    dated August 2007, 1.08GB in size
    And yes, I know it is still a beta version SP-1 v.249 Expires 8/4/2008

    Don't shoot the messenger!!

    Clayton, Sep 12, 2007

  2. Clayton

    XS11E Guest

    "Clayton" <> wrote:

    > All in all, it has not fixed much, it has incorporated all 60
    > updates since RTM

    I think by now we all know (or should know) that service packs are not
    intended to fix anything, they combine previous updates and add
    drivers. Some service packs such as SP2 for XP do add/change some
    functionality but that's not usual.

    XS11E, Sep 12, 2007

  3. Clayton

    Clayton Guest

    LOL, ofcourse they are intended to fix things

    Clayton, Sep 18, 2007
  4. Clayton

    XS11E Guest

    "Clayton" <> wrote:

    > "XS11E" <> wrote in message
    >> "Clayton" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> All in all, it has not fixed much, it has incorporated all 60
    >>> updates since RTM

    >> I think by now we all know (or should know) that service packs
    >> are not intended to fix anything, they combine previous updates
    >> and add drivers. Some service packs such as SP2 for XP do
    >> add/change some functionality but that's not usual.

    > LOL, ofcourse they are intended to fix things

    No, they are NOT intended as fixes and people who install service packs
    thinking they will fix a problem are almost always disappointed and
    sometimes find the problem is worse after the service pack.

    XS11E, Sep 18, 2007
  5. Clayton

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree with you. Fixes that are important or critical are issued thru
    updates that are later incorporated into the SP. For the most part, unless
    an extraordinary delay is expected before the next os release (as in the
    case of 5 yrs for Vista), any 'fixes' are saved for it.

    John Barnes, Sep 18, 2007
  6. Clayton

    John Barnes Guest

    Also, Microsoft has announced that they are no longer going to add drivers
    to the service packs as they are available thru Windows update and are a
    waste to load so many irrelevant drivers on everyone's machine.

    John Barnes, Sep 18, 2007
  7. Another detail to remember here is that a Service Pack has to support all
    languages for the OS. If they've made any changes to localized resources,
    then that has to be reflected in something like 99 different languages.

    --
    Chuck Walbourn
    SDE, XNA Developer Connection

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], Sep 18, 2007