  1. Bluesplayer

    Bluesplayer Guest

    Can you run Vista with less than 512 meg of ram >?

    Bluesplayer, Apr 20, 2008

  2. Bluesplayer

    Paul Guest

    Bluesplayer wrote:
    > Can you run Vista with less than 512 meg of ram >?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919183/en-us

    It doesn't look like you'd want to. If the computer
    is that low on memory, either stick with a previous
    version of Windows or go with Linux.

    The biggest reason for upgrading, would probably be
    for gaming on the PC. For example, I have Win2K, and
    support has substantially dropped for it, even though
    it is very similar to WinXP. For example, a video card
    I was interested in, only has WinXP or Vista drivers,
    and there is no longer a driver for Win2K. And some
    game installers are quite picky, and will refuse to
    install or deal with Win2K.

    But a lot of other software will continue to run just
    fine using older operating system options.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 20, 2008

  3. Bluesplayer

    flaming-o Guest

    You really will hate Vista even more if you run it on anything less than an
    Intel Core Duo/Quad with at least 2gbs of RAM and a video card with at least
    256mbs of memory that is not more than one generation old, either NVidia or
    ATI.

    flaming-o, Apr 20, 2008
  4. According to the system requirements, no.

    RAM is cheap. Buy some.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 20, 2008
  5. Bluesplayer

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > According to the system requirements, no.
    >
    > RAM is cheap. Buy some.

    There are some chipsets, that have a 512MB total RAM limit.
    Some of Intel's handywork (not done for tech reasons but
    for marketing reasons).

    See the five rightmost columns here. 810 and 815 chipsets.
    http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/mature/index.htm

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 20, 2008
  6. "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fug4no$fqd$...
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> According to the system requirements, no.
    >>
    >> RAM is cheap. Buy some.
    >>

    > There are some chipsets, that have a 512MB total RAM limit.
    > Some of Intel's handywork (not done for tech reasons but
    > for marketing reasons).

    That is true, but the processors they carry do not support Vista ...

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 20, 2008
  7. Bluesplayer

    Bluesplayer Guest

    On 20 Apr, 15:27, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in messagenews:fug4no$fqd$...
    > > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > >> According to the system requirements, no.

    > >> RAM is cheap. Buy some.

    > > There are some chipsets, that have a 512MB total RAM limit.
    > > Some of Intel's handywork (not done for tech reasons but
    > > for marketing reasons).

    > That is true, but the processors they carry do not support Vista ...

    The reason i asked the question is because at the moment im running
    win xp ser2 on spare rig using only 128 meg of ram and it flies . I
    was just curious as to what would happen . I see it as an experiment
    thats all .

    Bluesplayer, Apr 28, 2008
  8. "Bluesplayer" <> wrote in message
    > On 20 Apr, 15:27, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:

    >> > There are some chipsets, that have a 512MB total RAM limit.
    >> > Some of Intel's handywork (not done for tech reasons but
    >> > for marketing reasons).

    >> That is true, but the processors they carry do not support Vista ...

    > The reason i asked the question is because at the moment im running
    > win xp ser2 on spare rig using only 128 meg of ram and it flies . I
    > was just curious as to what would happen . I see it as an experiment
    > thats all .

    The System Requirements for Vista say you need 512M of RAM, I run 1G on one
    machine and 2G on another.

    There is a Processor Speed requirement as well. I don't recall what it is.

    Load it and see what hapens. It should be very slow.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 28, 2008