Vista SP1 flunks university test

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by nospam, Mar 23, 2008.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    Vista SP1 flunks university test
    Penn ban

    By Egan Orion: Friday, 21 March 2008, 4:31 PM

    VISTA SP1 isn't good enough to install yet, according to the computer
    support staff at the University of Pennsylvania.

    The University's Information Systems and Computing organisation has
    advised faculty and students not to upgrade to SP1 any computers they
    might have that are running Windows Vista, Information Week writes.

    The university techies said they will support Vista SP1 that's been
    pre-installed on new systems, but cautioned in a bulletin to campus
    users that it "strongly recommends that all other users adopt a 'wait
    and see' attitude."

    The Ivy League school's technical support staffers advised "continuing
    to use previous versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista until after the
    initial bugs in SP1 are identified and fixed."

    Perhaps the graybeards among the Penn techies - those who were around in
    2002 - remember how Windows XP SP1 caused a lot of problems that had to
    be fixed with later patches. µ

    nospam, Mar 23, 2008

  2. nospam

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Possibly "Scooped" -

    By Paul McDougall
    InformationWeek
    March 21, 2008 10:53 AM

    Windows Vista SP1 Is having a tough time getting into the Ivy League.

    http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206905083

    However, in my view, this is not very surprising. Neither is it unknown that
    IT support recommend a "go slowly and cautiously" approach with any set of
    substantial software changes that potentially involves numbers of boxes that
    they support. Especially true with any that include possible device drivers
    changes.

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Mar 23, 2008