Vista SP1 destroys certain apps

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jake Malone - MVP/MUT, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. Vista SP1 kills and maims security apps, utilitiesCheck security
    software before installing
    By Kelly Fiveash → More by this author
    Published Friday 22nd February 2008 14:51 GMT
    Green Computing - Where do you stand?
    Microsoft has admitted that Windows Vista service pack one (SP1) renders
    useless a number of well-known third party security products.

    Redmond said in a knowledge base article yesterday that due to
    "reliability" issues with Vista SP1, it has been forced to prevent some
    security products from running after the service pack is installed.

    So, customers who currently have versions of Jiangmin KV Antivirus or
    Trend Micro's Internet Security on their Vista computers will no longer
    be able to use the software, which are suppose to safeguard their
    machines against hackers and malware, after SP1 is installed.

    The two other security products deemed by Microsoft to make Vista SP1
    "unreliable" are versions of BitDefender AV and Zone Alarm Security Suite.

    It added that it has put a block on Fujitsu's Shock Sensor utility,
    which protects laptop hard-drives against sudden shocks.

    Microsoft also pinpointed a number of products that simply won't work
    after the service pack, which is expected to be available for download
    to everyone by the middle of next month, has been installed.

    Versions of Iron Speed Designer, Xheo Licensing, and Free Allegiance
    software are on that particular blacklist.

    Meanwhile, Novell's ZCM Agent and the New York Times reader software are
    among the products listed as having severely reduced functionality post
    Vista-SP1.

    Microsoft said in the article: "A program may experience a loss of
    functionality after you install Windows Vista SP1. However, most
    programs will continue to work as expected after you install Windows
    Vista SP1."

    This latest embarrassing cock-up comes just days after Microsoft
    snatched back a key pre-requisite update for Vista SP1 from its Windows
    Update website.

    It was forced to suspend distribution of its servicing stack KB937287
    update after customers complained that their PCs wouldn't boot up
    properly once it had been applied. ®

    Jake Malone - MVP/MUT, Feb 22, 2008

  2. Jake Malone - MVP/MUT

    John Adams Guest

    You forgot to mention that supported versions of these applications are all
    available now and that these vendors were part of the decision to block them
    after SP1 installed.

    Check here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935796

    - John

    John Adams, Feb 23, 2008

  3. He doesn't worry about facts that don't fit an agenda.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 23, 2008
  4. Jake Malone - MVP/MUT

    waxace Guest

    I have installed a "Glitch" by MS version of SP1 for 64bit.
    It was not supposed to be released until March but it came in on my Windows
    Update.
    Glitch or not I installed it and it works fine.
    I do not have any borderline apps and checked into the apps that were
    working before I built this computer from the ground up.
    SP1 made file reading and processing faster and improved a few other things.
    NOW, to the issue of non-compatable software, there will be stuff that will
    not work with every OS and people have not got used to that issue yet.
    Research what you install, check for UPDATED drivers and don't assume that
    everything will run right 100% of the time.
    I can't speak for all the software that does not work, but I have software
    that I test as I go along for the reason that it is stated it is NOT designed
    for 64 bit.
    Still I have a bunch of 32 bit programs that run just fine on my 64 bit
    system.
    Check the Mfg. for drivers.
    One thing for sure, some products WILL NOT run on 64bit correctly being
    they are designed for 32bit systems.
    ZONE ALARM is NOT 64bit. They are planning for a 64bit product, but it is
    not one now. Same with Webroot products and Bit defender.
    Check and don't assume software will work.
    My system is fully functuional with many apps and NO issues.
    Try AVG for a Anti-Virus. It is written for 64bit......

    --
    JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG....
    WAXACE

    waxace, Feb 25, 2008
  5. The glitch isn't in SP1 proper. It relates to the herald file which writes
    a registry key. If you got past that with no problems then you should be
    home free.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 25, 2008