Vista problems 64 bit and 32 bit stability

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Brandon, May 13, 2008.

  1. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    This is part suggestion, part discussion, part complaint ... (a rant?)

    Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit

    I've been using Vista for some months now and I have to say I am deeply
    unhappy with the OS. I have it running on a Thinkpad T61 (2GHz x 2, 800 MHz
    FSB), 4GB RAM, 160 5400 SATA, nVidia NVS140m, etc.

    In my first outing I tried Vista 64bit so I could fully utilise all 4GB of
    RAM. Yes, while the RAM is available my feeling was that the performance of
    the laptop was below that of my previous Acer TM803 with 2GB with XP.

    Initially I had issues because of a known broadcast issue with DHCP and
    older routers - I could not get Wireless working with DHCP on my Linksys ADSL
    router. I did find the registry resolve for this but elected in the mean
    time to stop using DHCP as it was simpler (especially when rebuilding, etc).
    I would just hate to be a typical consumer user trying to deal with this O/S.
    I believe it would be unworkable for users with no technical background.

    Apart from the perception of general slow performance I felt beset by issues
    where apps., services, browsers, etc, simply stopped responding and had to be
    killed off, or worse, the computer had to be restarted.

    In terms of restarting the computer, that wasn't pretty either as more often
    than not it would fail to shut down properly, and then take an absolute age
    to start up again. I've also had issues where the computer wouldn't suspend
    or hibernate properly leading me to leave it on full-power mode most of the
    time (a laptop ...).

    I also seemed to have a lot of problems with dropping wireless connection
    that I hadn't previously experienced on Windows XP, and didn't experience
    when I later retried XP on this system.

    So; it was problems compounded with problems and more problems, and I'm
    LIVID at the amount of time I've wasted in front of what should have been a
    blisteringly fast laptop. It, along with Vista, and Office 2007, where not a
    trivial investment.

    * Well, it's unstable. Full stop. It might be the apps., but surely
    backward compatability is a watchword when rolling out an o/s?

    * Perhaps there are driver issues too; but aren't all of the drivers for
    64bit certified by Microsoft?

    * Superfetch seems to be an issue. It certainly cannot learn anything
    useful about my usage patterns if the PC is so unstable I have to keep
    rebooting it. I actually felt that 64 bit Vista provided a better user
    experience when SuperFetch was disabled. Is part of the problem here that
    it's caching native 64bit and WOW libraries on startup thus taking an age to
    get going and consuming almost 2GB for cache before I've actually had a
    chance to do anything with the computer? [If the kernel worked properly
    there probably won't be any need for ReadyBoost.]

    * UAC seems to be a big problem for existing applications.

    * There seems to be issues in IE where the browser hangs on when it's
    waiting on something (eg: network response or content rendering or something).

    Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit

    Having failed miserably with 64 bit I went back to 32 bit. This required
    that I gave away 1GB of RAM but appeared otherwise to be a little more
    stable. I still have problems with:

    * Some applications failing to start/respond.

    * Shutdown/suspend/hibernate issues.

    There's also some silly bugs in some of the apps. for example:

    * Attemping to burn a AVI file to DVD with Windows DVD maker; gets to 79.9%
    and then just sits forever with no progress, no discernable error, etc. Who
    tested this stuff?

    * If I try to use Windows Backup to backup to a disk which I previously used
    for a backup and then reformatted (same name), it still insists there are
    files backed up on the drive ...

    In general, my experience with Vista seems to be summarized by
    wait-wait-retry-kill-retry-reboot-power-off-restart-wait-wait.

    WHAT DO I WANT:

    * I spent a lot of money on the hardware and software. The combination DOES
    NOT LIVE UP TO THE PROMISE. I want a working FAST and STABLE system.

    * I want some level of granular control over the operation of the ReadyBoost
    and SuperFetch features as well as an easy way to identify and stop
    components in the system I don't need (which properly explains them, what
    they do and what the impact is of turning them off).

    * There are virtually no 64 bit applications for 64 bit Vista. Why can't
    you just allow 32 bit Vista to access > 4GB on systems that allow this? I've
    read lot's of forums about PAE/3GB/36bit/40bit addressing etc. This would
    allow for a leaner O/S which could still access larger amounts of RAM though
    limiting individual process address spaces; I think most people wouldn't have
    a problem with that. Works in Windows 32bit Servers - why not for Vista?

    RIGHT NOW:

    I'm trying out Linux distributions to see which ones come with the best h/w
    support for my T61. If MicroSoft can't get a handle on Vista then I will be
    an ex-customer.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...941&dg=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    Brandon, May 13, 2008

  2. I seriously doubt you will be happy with Linux if you can't
    cope with Windows!

    Bobby Johnson, May 13, 2008

  3. Brandon

    The Sizzler Guest

    I absolutely disagree!! This is another ignorant statement by a moron.

    Pack your computer back in the box it came in and return it for a refund
    since you obviuosly aren't smart enough to figure out to get it to work!

    The Sizzler, May 13, 2008
  4. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    Not sure whether your agreement matters or not - the problems are statements
    of fact.

    Its a consumer o/s, its supposed to just work, not be figured out. If I'm
    going to figure out something, I'll start with something that's known to be
    stable. Only thing I'll be using Vista for right now is in VMWare to keep
    running some necessary MS stuff until I'm sure I can put it in the bin.

    Everything else I could possibly want can be found on Lunix, much of it for
    free.

    Brandon, May 13, 2008
  5. If you are going to use Linux anyway, then I don't understand why you are
    bothering to post all this stuff here. It all sounds like sour grapes to
    me.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 13, 2008
  6. Brandon

    XS11E Guest

    The Sizzler <> wrote:

    > I absolutely disagree!! This is another ignorant statement by a
    > moron.
    >
    > Pack your computer back in the box it came in and return it for a
    > refund since you obviuosly aren't smart enough to figure out to
    > get it to work!

    Is Miss Perspicacia Tick back among us? If so, welcome, we've missed
    you. If not you could be in big trouble I think she copyrighted your
    last sentence! <G>

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

    XS11E, May 13, 2008
  7. Sounds like a TROLL to me...

    Gary J. DIkkema, May 17, 2008
  8. Brandon

    Jssamp Guest

    It looks like Brandon has been ignored but I am hoping someone can address
    some of his problems since I have some of the same ones.

    I have an HP Pavilion dv9500 with Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Vista Ultimate
    64-bit. I have intermittent problems that are getting really irritating. I
    use IE7 32-bit browser because the Flash Player won't work in the 64-bit IE7.
    Sometimes for no reason I can discern IE opens any more new tabs or windows
    with a black screen. It seems that everything is else is still happening, ie.
    if I was entering a transaction or purchase I can't see that it completed but
    if I restart IE and check on it, it was completed. Of course it's useless to
    me anyway, I have to restart. Usually closing all IE windows is sufficient
    and I can start IE again and it works for a while. Sometimes I have to
    restart Vista to get IE to display correctly.

    HP Tech Support twice told me it was the nVidia driver but installing the
    driver they gave me didn't help.

    Any Ideas?

    Jssamp, May 18, 2008