Vista Security...Grrrr! Please help.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by tempgal, Mar 14, 2009.

  1. tempgal

    tempgal Guest

    Hi --

    I have Vista 64bit on my notebook computer.

    Am trying to make a favorite old XP screensaver work. Everything that I've
    read seems to indicate that if I can paste the .scr files in the System32
    folder that it will work. However, that simple step is proving to be very
    difficult. Every time I attempt to paste the copied file, I receive a
    message that I need permission to do so. This is the case whether I try to
    paste the files into the System32 folder or any other folder that I create.

    So far, I have done the following:

    --Installed a registry hack that automatically gives me ownership.
    --Accessed Windows Explorer as Administrator by doing
    Start/Programs/Accessories/ the right-clicking on Windows Explorer and
    selecting Run as Administator.

    No matter what I do, the same "need permission" message still appears.

    I am not running any special security programs such as Norton Internet
    Security, so there is nothing to disable. I am the owner and only user of
    this computer.

    I don't get the Run as Administrator option when I right-click on the
    screensaver setup file.

    Can anyone suggest what else I might try to just be able to copy files to
    wherever I want to?

    Thanks.
    tempgal, Mar 14, 2009

  2. Hello,
    Create a new folder off the root, copy it to there.
    then open an elevated cmd.
    change directory to the ne folder you created,
    copy the screensaver to the \windows\system32 folder
    Explorer really isn't running elevated, so doing this from the commandline
    should work.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Mar 16, 2009

  3. tempgal wrote:

    > Hi --
    >
    > I have Vista 64bit on my notebook computer.
    >
    > Am trying to make a favorite old XP screensaver work. Everything that
    > I've read seems to indicate that if I can paste the .scr files in the
    > System32
    > folder that it will work. However, that simple step is proving to be very
    > difficult. Every time I attempt to paste the copied file, I receive a
    > message that I need permission to do so. This is the case whether I try
    > to paste the files into the System32 folder or any other folder that I
    > create.
    >
    > So far, I have done the following:
    >
    > --Installed a registry hack that automatically gives me ownership.
    > --Accessed Windows Explorer as Administrator by doing
    > Start/Programs/Accessories/ the right-clicking on Windows Explorer and
    > selecting Run as Administator.
    >
    > No matter what I do, the same "need permission" message still appears.
    >
    > I am not running any special security programs such as Norton Internet
    > Security, so there is nothing to disable. I am the owner and only user of
    > this computer.
    >
    > I don't get the Run as Administrator option when I right-click on the
    > screensaver setup file.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what else I might try to just be able to copy files to
    > wherever I want to?
    >
    > Thanks.

    post in microsoft.public.windows.vista.security please
    Michael Tsang, Mar 17, 2009