Terra-byte limit on disk partitions.Vista
    now lets me assign my 5 Tbyte logical raid disk to a single volume, and for
    several reasons this is important for my work.

    This is not to imply that Vista is perfect- it has its problems, e.g. the
    laggardly performance of the shell's built-in file compressor. However it is
    nowhere near as bad as your claims make it to be, and it does have real
    benefits over other OS/s.


    PC
     
    Cadae, Aug 17, 2007
    #15
  16. Re: Vista the new ME of Windows..

    In message <>, Greg House
    < wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:07:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Greg House
    >>< wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41979

    >>
    >>So, mister experienced mainframe hardware technician expert, what are you
    >>going to upgrade to once Dimdows XP hits the end of its useful life?

    >
    >
    >
    > Never...


    I didn't ask "when", I asked "what".
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 17, 2007
    #16
  17. Re: Vista the new ME of Windows..

    In message <>, trueone wrote:

    > I have it on 2 laptops and a desktop. everything works well and as
    > expected. printers , modems , video sound all fine.


    Therefore nobody else can be having problems, can they?
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 17, 2007
    #17
  18. Greg House

    trueone Guest

    Re: Vista the new ME of Windows..

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    news:fa3or3$bu2$...
    > In message <>, trueone wrote:
    >
    >> I have it on 2 laptops and a desktop. everything works well and as
    >> expected. printers , modems , video sound all fine.

    >
    > Therefore nobody else can be having problems, can they?


    I didnt say "therefore no one else should have problems". Of course alot
    of people will have problems alot wont. same with Linux, same with any
    system. The range of differences with the PC and components variations
    there will be problems no matter what.

    What I am saying is that greg house (roger shepheard) is not qualified to
    have an opinion because he hasnt even tried it. If he had tried it and
    had problems fair enough.
     
    trueone, Aug 17, 2007
    #18
  19. Hi there,

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in
    > message news:46c52d3c$...
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Just so you don't think I've switched to the dark side I can give
    >> you the story of a workmate who bought a brand spanking Asus 2.16GHz
    >> Core 2 Duo laptop, with nVidia gfx...he tells me Vista quaffs around
    >> 30% CPU at idle, leaving only 70% free CPU for apps. Compare that to
    >> openSUSE 10.2 running the very latest 3D enhancements to the KDE GUI,
    >> which consumes about 3-5% on my more modest hardware, leaving at least
    >> 95% CPU time free for apps. There is no question that Vista is resource
    >> hungry, but 30% at idle? Wow...

    >
    > I wonder what garbage he's got running in the background then.


    Who knows? He uses it for study (learning CAD), and with the amount
    of shareware he's installed there could be anything lurking on there.
    Wouldn't say a lot for security in that case, allowing crap onto the
    system so easily.

    > My system normally runs at between 2 and 8% CPU, and mostly sits in a
    > 4-5% range at idle, with a browser, email client, and RT virus package
    > running.


    My 3D desktop adds a % so I guess its an equivalent comparison, so
    without that I'm down around 2-4% idle. Are you using Aero?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...
     
    Chris Wilkinson, Aug 17, 2007
    #19
  20. Re: Vista the new ME of Windows..

    Greg House wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:13:55 +1200, Southern Kiwi <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:27:53 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "On a scale from 1 to 10, if Windows 98 was a 4, Windows ME a 3, Windows
    >>>> 2000 a 6 and Windows XP a 7 then Windows Vista is easily an 8. It's a
    >>>> worthy and significant upgrade. It deserves a good reputation."
    >>> [throws head back and laughs]!
    >>>
    >>> M$ Vi$ta is a piece of bloated, buggy, DRM'd junk. It deserves to be shown
    >>> up for what it is!
    >>>
    >>>

    >> How long have you been running it?

    >
    > Why would any one would want to eat a Bad Apple..?
    >
    >

    OIC, so the expert opinion was formed by listening to the rabble?

    I run it and have for about 3 months....and don't like it....yet

    I have migrated from several dos's,win 3.1, 95, 95b, me, xp, xp pro and
    ALL had there own troubles, so it's hardly surprising Vista does as well..

    Just for the record..XP is my favorite.



    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a
    Guru...but not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high... :)
     
    Southern Kiwi, Aug 17, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. BIG NIGE

    Why bother with New Windows Vista

    BIG NIGE, Jul 28, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    621
    Blinky the Shark
    Jul 29, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?YWRub24=?=

    Windows Vista 64 or Windows Vista 32 for AMD 64 FX-57

    =?Utf-8?B?YWRub24=?=, Feb 5, 2007, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    550
    Aaron Kelley
    Feb 7, 2007
  3. I love Google
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,008
  4. Max Burke
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    2,013
    E. Scrooge
    May 18, 2007
  5. Chris Cowles
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    2,530
    Colin Barnhorst
    Feb 24, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page