    Jonno Guest

    Is it true with Vista that it takes 9 recovery CD's?

    Jonno

    Jonno, Dec 29, 2007

  2. Jonno

    Jonno Guest

    "Jonno" <> wrote in message
    news:4775d203$...
    > Is it true with Vista that it takes 9 recovery CD's?
    >
    > Jonno

    Err, this is not a troll I really want to know. Have a friend with a new PC
    and he wants me to do the recovery disks and just want to know how many to
    take with me TIA

    Jonno

    Jonno, Dec 29, 2007

  3. Jonno

    Squiggle Guest

    Jonno wrote:
    > "Jonno" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it true with Vista that it takes 9 recovery CD's?
    >>
    >> Jonno
    >>

    > Err, this is not a troll I really want to know. Have a friend with a new PC
    > and he wants me to do the recovery disks and just want to know how many to
    > take with me TIA
    >
    > Jonno

    I have no idea what the answer to the question is.. but why not use DVDs?

    Squiggle, Dec 29, 2007
  4. Jonno

    Jonno Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > Jonno wrote:
    >> "Jonno" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is it true with Vista that it takes 9 recovery CD's?
    >>>
    >>> Jonno
    >>>

    >> Err, this is not a troll I really want to know. Have a friend with a new
    >> PC and he wants me to do the recovery disks and just want to know how
    >> many to take with me TIA
    >>
    >> Jonno

    > I have no idea what the answer to the question is.. but why not use DVDs?

    No reason at all. Apparently it specified CD's so I just went along with
    that. I'm just a bit surprised that it wants to make over 6 Gigs of recovery
    disks. So if anyone has Vista or has made recovery disks for Vista does 6
    gigs sound about right for a basic setup of Premium? Thanks.

    Jonno

    Jonno, Dec 29, 2007
  5. Jonno

    Cima Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:31:22 +1300, "Jonno" <> wrote:

    >"Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    >> Jonno wrote:
    >>> "Jonno" <> wrote in message

    >>> Err, this is not a troll I really want to know. Have a friend with a new
    >>> PC and he wants me to do the recovery disks and just want to know how
    >>> many to take with me TIA
    >>>
    >>> Jonno

    >> I have no idea what the answer to the question is.. but why not use DVDs?

    >No reason at all. Apparently it specified CD's so I just went along with
    >that. I'm just a bit surprised that it wants to make over 6 Gigs of recovery
    >disks. So if anyone has Vista or has made recovery disks for Vista does 6
    >gigs sound about right for a basic setup of Premium? Thanks.
    >
    >Jonno

    My laptop did 2 DVDs for its recovery set (Vista Home Premium).

    Might pay you to take 15 or so CDs (just to be sure) if it won't take DVDs. Some
    HP's with XP take a dozen CDs to build their set. Takes bloody ages too, so be
    prepared for a few hours wait!

    Cima, Dec 29, 2007
  6. Jonno

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Cima" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:31:22 +1300, "Jonno" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Squiggle" <> wrote in message

    >>> I have no idea what the answer to the question is.. but why not use
    >>> DVDs?

    >>No reason at all. Apparently it specified CD's so I just went along with
    >>that. I'm just a bit surprised that it wants to make over 6 Gigs of
    >>recovery
    >>disks. So if anyone has Vista or has made recovery disks for Vista does 6
    >>gigs sound about right for a basic setup of Premium? Thanks.
    >>
    >>Jonno

    > My laptop did 2 DVDs for its recovery set (Vista Home Premium).
    >
    > Might pay you to take 15 or so CDs (just to be sure) if it won't take
    > DVDs. Some
    > HP's with XP take a dozen CDs to build their set. Takes bloody ages too,
    > so be
    > prepared for a few hours wait!

    That's right about 12 CDs for XP on a HP. I told the friend with it that it
    was hardly worth the stuffing round. It would only take one small error to
    end up with 12 coasters instead of a back up for XP that might work in a few
    years time if ever needed or then again might never work anyway.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 29, 2007
  7. Jonno

    trueone Guest

    "Jonno" <> wrote in message
    > Is it true with Vista that it takes 9 recovery CD's?
    >
    > Jonno

    Using paragon drive image on my laptop with vista home premium it said it
    wanted 18 cd's. DVD was not an option.

    I didnt bother. Decided to just reinstall if anything goes wrong but so far
    after a year still okay.

    trueone, Dec 29, 2007
  8. Jonno

    Jonno Guest

    "trueone" <> wrote in message

    > Using paragon drive image on my laptop with vista home premium it said it
    > wanted 18 cd's. DVD was not an option.
    >
    > I didnt bother. Decided to just reinstall if anything goes wrong but so
    > far after a year still okay.

    Holy Cow. As this aint my machine so I guess I'll just do what it wants.
    Thanks for answering.

    Jonno

    Jonno, Dec 29, 2007
  9. Jonno

    Jonno Guest

    > That's right about 12 CDs for XP on a HP. I told the friend with it that
    > it was hardly worth the stuffing round. It would only take one small
    > error to end up with 12 coasters instead of a back up for XP that might
    > work in a few years time if ever needed or then again might never work
    > anyway.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I've always used Ghost to back up my own machine and found that to be great.
    20 Minutes to reinstall the whole thing.
    Thanks for your answer Scroogie

    Jonno

    Jonno, Dec 29, 2007
  10. Jonno

    Jonno Guest

    "Cima" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:31:22 +1300, "Jonno" <>
    > wrote:
    > My laptop did 2 DVDs for its recovery set (Vista Home Premium).
    >
    > Might pay you to take 15 or so CDs (just to be sure) if it won't take
    > DVDs. Some
    > HP's with XP take a dozen CDs to build their set. Takes bloody ages too,
    > so be
    > prepared for a few hours wait!

    Yeah I'll just take a 50 pack in case I have to start again...and a bottle
    of wine to wile away the time. Thanks for your answer

    Jonno

    Jonno, Dec 29, 2007
  11. Jonno

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Jonno" <> wrote in message

    > "trueone" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Using paragon drive image on my laptop with vista home premium it said it
    >> wanted 18 cd's. DVD was not an option.
    >>
    >> I didnt bother. Decided to just reinstall if anything goes wrong but so
    >> far after a year still okay.

    > Holy Cow. As this aint my machine so I guess I'll just do what it wants.
    > Thanks for answering.
    >
    > Jonno

    It's also tough luck if there's any problems with the recovery discs on an
    HP PC at least. Once the CDs have been made the recovery files on the PC
    are deleted.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 29, 2007
  12. Jonno

    Jonno Guest

    > "Jonno" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "trueone" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Using paragon drive image on my laptop with vista home premium it said
    >>> it wanted 18 cd's. DVD was not an option.
    >>>
    >>> I didnt bother. Decided to just reinstall if anything goes wrong but so
    >>> far after a year still okay.

    >> Holy Cow. As this aint my machine so I guess I'll just do what it wants.
    >> Thanks for answering.
    >>
    >> Jonno

    > It's also tough luck if there's any problems with the recovery discs on an
    > HP PC at least. Once the CDs have been made the recovery files on the PC
    > are deleted.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Quite true Scroogie. Another friends daughter had that problem with her new
    HP PC. She cocked up the recovery discs and the machine seemingly deleted
    the files to make another set. Of course Bond and Bond were more than
    useless and HP about as useful as wading through a trough of cow manure. Not
    sure what she did in the end...probably gave up and hoped for the best :-(

    Jonno

    Jonno, Dec 30, 2007
  13. In article <4775d203$>, Jonno did write:

    > Is it true with Vista that it takes 9 recovery CD's?

    Are you still using Vista? How about trying this wonderful new OS from
    Microsoft
    <http://dotnet.org.za/codingsanity/archive/2007/12/14/review-windows-xp.aspx>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 30, 2007