    Ive had to replace a dead motherboard and now vistaHP will not boot up.

    I tried the repair options and chkdisk with the Vista DVD but no luck.

    Dont really want to wipe and reinstall.
    Sleepy-Tom, Nov 29, 2008

  2. Sleepy-Tom wrote:

    > Ive had to replace a dead motherboard and now vistaHP will not boot
    > up. I tried the repair options and chkdisk with the Vista DVD but no
    > luck. Dont really want to wipe and reinstall.

    You replaced a major piece of hardware. Perhaps Microsoft wants you to
    purchase another copy of the operating system - which was inexorably
    tied to the old board.

    Basic question: where exactly in the boot process does it stop?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 29, 2008

  3. Sleepy-Tom wrote:

    > Ive had to replace a dead motherboard and now vistaHP will not boot up.
    >
    > I tried the repair options and chkdisk with the Vista DVD but no luck.
    >
    > Dont really want to wipe and reinstall.

    Unless your new mainboard is exactly the same brand and make, your vista has
    already customized itself to fit only on that special mobo.
    If you have a recovery or OEM version, it may be tight-fitted to the bios or
    mainboard and the license expires with the computer/mainboard dying.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 29, 2008