    I thought that they'd only sell 12 copies of it...
    and thus far MS has sold 24 copies of Vista...

    *double* my expectations !

    philo, Feb 24, 2007

  2. "philo" <> wrote in message
    news:45e00a9c$0$16359$...
    > yep...
    > I thought that they'd only sell 12 copies of it...
    > and thus far MS has sold 24 copies of Vista...
    >
    > *double* my expectations !

    WOW! You are the most amazing person in the world, ever!

    If I ever have a party I am going to invite you along - with anecdotes like
    that floating around your head, I bet you would be the life and soul of the
    place once you get a couple of shandys down your neck!

    Your hilarity is intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your
    newsletter.

    Michael Cargill, Feb 24, 2007

  3. philo

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Michael Cargill wrote:
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> yep...
    >> I thought that they'd only sell 12 copies of it...
    >> and thus far MS has sold 24 copies of Vista...
    >>
    >> *double* my expectations !

    > WOW! You are the most amazing person in the world, ever!
    >
    > If I ever have a party I am going to invite you along - with
    > anecdotes like that floating around your head, I bet you would be the
    > life and soul of the place once you get a couple of shandys down your
    > neck!
    > Your hilarity is intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your
    > newsletter.

    FOAD

    WhzzKdd, Feb 24, 2007
  4. philo

    WhzzKdd Guest

    philo wrote:
    > yep...
    > I thought that they'd only sell 12 copies of it...
    > and thus far MS has sold 24 copies of Vista...
    >
    > *double* my expectations !

    Speaking of Vista, I'd mentioned before that it ran very poorly on my 3.0GHz
    (hyperthreading) with 1.5GB RAM. So I dropped a $100 nVidia 7600GS video
    adapter in there, and it made a substantial difference. The system is now
    quite usable, although not exactly "perky". So add that to the cost of
    upgrades: Vista $120, 1GB RAM $90, video card $100. Not exactly an
    economical upgrade to a 2 year old computer.

    WhzzKdd, Feb 24, 2007
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > WOW! You are the most amazing person in the world, ever!

    I only meant to be mildly amusing...
    didn't know anyone would think my comments were amazing...

    I am deeply flattered.

    () snerk ()

    philo, Feb 24, 2007
  6. philo

    Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <> wrote:

    >philo wrote:
    >> yep...
    >> I thought that they'd only sell 12 copies of it...
    >> and thus far MS has sold 24 copies of Vista...
    >>
    >> *double* my expectations !

    >Speaking of Vista, I'd mentioned before that it ran very poorly on my 3.0GHz
    >(hyperthreading) with 1.5GB RAM. So I dropped a $100 nVidia 7600GS video
    >adapter in there, and it made a substantial difference. The system is now
    >quite usable, although not exactly "perky". So add that to the cost of
    >upgrades: Vista $120, 1GB RAM $90, video card $100. Not exactly an
    >economical upgrade to a 2 year old computer.

    On the bright side you have a video card that might last a year;
    "Currently, the only graphics hardware compatible with DirectX 10 is
    the nVidia 8800 series"-it's around $500-$700 each (Froogle.com)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directx#DirectX_10

    Of course this is subject to change, but I wouldn't expect the price
    to change much.
    --
    A Day in the Life
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gZez_k4vAzU

    , Feb 24, 2007
  7. philo wrote:

    > I only meant to be mildly amusing...
    > didn't know anyone would think my comments were amazing...
    >
    > I am deeply flattered.

    I took a brief look at his earlier posts to this group. Nothing but
    telling people how stupid he thinks they are. A great addition to the
    Borg, eh?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 24, 2007
  8. "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in message

    > Speaking of Vista, I'd mentioned before that it ran very poorly on my
    > 3.0GHz (hyperthreading) with 1.5GB RAM. So I dropped a $100 nVidia 7600GS
    > video adapter in there, and it made a substantial difference. The system
    > is now quite usable, although not exactly "perky". So add that to the cost
    > of upgrades: Vista $120, 1GB RAM $90, video card $100. Not exactly an
    > economical upgrade to a 2 year old computer.

    What actually is your point?

    You buy a computer and then moan about having to upgrade it when a new OS
    comes out 2 years later? You would probably have to do the same thing if
    there was a new game you wanted to play as well.

    Michael Cargill, Feb 24, 2007
  9. "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    >
    >> I only meant to be mildly amusing...
    >> didn't know anyone would think my comments were amazing...
    >>
    >> I am deeply flattered.

    > I took a brief look at his earlier posts to this group. Nothing but
    > telling people how stupid he thinks they are. A great addition to the
    > Borg, eh?

    Perhaps if I posted some 'hilarious' jokes like Philo did, that would
    balance things up a bit?

    Michael Cargill, Feb 24, 2007
  10. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > Perhaps if I posted some 'hilarious' jokes like Philo did, that would
    > balance things up a bit?

    It's pretty hard to come up with something more clever than I did.

    () snork ()

    philo, Feb 24, 2007
  11. philo

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Michael Cargill wrote:
    > "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Speaking of Vista, I'd mentioned before that it ran very poorly on my
    >> 3.0GHz (hyperthreading) with 1.5GB RAM. So I dropped a $100 nVidia
    >> 7600GS video adapter in there, and it made a substantial difference.
    >> The system is now quite usable, although not exactly "perky". So add
    >> that to the cost of upgrades: Vista $120, 1GB RAM $90, video card
    >> $100. Not exactly an economical upgrade to a 2 year old computer.

    > What actually is your point?
    >
    > You buy a computer and then moan about having to upgrade it when a
    > new OS comes out 2 years later? You would probably have to do the
    > same thing if there was a new game you wanted to play as well.

    Moaning? I don't moan. I don't even whine or whimper. (I may whiz once in a
    while, though.) I was merely stating the facts - upgrading to Vista isn't
    cheap.

    You just found yourself a place in my looney bin. Goodbye - and no great
    loss.

    WhzzKdd, Feb 24, 2007
  12. philo

    elaich Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in news:Yg3Eh.73$bD3.25
    @newsfe03.lga:

    > I was merely stating the facts - upgrading to Vista isn't
    > cheap.

    Who says it's an upgrade? And why did you feel compelled to downgrade to
    Vista? XP wasn't working properly?

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Feb 25, 2007
  13. philo

    WhzzKdd Guest

    elaich wrote:
    > "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in
    > news:Yg3Eh.73$bD3.25 @newsfe03.lga:
    >
    >> I was merely stating the facts - upgrading to Vista isn't
    >> cheap.
    >>

    > Who says it's an upgrade? And why did you feel compelled to downgrade
    > to Vista? XP wasn't working properly?

    Learning experience. At some point, I'll have people bringing broken Vista
    Windows to me. Uprading is the "Microsoft" term for the process, not mine
    <g>

    WhzzKdd, Feb 25, 2007
  14. philo

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:14:07 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > "WhzzKdd" <>, intended to write
    > something intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >
    >> Michael Cargill wrote:
    >>> "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in message

    >>> What actually is your point?
    >>>
    >>> You buy a computer and then moan about having to upgrade it when a
    >>> new OS comes out 2 years later? You would probably have to do the
    >>> same thing if there was a new game you wanted to play as well.

    >> Moaning? I don't moan. I don't even whine or whimper. (I may whiz
    >> once in a while, though.)

    > ...and when he does it's like that cheese in a can.

    ;)

    WhzzKdd, Feb 25, 2007
  15. philo

    Frosty Guest

    Frosty, Feb 25, 2007
  16. philo

    Frosty Guest

    On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:14:07 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    "WhzzKdd" <>, intended to write
    something intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >Michael Cargill wrote:
    >> "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Speaking of Vista, I'd mentioned before that it ran very poorly on my
    >>> 3.0GHz (hyperthreading) with 1.5GB RAM. So I dropped a $100 nVidia
    >>> 7600GS video adapter in there, and it made a substantial difference.
    >>> The system is now quite usable, although not exactly "perky". So add
    >>> that to the cost of upgrades: Vista $120, 1GB RAM $90, video card
    >>> $100. Not exactly an economical upgrade to a 2 year old computer.

    >> What actually is your point?
    >>
    >> You buy a computer and then moan about having to upgrade it when a
    >> new OS comes out 2 years later? You would probably have to do the
    >> same thing if there was a new game you wanted to play as well.

    >Moaning? I don't moan. I don't even whine or whimper. (I may whiz once in a
    >while, though.)

    ....and when he does it's like that cheese in a can.

    >You just found yourself a place in my looney bin. Goodbye - and no great
    >loss.

    Don't let the Usenet door hit you in the arse on your way through it.

    Frosty, Feb 25, 2007
  17. "philo" <> wrote in news:45e0719b$0$16290$88260bb3
    @free.teranews.com:

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Perhaps if I posted some 'hilarious' jokes like Philo did, that would
    >> balance things up a bit?
    >>

    > It's pretty hard to come up with something more clever than I did.
    >

    > () snork ()

    Or you could just **** off to a humour group.
    You may have noticed this is called helpdesk.
    Or is it a cry for help?

    Womble Toucher, Feb 25, 2007
  18. philo

    Jamo Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in

    > elaich wrote:
    >> "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in
    >> news:Yg3Eh.73$bD3.25 @newsfe03.lga:
    >>
    >>> I was merely stating the facts - upgrading to Vista isn't
    >>> cheap.
    >>>

    >> Who says it's an upgrade? And why did you feel compelled to downgrade
    >> to Vista? XP wasn't working properly?

    > Learning experience. At some point, I'll have people bringing broken
    > Vista Windows to me. Uprading is the "Microsoft" term for the process,
    > not mine <g>

    It will be interesting to see how the automatic update performs.
    After the ammount of updates and hotfixes to XP which fill my Add/Remove
    list for which microsoft should have got right by now, I guess vista users
    modems are gonna be pretty busy putting things right for quite some time.
    Keep us informed

    Jamo, Feb 25, 2007
  19. philo

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Womble Toucher wrote:
    > "philo" <> wrote in news:45e0719b$0$16290$88260bb3
    > @free.teranews.com:
    >
    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps if I posted some 'hilarious' jokes like Philo did, that
    >>> would balance things up a bit?
    >>>

    >> It's pretty hard to come up with something more clever than I did.
    >>

    >> () snork ()
    >>

    > Or you could just **** off to a humour group.
    > You may have noticed this is called helpdesk.
    > Or is it a cry for help?

    Keep your hands off those wombles! And since there's nothing OT here, let
    him post and clam up.

    WhzzKdd, Feb 25, 2007
  20. On 2007-02-25, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Womble Toucher waxed eloquently:
    snip

    > Or you could just **** off to a humour group.
    > You may have noticed this is called helpdesk.
    > Or is it a cry for help?

    Who died and made you moderator?
    FOAD
    HAND

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

    The Old Sourdough, Feb 25, 2007