Vista sales fastest ever

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JohnO, May 18, 2007.

  1. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    According to Micro$oft.

    But there's been plenty of bandwidth devoted to 'Vista Flops' type
    articles around here.

    Surely some linux fans aren't propagating FUD? I mean, that's the role
    of Micro$oft and Telecon isn't it?


    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10440376

    Vista sales fastest ever
    4:30AM Friday May 18, 2007

    Microsoft has sold 40 million copies of its new operating system,
    Windows Vista, which was released to consumers in January, making it
    the company's fastest product launch ever and confounding sceptics.

    The figures are a rebuke to critics who initially said Vista sales
    were proving lacklustre, and they pushed Microsoft shares back to the
    levels reached in the days before the launch.

    And the announcement neatly coincided with the revelation that George
    Soros, the investment guru, has doubled his holding of Microsoft
    shares to 415,497, when they were in the doldrums a few weeks ago.
     
    JohnO, May 18, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. JohnO

    peterwn Guest

    On May 18, 8:12 pm, JohnO <> wrote:

    > Vista sales fastest ever
    > 4:30AM Friday May 18, 2007
    >
    > Microsoft has sold 40 million copies of its new operating system,
    > Windows Vista, which was released to consumers in January, making it
    > the company's fastest product launch ever and confounding sceptics.


    It would be interesting to know:
    1. Total OEM licences produced and in the hands of the OEM's.
    2. Of these, the total number of computers that have actually gone
    out of the door with Vista licence stickers on.
    3. Again, of these, the number that will never be used because the
    computers went out of the door loaded with Linux.
    4. The number of XP loaded computers that Dell shipped after Vista
    came out because that is what the customers wanted.
    5. The number of people forced to buy a Vista loaded computer when
    they would have rather has a XP computer.
    6. The number of shrink wrap copies sold.
    7. The number of copies of XP that would have been sold instead of
    Vista if customers had a choice.

    >
    > The figures are a rebuke to critics who initially said Vista sales
    > were proving lacklustre, and they pushed Microsoft shares back to the
    > levels reached in the days before the launch.


    If the above information was available, it would be possible to make
    an informed judgement on this issue.

    >
    > And the announcement neatly coincided with the revelation that George
    > Soros, the investment guru, has doubled his holding of Microsoft
    > shares to 415,497, when they were in the doldrums a few weeks ago.


    If George was that wrapped with Microsoft, there would be an extra 0
    or 00 after that figure.
     
    peterwn, May 18, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Hi there,

    JohnO wrote:
    > According to Micro$oft.
    >
    > But there's been plenty of bandwidth devoted to 'Vista Flops' type
    > articles around here.
    >
    > Surely some linux fans aren't propagating FUD? I mean, that's the role
    > of Micro$oft and Telecon isn't it?
    >
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10440376
    >
    > Vista sales fastest ever
    > 4:30AM Friday May 18, 2007
    >
    > Microsoft has sold 40 million copies of its new operating system,
    > Windows Vista, which was released to consumers in January, making it
    > the company's fastest product launch ever and confounding sceptics.
    >
    > The figures are a rebuke to critics who initially said Vista sales
    > were proving lacklustre, and they pushed Microsoft shares back to the
    > levels reached in the days before the launch.
    >
    > And the announcement neatly coincided with the revelation that George
    > Soros, the investment guru, has doubled his holding of Microsoft
    > shares to 415,497, when they were in the doldrums a few weeks ago.


    The real measure I think is how many copies are sold as a percentage
    of total PC sales. You may find that, compared to XP, Vista sells
    the same % as XP because most sales are of OEM copies pre-installed.

    It doesn't matter to me - everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista
    (both of them!) say its much ado about nothing - the 'wow' really
    hasn't started for them...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...
     
    Chris Wilkinson, May 18, 2007
    #3
  4. JohnO

    Craig Shore Guest

    On 18 May 2007 01:24:33 -0700, peterwn <> wrote:

    >On May 18, 8:12 pm, JohnO <> wrote:
    >
    >> Vista sales fastest ever
    >> 4:30AM Friday May 18, 2007
    >>
    >> Microsoft has sold 40 million copies of its new operating system,
    >> Windows Vista, which was released to consumers in January, making it
    >> the company's fastest product launch ever and confounding sceptics.

    >
    >It would be interesting to know:
    >1. Total OEM licences produced and in the hands of the OEM's.
    >2. Of these, the total number of computers that have actually gone
    >out of the door with Vista licence stickers on.
    >3. Again, of these, the number that will never be used because the
    >computers went out of the door loaded with Linux.
    >4. The number of XP loaded computers that Dell shipped after Vista
    >came out because that is what the customers wanted.
    >5. The number of people forced to buy a Vista loaded computer when
    >they would have rather has a XP computer.
    >6. The number of shrink wrap copies sold.
    >7. The number of copies of XP that would have been sold instead of
    >Vista if customers had a choice.


    It could just be that because computers are a lot cheaper thesedays that a lot
    more are being sold than in their previous OS launches.
     
    Craig Shore, May 18, 2007
    #4
  5. JohnO

    Miguel Guest

    On Fri, 18 May 2007 18:36:25 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:


    > [...] everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista
    > (both of them!) say its much ado about nothing


    Well at least you know people who are using Vista.

    Seriously. I've been wanting to have a playaround on Vista (especially
    Aero v Beryl) since it came out but I've yet to meet anyone using it.
    Maybe I need to get out more and meet some new people...

    Regards
    Miguel
     
    Miguel, May 18, 2007
    #5
  6. JohnO

    BTMO Guest

    "Miguel" <> wrote

    >> [...] everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista
    >> (both of them!) say its much ado about nothing

    >
    > Well at least you know people who are using Vista.
    >
    > Seriously. I've been wanting to have a playaround on Vista (especially
    > Aero v Beryl) since it came out but I've yet to meet anyone using it.
    > Maybe I need to get out more and meet some new people...


    Possibly not - your existing friends may be very smart.

    A friend of mine got it with a new laptop. It is a total dog of a thing -
    she spends more time on the phone trying to get it sorted out than actually
    using it!
     
    BTMO, May 18, 2007
    #6
  7. BTMO wrote:
    > "Miguel" <> wrote
    >
    >
    >>> [...] everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista
    >>> (both of them!) say its much ado about nothing
    >>>

    >> Well at least you know people who are using Vista.
    >>
    >> Seriously. I've been wanting to have a playaround on Vista (especially
    >> Aero v Beryl) since it came out but I've yet to meet anyone using it.
    >> Maybe I need to get out more and meet some new people...
    >>

    >
    > Possibly not - your existing friends may be very smart.
    >
    > A friend of mine got it with a new laptop. It is a total dog of a thing -
    > she spends more time on the phone trying to get it sorted out than actually
    > using it!
    >
    >
    >

    For me Vista Ultimate running on a serious dual core system is great,
    not great for people who dont want to conform to the way MS says you
    should use your file system but it does stop end users being totally stupid

    --
    <http://tokoroa.dyndns.org> Tokoroa South Waikato Weather Live
     
    Collector»NZ, May 19, 2007
    #7
  8. JohnO

    BTMO Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote

    A friend of mine got it with a new laptop. It is a total dog of a thing -
    she spends more time on the phone trying to get it sorted out than actually
    using it!

    For me Vista Ultimate running on a serious dual core system is great, not
    great for people who dont want to conform to the way MS says you should use
    your file system but it does stop end users being totally stupid

    .... assuming they can use their PC at all!
     
    BTMO, May 19, 2007
    #8
  9. JohnO

    dog house Guest

    On Fri, 18 May 2007 18:36:25 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    >
    >
    > It doesn't matter to me - everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista
    > (both of them!) say its much ado about nothing - the 'wow' really
    > hasn't started for them...
    >


    Both of them .. wowl So you base your whole psychotic hatred regarding
    Vista on just two friends ...

    Im getting like wowl tingling ..


    If you think im taking the piss .. you would be right.

    Did i say Wowl enough ...

    Biggles ...
     
    dog house, May 19, 2007
    #9
  10. JohnO

    Miguel Guest

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 11:17:41 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > not great for people who don't want to conform to the way MS says you
    > should use your file system


    Hi...Just wondering what you meant by that. Can you give me some google
    keywords cos 'MS' + 'Vista' + 'filesystem' just comes up with NTFS (which
    I already knew).

    Also, slightly OT, your signature displays as a heap of HTML code and a
    picture of a rainbow saying it's twenty seven degrees in Tokoroa (you're
    kidding me....in late May :)

    Can you tell me what you're doing and what your signature should look
    like so I can try and sort out my newsreaders' configuration. (Pan 0.129)

    Regards
    Miguel
     
    Miguel, May 19, 2007
    #10
  11. JohnO

    Ken Guest

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 02:49:55 +0200 (CEST), dog house <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 May 2007 18:36:25 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> It doesn't matter to me - everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista
    >> (both of them!) say its much ado about nothing - the 'wow' really
    >> hasn't started for them...
    >>

    >
    >Both of them .. wowl So you base your whole psychotic hatred regarding
    >Vista on just two friends ...
    >
    >Im getting like wowl tingling ..
    >
    >
    >If you think im taking the piss .. you would be right.
    >
    >Did i say Wowl enough ...
    >
    >Biggles ...




    What a utter Dickhead you are..

    Its well known to people in the Know that VISTA is utter Crap..
     
    Ken , May 19, 2007
    #11
  12. JohnO

    Ken Guest

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 11:17:41 +1200, Collector»NZ <> wrote:

    >BTMO wrote:
    >> "Miguel" <> wrote
    >>
    >>
    >>>> [...] everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista
    >>>> (both of them!) say its much ado about nothing
    >>>>
    >>> Well at least you know people who are using Vista.
    >>>
    >>> Seriously. I've been wanting to have a playaround on Vista (especially
    >>> Aero v Beryl) since it came out but I've yet to meet anyone using it.
    >>> Maybe I need to get out more and meet some new people...
    >>>

    >>
    >> Possibly not - your existing friends may be very smart.
    >>
    >> A friend of mine got it with a new laptop. It is a total dog of a thing -
    >> she spends more time on the phone trying to get it sorted out than actually
    >> using it!
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >For me Vista Ultimate running on a serious dual core system is great,
    >not great for people who dont want to conform to the way MS says you
    >should use your file system but it does stop end users being totally stupid




    THIS IS NOT A BINARY NEWS GROUP..??

    SO WHY ARE YOU POSTING A BINARY..?
     
    Ken , May 19, 2007
    #12
  13. JohnO

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 18 May 2007 18:36:25 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > It doesn't matter to me - everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista
    > (both of them!) say its much ado about nothing - the 'wow' really hasn't
    > started for them...


    Game over. Who cares. They have *upgraded*
     
    Gordon, May 19, 2007
    #13
  14. JohnO

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 16:16:40 +1200, Ken Yates wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 11:17:41 +1200, Collector»NZ
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>BTMO wrote:
    >>> "Miguel" <> wrote
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>> [...] everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista (both of them!) say
    >>>>> its much ado about nothing
    >>>>>
    >>>> Well at least you know people who are using Vista.
    >>>>
    >>>> Seriously. I've been wanting to have a playaround on Vista
    >>>> (especially Aero v Beryl) since it came out but I've yet to meet
    >>>> anyone using it. Maybe I need to get out more and meet some new
    >>>> people...
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Possibly not - your existing friends may be very smart.
    >>>
    >>> A friend of mine got it with a new laptop. It is a total dog of a
    >>> thing - she spends more time on the phone trying to get it sorted out
    >>> than actually using it!
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>For me Vista Ultimate running on a serious dual core system is great,
    >>not great for people who dont want to conform to the way MS says you
    >>should use your file system but it does stop end users being totally
    >>stupid

    >
    >
    >
    > THIS IS NOT A BINARY NEWS GROUP..??
    >
    > SO WHY ARE YOU POSTING A BINARY..?


    Cause computers take this message to you. As did your message to me.
     
    Gordon, May 19, 2007
    #14
  15. JohnO

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 16:15:09 +1200, Ken Yates wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 02:49:55 +0200 (CEST), dog house
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 18 May 2007 18:36:25 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't matter to me - everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista
    >>> (both of them!) say its much ado about nothing - the 'wow' really
    >>> hasn't started for them...
    >>>
    >>>

    >>Both of them .. wowl So you base your whole psychotic hatred regarding
    >>Vista on just two friends ...
    >>
    >>Im getting like wowl tingling ..
    >>
    >>
    >>If you think im taking the piss .. you would be right.
    >>
    >>Did i say Wowl enough ...
    >>
    >>Biggles ...

    >
    >
    >
    > What a utter Dickhead you are..
    >
    > Its well known to people in the Know that VISTA is utter Crap..


    Oh dear another, another person who is having trouble finding the ball to
    play.
     
    Gordon, May 19, 2007
    #15
  16. On Sat, 19 May 2007 16:15:09 +1200, Ken Yates wrote:

    > Its well known to people in the Know that VISTA is utter Crap.


    It's even better known that M$ Windows is little more than a complete pile
    of buggy shite that has been designed to let viruses get an easy foothold.


    --
    Jonathan Walker

    "You'll have to excuse me — I have a long
    bath and a short dress to get into."
     
    Jonathan Walker, May 19, 2007
    #16
  17. On Sat, 19 May 2007 05:33:23 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Well the June 2007 issue of Oz PC Authority has a few words abouts a
    > survey on people and there desire to upgrade to Vista. People know about
    > Vista ( 80% ) number who plan to upgrade 12%.


    As many as 12%? So many people that have been sucked in by M$'s propaganda.


    --
    Jonathan Walker

    "You'll have to excuse me — I have a long
    bath and a short dress to get into."
     
    Jonathan Walker, May 19, 2007
    #17
  18. On Sat, 19 May 2007 05:34:49 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    >> It doesn't matter to me - everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista
    >> (both of them!) say its much ado about nothing - the 'wow' really hasn't
    >> started for them...

    >
    > Game over. Who cares. They have *upgraded*


    Perhaps the better analogy is that their independant life is over - they
    have been assimilated by the Borg.


    --
    Jonathan Walker

    "You'll have to excuse me — I have a long
    bath and a short dress to get into."
     
    Jonathan Walker, May 19, 2007
    #18
  19. Hi there,

    Miguel wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 May 2007 18:36:25 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>[...] everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista
    >>(both of them!) say its much ado about nothing

    >
    >
    > Well at least you know people who are using Vista.


    Yes, but they aren't terribly impressed by it.

    > Seriously. I've been wanting to have a playaround on Vista (especially
    > Aero v Beryl) since it came out but I've yet to meet anyone using it.
    > Maybe I need to get out more and meet some new people...


    I've had a couple of 15-20 minute sessions on demo machines
    at Harvey Normans. One machine I played with was an Athlon64
    4800+ with 1GB RAM, and an ATI x300 graphics adaptor. It was
    fairly responsive, but I can imagine that many people will get
    bored quickly with the 'wow', as MS call it.

    Beryl vs. Aero? I pick Beryl, because its more customisable
    despite not being as polished as Aero. Oh, and Beryl runs
    fine on modest hardware well below the minimum spec that MS
    recommend for Aero.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...
     
    Chris Wilkinson, May 19, 2007
    #19
  20. Hi there,

    dog house wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 May 2007 18:36:25 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >>It doesn't matter to me - everyone I know who has upgraded to Vista
    >>(both of them!) say its much ado about nothing - the 'wow' really
    >>hasn't started for them...

    >
    > Both of them .. wowl So you base your whole psychotic hatred regarding
    > Vista on just two friends ...


    ....who happen to be the IT dude and Office manager at work, both
    well qualified to comment as they see fit about Vista.

    I've had a couple of 15-20 minutes plays, during which I felt
    overwhelmingly that it was just XP with a few more decorations.
    The only context in which I would say 'wow' about Vista would
    be along the lines of "wow, there really isn't much new in this
    compared to XP..."

    Whats this about psychotic hatred? Are you making up stories again?
    If you must know there are plenty of advertising campaigns that I
    poke fun at for their sensationalising of humdrum products...

    > Im getting like wowl tingling ..
    >
    >
    > If you think im taking the piss .. you would be right.
    >
    > Did i say Wowl enough ...


    No, you said 'wowl', which I think is what tom-cats do when they're
    confronting an enemy or having their way with a female...

    Careful, you'll get your nuts lopped off if u cause too much trouble
    in your 'hood... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...
     
    Chris Wilkinson, May 19, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Allan
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    901
    Tim V.
    May 1, 2006
  2. Replies:
    6
    Views:
    402
    Larry
    Oct 28, 2004
  3. Rich
    Replies:
    61
    Views:
    2,359
    Bob Larter
    Jul 13, 2009
  4. Rich

    Cruddy P&S sales drop for Sony, DSLR sales jump

    Rich, Aug 1, 2009, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    469
  5. Mary Hanna
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    342
    Mary Hanna
    Dec 4, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page