Vista RC1 Available for Download

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006.

  1. Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006

  2. Tony Sperling, Sep 6, 2006

  3. Yes.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 6, 2006
  4. Yes.

    The good news is, I've had this on my Ferrari for 6 days now, and I'm using
    it for 85-95% of my work. I have booted over to XP x64 an average of once
    every other day for something specific, and then booted back. It's a solid
    release.

    The bad news is it's still a resource hog and the driver issues are still
    significant. Anyone who has already solved the XP x64 driver issues is
    likely to be mostly OK, though there are a few gotchas that are still
    getting sorted. (no drivers for my Audigy 2 NX, for example. Well, actually,
    there are drivers, they just don't work correctly.) First time x64 users are
    going to have a steep learning curve, and we should be prepared to help
    them.

    Compatibility with various apps is roughly the same as in XP x64, with the
    exception of anything that interacts with IE. For IE, we have a whole new
    layer of incompatibility, sadly.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006
  5. Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

    Jane C Guest

    64 bit driver issues? What are they? ;-)
    Although not perfect, RC1 is greatly improved over Beta 2. Shaping up well
    indeed :)

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation :)

    Jane C, Sep 7, 2006
  6. I just install the 32bit drivers twice.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 7, 2006
  7. Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

    Jane C Guest

    ROFL!!

    Jane C, Sep 7, 2006
  8. Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

    RonK Guest

    Colin - You do realize that the newbies WILL try that ! LOL

    RonK, Sep 7, 2006
  9. It's not just newbies. I recently posted an item from eBay.uk in which a
    system seller insisted that his Core 2 Duo machines ran at 5.33 Ghz because
    each core ran at 2.66 and there since there were two of them....

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 7, 2006
  10. Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Larry Hodges, Sep 7, 2006
  11. Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

    RonK Guest

    LOL

    RonK, Sep 7, 2006
  12. According to the release notes available to TechBeta, this upgrade is not
    yet supported. You must still use Custom Install for x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 7, 2006
  13. Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Ok, thanks Colin.

    Larry Hodges, Sep 7, 2006
  14. It would appear that different releases have different limitations, this one
    seems to be more forgiving:
    ---snip---
    Installation limitations
    There are three installation scenarios for Windows Vista RC1:
    1.. You can do a clean installation. This process will overwrite any data
    that you have on your hard disk or on your installation partition. The
    overwritten data will be lost and unrecoverable.
    2.. You can upgrade an existing installation of Windows XP.
    3.. You can upgrade an existing installation of Windows Vista Beta 2.

    No other installation scenarios are supported. Upgrading to this beta from
    any other edition of Windows requires a clean installation, as described in
    option 1.

    ---snip---

    This, and more can be seen on the support web site at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 7, 2006
  15. Yes, RC1 is the first really usable build I've seen so far. I've still got
    some issues, and I still feel some pain. But it's manageable.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 7, 2006
  16. Charlie,

    The download is complete - the download page mentions a support page from
    where to register and get a product key, but no such option is there. I
    never installed the Beta (well I did, but that was just for a day) and I no
    longer have the original e-mails.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 7, 2006
  17. The CPP page also says that "If you are not registered but would like to
    receive Windows Vista RC1, the CPP will open to new participants in the
    coming weeks. Please check this site periodically for updates."

    Note "in the coming weeks."

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 7, 2006
  18. But #2 and #3 do not apply to Vista x64. Only Vista x86. Cross platform
    upgrades (x86 to x64) will never be supported because of different
    requirements for device drivers, etc. Enabling XP x64 to Vista x64 upgrades
    are an objective of the Vista Team but whether it will work out remains to
    be seen.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 7, 2006
  19. Sorry, no help here. The Beta 2 keys are supposed to work, so that was the
    solution expected.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 7, 2006
  20. Won't happen. Personal opinion, but the device driver issue is probably the
    biggest stumbling block. I just don't see an IPU for XP x64 to Vista x64.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 7, 2006