    actually use it all....'am I right?
    Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?

    Joe.
    Joe, Jul 30, 2007

  2. Joe

    Pee Jay Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:21:40 GMT, "Joe" <>
    wrote:

    >A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
    >actually use it all....'am I right?
    >Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?

    This site says 4gb (32 bit) 8gb + (64 bit)

    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_02.asp

    --
    Pee Jay
    NSW Australia
    Pee Jay, Jul 30, 2007

  3. Joe

    Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote:

    >A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
    >actually use it all....'am I right?
    >Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?

    It's windows for gosh sake, it will use as much RAM as you can throw
    at it.

    And Vista uses it more than it's predecessors.

    --
    Turn A PENCIL Into A LIGHT
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/726251/turn_a_pencil_into_a_light/
  4. Joe

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > "Joe" <> wrote:
    >

    > >A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
    > >actually use it all....'am I right?
    > >Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?

    > It's windows for gosh sake, it will use as much RAM as you can throw
    > at it.
    >
    > And Vista uses it more than it's predecessors.

    Actually, depending on the motherboard and version if Vista, it will
    only use 4GB Max and many motherboards don't allow access to the full
    4GB, so 3GB is fully available in Vista.

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
    3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
    not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
    googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.
    Leythos, Jul 30, 2007
  5. Joe

    Star@*.* Guest

    wrote:

    >A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
    >actually use it all....'am I right?
    >Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?
    >
    >Joe.

    No your wrong.
    Vista depending on 32Bit or 64bit will accept 4G or 8G. The 32 bit
    version will only use 3G or the 4G the rest is reserver for the system
    I/O and mapping.

    Art
    Star@*.*, Jul 30, 2007
  6. Joe

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> "Joe" <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
    >> >actually use it all....'am I right?
    >> >Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?

    >> It's windows for gosh sake, it will use as much RAM as you can throw
    >> at it.
    >>
    >> And Vista uses it more than it's predecessors.

    > Actually, depending on the motherboard and version if Vista, it will
    > only use 4GB Max and many motherboards don't allow access to the full
    > 4GB, so 3GB is fully available in Vista.

    Sometimes, you have to take the 4GB out take it down to 2GB or something
    like that before Vista will even install. After the install, you can put the
    ram back into the machine.
    Mr. Arnold, Jul 30, 2007
  7. Joe

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:21:40 GMT, Joe wrote:

    >A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
    >actually use it all....'am I right?
    >Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?

    4GB is okay,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605
    The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box
    in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

    <snip>

    For example, the System Information dialog box may report 3,120
    megabytes (MB) of system memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory
    installed (4,096 MB).

    <snip>

    For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB
    of memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements:
    The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that
    have this capability include the following:

    <snip>

    As mentioned in another post the slack is memory mapping and I/O.

    Read the rest of the article yourself.

    Vista 64-bit
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx
    Home Basic 8 GB